NEurope

Do they mention where (if) the microphone plugs in?

Well there is only gonna be two options imo :

1. Microphone into the Wii remote, or the Nunchunk into a Microphone.

2. A special headset.

Personally, I'd like a headset. Then you could do your dance moves with the Wii controls, and sing into the headset!

IGN has a video interview with Alfredo Chavez, the gameplay/art producer for Boogie. There are a couple interesting bits that pop up during the video. First off, Mr. Chavez confirms that the headset bundled with Boogie will be a USB headset, so dreams of a wireless headset stop right there (unless it’s a wireless USB adapter, thanks KingBroly!). During this same portion of the interview, Mr. Chavez makes a point to say that the Wii version comes bundled with the headset. That would lead you to believe that the game is in the works for other platforms. Whether that means PS3, 360, PC, or maybe even DS and PSP versions remains to be seen. I just want to make clear that this is not a confirmation of other versions in the works, but his wording definitely makes it seem that way.

A USB Wired headset would be horrid. Lets hope it's a wireless one with a USB Adaptor.

A USB Wired headset would be horrid. Lets hope it's a wireless one with a USB Adaptor.

I don't think I could agree more!

The Wii has bluetooth... All it needs is a bluetooth headset.

Game|Life Preview:

Hands-On: Boogie

Electronic Arts' all-singing, all-dancing rhythm game Boogie is playable at Nintendo's media event today. But what we saw might differ vastly from the final product, because EA says they're still making a lot of major changes to the gameplay.

Currently, the game's about shaking the Wiimote up, down, left, and right to the beat of a licensed song while a cartoon character gyrates on screen. If you shake the controller randomly, you'll earn a few hundred points for every shake. But if you move to the beat of the song (which resembles, in some way, dancing), you'll earn between ten and twenty times the points. So you'll want to actually dance well.

You might imagine that this will eventually become boring. You're right. This other guy and I were shaking our respective groove things to Daft Punk's "One More Time," but by about the four-minute mark, I don't know about him but my arm was certainly tired of shaking. But this is where all the rest of the gameplay will come in -- you'll take breaks from dancing to play mini-games. Once your power meter fills up you can activate it by pulling the B trigger, and then you'll have to hit a series of specific combos for more points.

Boogie also includes a microphone for karaoke. So if you want to sing "Brick House" or "You're The One That I Want" instead of just dancing to them, you're all set. And if one player wants to sing while the other dances, you're okay there too.

There's a lot of character customization options which become unlocked as you play. You'll be able to dress up your character in all sorts of costumes, but they'll also learn more combo moves which you can execute during the songs for more points.

Visually, Boogie is solid. Spectators will really get a kick out of watching the outlandish characters gyrate, and of course you'll be up there gyrating with them in front of the TV set, so that will only add to the enjoyment of those around you. Boogie will include a video mode where you can capture your on-screen character's dancing, then go in and change the camera angles and effects. You can't capture your own image, but you can record your own voice in the karaoke mode.

Electronic Arts has been rather bold about showing Boogie in various stages of incompleteness ever since it was announced at GDC. The concept is good -- they just need to figure out how to best structure the gameplay so it really feels like a game rather than an interactive musical playset.

Source: http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/05/handson_boogie.html

New images:

boogie-20070522024755646.jpg

boogie-20070522024756396.jpg

boogie-20070522024803677.jpg

boogie-20070522024804286.jpg

boogie-20070522024804864.jpg

Is it just me, or do the screenies showing what look like 'Bratz on XTC' look like a totally disjointed to the ones posted above ?

Brick house is a quality track, but Rob Zombies version would have kicked some proper arse imho (although the 3+ rating would have probably had to disappear)

Is it just me, or do the screenies showing what look like 'Bratz on XTC' look like a totally disjointed to the ones posted above ?
I'ts not just you, I've wondered the same when I first saw them.

I'ts not just you, I've wondered the same when I first saw them.

Thank god for that....It looks like they cant pin down a specific artistic style for the game, in fact the only thing that really relates the images are the 'motion tracers' coming from the limbs.

Weird, here' what I think. These screens have absolutely nothing to do with Bratz, you say that because the ones showing customized characters resembles Bratz. This on the other hand resembles Spongebob.

Intersting.

The way I'd define it just striked me (aswell as what do they have in common)...

Boogie Man? - Sponge Bob+Tim Burton influence?

Boogie Girl? - Bratz+Tim Burton influence?

Both characters, and even some scenarios give me some of the Tim Burton feeling, it's not clear cut though. I guess the "bratz girl" would feature bigger eyes (if it was by tim burton), and that last boggie scenario wouldn't be so colorful, still... the first images even featured some kind of tim burton creations+pikmin; boogie itself has some of that feel... and the "bratz"... looks more American styled rather than japanese... and the physiognomy of the body and face shape kinda fits the description (and maybe some face attributes)

Oh, I dunno.

Yeah there's totally a Burton feeling, but what I said was the latest screens, at least the ones you posted remind me nothing of bratz.

Yeah there's totally a Burton feeling, but what I said was the latest screens, at least the ones you posted remind me nothing of bratz.
Yeah, that was what 4q2 was saying, they almost look like two different games.

Hands-on Boogie

We take a look at the updated build of EA's dancing/karaoke/video editor mishmash.

