NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Demuwan

The "Education/Career" Thread

I was wondering how a thread like this would fare on a games website! Lets be honest most of us come to "n-europe" to escape our schools/colleges/ and work. But I think a thread where you can talk about troubles and achievements would be beneficial to most of us, even if it is to have a rant. ;)

To start the thread off I will say, A-levels are a BITCH. Im really not enjoying this year at all. So much work and so much commitment is needed. I need to get mainly A grades in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English if I want to even consider doing Medicine and I have been flunking Maths so HARD. (got ABCD in my mocks) guess what the 'D' was in! Not too mention my maths teacher is a real c***. (explicitly said he hated me)

BTW anyone who has advice on how to get into Medicine and how to choose careers I'd much appreciate it.:cry:

I'm currently doing GSCEs and hopefully will do A levels and then some sort of business related degree.

I'm now two thirds of my way through my first year as a primary school teacher. Really enjoying it, and I've got a great Year 5 class (even though their inability to grasp fairly simple concepts gets on my nerves sometimes ;)). I started the year with 21 in my class, which is pretty tiny, and since then, three have left (through no fault of mine, I've been assured!), so now I'm down to a paltry 18, which means that next year, when my class will probably be twice as big, I'll be in for a bit of a shock! I'm confident that I've chosen the right career path, though, so I'm happy.

I have A-levels, but dunno what I fancy doing now. Don't think I'm the kind for University at this stage in my life, but might become a mature student one day, and it's impossible finding a job here in the countyside! Just turned down a job at the council on Monday tho, that I couldnt handle. Was in charge of oragnising events and doing press releases for the upcoming elections! Couldn't really deal with that responsibilty and don't have any expericne of working in admin either! All they asked in the interview was "Can you use Word?", and I get a high level job! WTF! Must of been some mistake lol

I have A-levels, but dunno what I fancy doing now. Don't think I'm the kind for University at this stage in my life, but might become a mature student one day, and it's impossible finding a job here in the countyside! Just turned down a job at the council on Monday tho, that I couldnt handle. Was in charge of oragnising events and doing press releases for the upcoming elections! Couldn't really deal with that responsibilty and don't have any expericne of working in admin either! All they asked in the interview was "Can you use Word?", and I get a high level job! WTF! Must of been some mistake lol

Would have been impressive on your UCAS form though. But fair enough if it was too much work.

I've very nearly finished my A levels- after finishing my chemistry coursework this weekend, I only have three modules left in the summer, one of which is critical thinking. I need As in biology, chemistry and maths (alrady got that last one) to go to Cambridge and do natural sciences.

Demu, I do teh medicines! Its great. What sorta info do you need? I'd be happy to try help.

Demu, I do teh medicines! Its great. What sorta info do you need? I'd be happy to try help.

Ahh Nice:)

Any thing that would benefit me really. Im going on a Medicine course tommorow (Medisix at Nottingham Uni) so I'll be away for 4 days.

If you don't mind asking;

What were your 4 Medicine Unis?

What did you get at Alevel and AS?

Did you do BMAT and UKCAT?

and any additional info would be great!

I was wondering how a thread like this would fare on a games website! Lets be honest most of us come to "n-europe" to escape our schools/colleges/ and work. But I think a thread where you can talk about troubles and achievements would be beneficial to most of us, even if it is to have a rant. ;)

To start the thread off I will say, A-levels are a BITCH. Im really not enjoying this year at all. So much work and so much commitment is needed. I need to get mainly A grades in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English if I want to even consider doing Medicine and I have been flunking Maths so HARD. (got ABCD in my mocks) guess what the 'D' was in! Not too mention my maths teacher is a real c***. (explicitly said he hated me)

BTW anyone who has advice on how to get into Medicine and how to choose careers I'd much appreciate it.:cry:

I'm doing the same subjects as you and also want to go into medicine....are you like my brother?

Ahh Nice:)

Any thing that would benefit me really. Im going on a Medicine course tommorow (Medisix at Nottingham Uni) so I'll be away for 4 days.

If you don't mind asking;

What were your 4 Medicine Unis?

What did you get at Alevel and AS?

Did you do BMAT and UKCAT?

and any additional info would be great!

Hehe, I didnt do any of that kinda' stuff but somehow still got in.. bit wierd. Anwyay!

1) Manchester, HYMS, Liverpool, Sheffield. Got rejected by all three except HYMS. HYMS is a great uni - I really would recommend lookign around on an Open Day. We're quite a strange med school when compared to the traditional ones (we do PBL, etc) but I think the new way that we're taught will help make great doctors.

2) Geog - A, Biology - A, Chemistry - A, General Studies - A, AS History - B. Geog is a pretty strange choice to do with medicine but as I said, HYMS don't look for the typical med student. But since you're taking maths you'll be fine..

3) Nah, I didn't need to but most schools now ask for it, so it's pretty sucky but you might need to do it.

Where were you thinking of applying? Also, I think my MSN address is on the side if you need to get in touch with me quickly! (EDIT: same with you Goron)

Hehe, I didnt do any of that kinda' stuff but somehow still got in.. bit wierd. Anwyay!

1) Manchester, HYMS, Liverpool, Sheffield. Got rejected by all three except HYMS. HYMS is a great uni - I really would recommend lookign around on an Open Day. We're quite a strange med school when compared to the traditional ones (we do PBL, etc) but I think the new way that we're taught will help make great doctors.

