NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Iwata is ‘One of World’s Best CEOs’

Financial info-outlet Barron’s has named Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata as one of the world’s leading CEOs.

In its annual feature published this week, the website stated, “Little more than a year ago, it looked like game-over for Nintendo as Microsoft and Sony duked it out over the next generation of gaming consoles. Iwata, 47, changed all that with Wii. The strikingly innovative console converts body motions like the swing of a tennis racquet into ac-tions on a screen. Meanwhile, Nintendo’s Brain Age, aimed at boomers fearful of losing mental acuity, has be-come one of America’s top-selling games.

”Result: Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo’s earnings are jumping and its cash hoard has swelled to more than $6 billion. Iwata, a former game developer, says his strategy is simple: We are not fighting against other companies—we are fighting against ignorance of video games.” Certainly, no one is in the dark anymore about Nintendo’s potential.”

Feature can be found here.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he has really turned things around for Nintendo. I dread to think what the situation would be like now if he hadn't taken control.

True and very, very right. He is a saviour. Odd that Yamauchi chose him - with such a radical different vision from Yamauchi's own...

And what a sweet ass....

On a serious note he has done really well with Nintendo and turned things around for them.Making things simple and not complicated was a good thing.Well done,we salute you :)

Well I used to love Yamauchi, but Iwata has without a doubt turned Nintendo's direction...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he has really turned things around for Nintendo. I dread to think what the situation would be like now if he hadn't taken control.

Sega anybody?

Well I used to love Yamauchi, but Iwata has without a doubt turned Nintendo's direction...

Let me get this straight: you love batman leather-face Yamauchi? Lovely. it's like nobody would ever say it.

Yamauchi was a small fish playing in a big pond.

Nintendo is making its OWN pond...

I'lve said it once or twice. And I'll say it again. Satori Iwata; Salvation of Nintendo.

Aye,Yamauchi had no idea, he was just pulling the company down.

yamauchi was a do it or die but times have changed and people don't respond well to threats anymore.

anybody read game over?

it really gave an insight into him

Let me get this straight: you love batman leather-face Yamauchi? Lovely. it's like nobody would ever say it.

Yamauchi is Satan himself.

Aye,Yamauchi had no idea, he was just pulling the company down.

I do have my reasons for loving Yamauchi, he was the man who after all transformed Nintendo from card making, brothel owning (although I still believe they do own the brothel) taxi running to the gaming giant we now know, whilst there is no doubting he was a stubborn old fart and there is little doubt that in the modern gaming climate he wouldn't have stood a chance although he did have an eye for innovation and without him I think a lot of Nintendo's early gaming projects would never have got green light.

To say he had no idea is a bit strong, why not read Game On (I think it's the title, or maybe its Game Over, actually Game Over I think) a book about the history of Nintendo you will realise how astute he really was.

But I am still grateful for him moulding the foundations of the Nintendo (which was of course his families company after all) that we know and love now, and despite his famous stubborn nature, he was a character still! So yes I do love him!

Yamauch rocks!! He said the funniest things!

"People who play RPGs are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

and

"If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell."

I do have my reasons for loving Yamauchi, he was the man who after all transformed Nintendo from card making, brothel owning (although I still believe they do own the brothel) taxi running to the gaming giant we now know, whilst there is no doubting he was a stubborn old fart and there is little doubt that in the modern gaming climate he wouldn't have stood a chance although he did have an eye for innovation and without him I think a lot of Nintendo's early gaming projects would never have got green light.

To say he had no idea is a bit strong, why not read Game On (I think it's the title, or maybe its Game Over, actually Game Over I think) a book about the history of Nintendo you will realise how astute he really was.

But I am still grateful for him moulding the foundations of the Nintendo (which was of course his families company after all) that we know and love now, and despite his famous stubborn nature, he was a character still! So yes I do love him!

Adam, I was justt referring to his seemingly dangerous look. I never questioned his choice making (though I must ask: why would he choose Iwata? He did a great job, but it's pretty anti-Yamauchi-theory, no?)

Adam, I was justt referring to his seemingly dangerous look. I never questioned his choice making (though I must ask: why would he choose Iwata? He did a great job, but it's pretty anti-Yamauchi-theory, no?)

I know I was just quoting everyone that had bashed him lol!

Game Over is the name of the book I was talking about before, it's by David Sheff just found it, worth finding a copy if anyone can!

Wasn't Yamuachi the idiot that also messed up Nintendo's relations with Squaresoft back in 90s?

Probably the reason why he made that RPG comment.

I like Iwata for what he's done for the company and the Japanese industry but still, it seems like the only new IPs we'll ever see out of Nintendo again will be for casual gamers.

The only 'Touch Generations' game I ever bought was Nintendogs and I thought it was crap, Brain Training and the others don't warrant the price IMO.

I like the new Nintendo, and I'm starting to hate it too at the same time.

Wasn't Yamuachi the idiot that also messed up Nintendo's relations with Squaresoft back in 90s?

I like Iwata for what he's done for the company and the Japanese industry but still, it seems like the only new IPs we'll ever see out of Nintendo again will be for casual gamers.

The only 'Touch Generations' game I ever bought was Nintendogs and I thought it was crap, Brain Training and the others don't warrant the price IMO.

I completely understand and agree.

The RPG-thing, that was because Nintendo opted for a cart instead of disc-based media. They never got that sorted out again, though. But I see that you love and hate it too. I've got the feeling that, for regular hard-core games, I might consider getting myself a PS3 or X360 just to play some real games and be part of a community that's much smaller. It's just my sympathy (and low-budget life) that keeps me from going there.

Nono....The reason for the break up with Squaresoft was that comment.

Yamauchi rocks. In a dictator sort of way.

Just like Salazar.

I might consider getting myself a PS3 or X360 just to play some real games

What's a real game?

or is that a typo for 'realistic'?

Just like Salazar.

Shameless victory.:nono:

Wow, did Yamauchi actually said that about the DS?

I already knew about the RPG one.

What's a real game?

Good one.

Didn't Yamauchi also claim he didn't play videogames? I may have imagined that, but I can totally believe it.

I think the first and foremost impression I got from seeing Iwata become CEO is the fact that he was young, at least compared to Yamauchi. I thought to myself 'Here is someone who might actually be a lot more in touch with videogames'.

Sign in to follow this