May 22, 2007 - At Nintendo's summer software lineup preview in Seattle this week we took a look at an updated build of the Electronic Arts music game Boogie. To label it strictly a music game is, though, unfair to the project; its different gameplay modes and styles actually encapsulate everything from dance contests to full-blown singing competitions and even a comprehensive video editor. This latest preview of Boogie marks our third go-around with the game and while its unique and colorful graphics presentations have not changed much over the months, its basic controls have undergone revision after revision. The latest incarnation shows as much promise as ever, but at the same time there's little doubt that the developer needs to solidify a more rewarding dance system.

Before we get into any of that, let's talk about the basics. You begin Boogie by creating a character. You can choose from a selection of five different models, one of whom looks eerily like Patrik from SpongeBob SquarePants while another looks more like a standard female dancer. The majority of the base characters are over-the-top and extremely stylized. All of the dancers sport unique sets of dance animations that you'll eventually toggle through as you square off in contests, or just to showcase your moves. You can further customize your base character by applying different clothing, from shirts and pants to shoe types and accessories. You can even alter the color of your dancer's skin if you so desire, but since the majority of the models seem to be funky extraterrestrials, the palette consists of blues, greens and pinks rather than regular skin tones.

Once on the floor, you control your dancer's general movement with the nunchuk's analog stick. Left, right, up and down strafe the character left and right or into the foreground or background respectively. Meanwhile, flicks of the Wii remote in any direction cause your dancer to bust out a variety of different eye-popping maneuvers. Unlike Dance Dance Revolution, which utilizes on-screen visual cues to signal when you should make an input, Boogie only uses a single beat meter located to the right of the screen. The meter really resembles an audio equalizer and it peaks in the green, indicating when you should gesture with the Wii remote. You don't really need to follow the meter, though, which we find refreshing. You can simply waggle to the beat of the music and it works. It may, in fact, work too well. We couldn't not dance well, which is ironic when you consider that we've got about as much rhythm as a robot. The game's dance system is very forgiving, we found. Even if you're not perfectly in tune with the beat, you'll continue to earn points for your waggles and eventually a specials meter will fill up, at which point you can execute a spectacular dance maneuver. EA is still playing with the system and a representative on-hand told us that the latest build of the game -- unfortunately not on-hand at the event -- is dramatically enhanced.

There are some skill limitations, though. The more you rely on the same old dance moves, the less points you'll receive for them. You have to mix the performance up by tapping the A button to switch between different dance moves. This is the easiest way to fill up your specials meter. When the meter becomes filled, you hold down the B trigger and then make a series of motions, such as left, right, and up to trigger a more impressive dance animation, from flips to breakdance-style spins.

Boogie will come bundled with a microphone when it ships later this year. The microphone is USB-based and will plug into the back of the Wii console. The game is designed so that you'll be able to choose whether you want to play dance mode or karaoke mode. Or, if you call a friend over, one of you can handle all the dancing while the other belts out bad vocals.

On top of everything else, the game will feature a full-fledged video editor function. Here, you'll be able to record your karaoke audio, save your best dances, and then customize everything about the presentation, from the camera angles and cuts to the special effects, filters, and text overlays. When you've got everything nailed down, you can save your favorite videos to Wii's internal flash memory. Unfortunately, you won't be able to trade your videos with friends over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, apparently due to the large file sizes.

Boogie boasts 40 dance tracks including Don't Cha from the Pussy Cat Dolls, You're the One that I Want from Grease and Brickhouse from The Commodores.

Look out for much more on the game soon.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/790/790806p1.html

Bratz was the closest fitting description I could think of for the female character shots (maybe it is just the fact that they are everywhere I look....I cant even go to the supermarket without friggin bratz top trumps smacking me in the face at the side of the beer section...).

I hold no malice for either style used in the game though....looks quite good but doesnt quite gel.

You'd think EA would be able to afford the original songs, not some covers! Pretty good songlist tho for a party game.

You'd think EA would be able to afford the original songs, not some covers! Pretty good songlist tho for a party game.
Their target is a licenced soundtrack that people know and can sing along, singers crossed for downloadable songs though.

But as I see it... original ones simply won't happen.

I can't decide on this games. Sometimes they put aload of Bratz esque, this is a girls game, characters all around and make it looks like a steaming pile of ****. While other times it looks like a really unique, original concept trying to combine Dance Dance Revolution with Guitar Hero with the Wii Remote.

I'll probably pass on this, but if I'm having some mates over like a week after it's released then I'm sure it'll be great for the party, and I'll probably buy it. It's a good game for the Wii as it's getting an audience in who PS3 and 360 simply can't attract, shame though this market generally plays crap games :(.

Ingame!? Wow that is impressive:)
They're in-game bullshots though, supersampled and with lots of AA meaning no jaggies, but yeah, if you look at the bigger images you can see the polygons and such (in the small ones you can too but it's harder to spot them).

- Region specific tracks most likely

- Video Maker mode will allow for use of 3d glasses (those red/blue things), but it is not confirmed that they are included with the game

- 40 tracks (covers)

- Wii controls: shake the wiimote in 4 directions, A for changing move sets, B for combos, Z for character lipsync and joystick/Dpad for movement

- “Boogie meter” mimics SSX Blur meter

- Match your voice to the “original” voice. Pitch meter keeps track of your voice compared to original.

micro_EA.jpg

(Plugs into USB) - You sing OR dance. Not both at the same time.