2) Geog - A, Biology - A, Chemistry - A, General Studies - A, AS History - B. Geog is a pretty strange choice to do with medicine but as I said, HYMS don't look for the typical med student. But since you're taking maths you'll be fine..

3) Nah, I didn't need to but most schools now ask for it, so it's pretty sucky but you might need to do it.

Where were you thinking of applying? Also, I think my MSN address is on the side if you need to get in touch with me quickly! (EDIT: same with you Goron)

BMAT and UKCAT is very neccessary now.:(

I would love to go to most Uni's tbh but my top 3 are.

Imperial College

UCL

Nottingham

I think I can get AABB at AS.

Goron nice to know: peace:

Hehe, going for the hardest to get into then?! I would advise maybe putting an "easy" option (the newer med schools) on there just incase. Just my two cents.

Hehe, going for the hardest to get into then?! I would advise maybe putting an "easy" option (the newer med schools) on there just incase. Just my two cents.

Oh defo. It wont stay like that, I'll have to choose between UCL and Nottingham. the 2nd two will be easier to get into because tbh there is no 'easy' option.

A Levels are a piece of cake :heh:. I guess a side effect of being as awesome as I am is that there are so many things I would like to go into that I really can't stick with one.

PS. Demu, Nottingham is almost impossible to get into for medicine.

Does anyone have a job they can give me? Anyone?

In a few months time ill have a 2:2 or 2:1 BA in Physics from Oxford, plenty of nice A-lvels and GCSE's. If you have any type of job at all please contact me. Please. I really don't want to have to go back to Scunthorpe.

Ooh, we have an Oxford man in the house. I feel...honoured :heh:. Which college dude?

Does anyone have a job they can give me? Anyone?

In a few months time ill have a 2:2 or 2:1 BA in Physics from Oxford, plenty of nice A-lvels and GCSE's. If you have any type of job at all please contact me. Please. I really don't want to have to go back to Scunthorpe.

You don't happen to know a Russian guy called Stanislav or a Peter Babs do you?

Anyway, I've only got a few months left of university, which is slightly depressing. I doubt I'm going to come out with anything good and I have little idea of what I'm going to do afterwoulds. I'll probably just stick around Birmingham for a year and see what I can get together, for now it's probably best to concentrate on the present rather then the future.

I'm in my last year of A Levels. Then I'm off to music college for two years. Once I've done that I will go to uni to carry on music performance.

From September, I'm going to attempt to do a film degree somewhere in London but will probably piss it away and collapse in a blaze of furious glory.

I'm in my first year of A Levels (AS). A Levels i'm doing are Philosophy & Ethics, Psychology, ICT and Law. I plan to drop Law for A2. I'm really confused about what I want to do at uni, but the things i've considered are Philosophy/Japanese/Cultural Studies

I'm living at home and going to uni, and starting to lose all passion for uni/academic work. I feel like I've been working since I was 4 years old, as I went straight from school to GCSES to A-Levels to Uni. I mean, it's a really awesome subject(BSc Psychology) but the work isn't really my kind, it's alot of written and theory, remembering names and dates, and awful stats. I'm more of a logic/numbers man, but after doing a-levels in physics and maths, I thought they were getting too tricky for me. As I said though, psychology is really awesome, very interesting, and I've found as I've gotten older I've got more passion for learning stuff, I learn about everything, spend hours on wikipedia reading about random stuff, but I'm not so much one for working. I'm just approaching the end of my second year now, and wish so much that it'd be over and done with. I'm sticking with it obviously, to not piss my parents off and because I'll have a degree in psychology at the end of it, and I think it's a pretty broad subject and so I could get alot of different jobs I reckon, easily change if I'm in something I don't like. I definitely don't plan on doing a masters or anything further academicwise after though, at least not in the next few years.

BMAT and UKCAT is very neccessary now.:(

I would love to go to most Uni's tbh but my top 3 are.

Imperial College

UCL

Nottingham

I think I can get AABB at AS.

Goron nice to know: peace:

I'm applying at Nottingham, Imperial, Manchester, then either Kings or UCL. Seriously, we're way too similar.

Have you started doing work experience?

I'm at the end of my Standard Grades (GCSE equivalent in Scotland). We do things a little differently. We do 8 Standard Grades in 4th Year (we start our counting again after Primary 7) but there is only one subject to cover all of English and stuff like that. Then in S5 we do Highers which are the University deciders. In S6 most people piss around and do nothing as you should have already gotten all your qualifications in 5th year. Though you can do Advance Highers which are similar to the first year of University.

So, I've almost finished my Standard Grade. I'm my prelims I got 7 1's and a 2, which was quite good. I'm hoping to get all 1's in my final exams though. Next year I'm taking English, Maths, Physics, Computing and Economics and am quite looking forward to it, even though it's meant to be the toughest year in your academic life.

I want to go on and do Maths at Uni, then see where that takes me. Quite like to work in a big firms finance department or in a bank. They sound fun.

I'm applying at Nottingham, Imperial, Manchester, then either Kings or UCL. Seriously, we're way too similar.

Have you started doing work experience?

I went to Imperial, Manchester and Nottingham universities. How odd. Let me know if I can help you at all!

Sign in to follow this