NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
frankie_baby

ebay - ha ha

Why are people queuing up for a console hours before launch when they've already been guaranteed one?

Because they're unemployed and have spent all their grocery money on a PS3, thus requiring the free snacks to survive?

I'd guess it's because they sometimes get stuff gratis. Games, food, goody bags, that sort of thing. Oh, and they become blog stars due to interviews.

I feel a bit bad for Sony, I mean they deserve to have the same success as the Wii

Sony are hardly 'doomed' because their console isn't a sell-out on day one. They've managed to get a lot of stock on store shelves, and the price tag doesn't exactly make it an impulse buy. Bear in mind that in Australia the PS3 hits the psychological boundary of $1000. That's a big number.

I'm not saying this is a good launch, and it will hurt them in the press if nowhere else, but this is hardly an indication of how well the machine will do in the long run. Like many other gamers, I'm waiting for a price cut and some more alluring titles to come out, and these things will happen. To be honest I think people have everything to gain by waiting a few months.

Is the British media also pretending the launch is such a huge success?

Either the media are confused or the PS3 has made the best Dutch console launch ever.

No its becuase it is. Just cuase it hasnt done as well as the Wii doesnt means it isnt a sucsess.

No its becuase it is. Just cuase it hasnt done as well as the Wii doesnt means it isnt a sucsess.
How can anything so low-selling comparted to the Playstation and Playstation 2 mean a 'success' for Sony?

How can anything so low-selling comparted to the Playstation and Playstation 2 mean a 'success' for Sony?

We don't know how many have been sold.

In the UK you can can go in to most stores and buy one off the shelf, but that's partly due to plentiful supply — there's far more stock available then there was for the 360 launch, for instance. It's hardly the biggest first day of sales ever, but considering how much the thing costs, and the fact most of the available games can be bought on 360, it isn't very surprising that people aren't buying it in mindless droves.

It's simply out-priced a lot of its demographic. If it had launched nearer £300, like the PS2 before it, I think you'd see a lot more interest. Hell, I'd be playing one right now. But then again I think the machine is quite good value for money — bar the unexplained price difference between the US and Europe — so I don't really think it's overpriced as such, more too expensive to be a huge success.

Some people seem to have been under the assumption that all those PS2 owners would rush out and 'upgrade' to a PS3, but they were simply deluding themselves; I don't think it's the PlayStation brand that's particularly strong, it's just that people tend to buy what everybody else has.

We don't know how many have been sold.
We know how many have been sold in the US and Japan; those sales were less than stellar and definetely dissappointing for Sony.

The PlayStation brand made it because it was cheap gaming for everybody. Not some posh expensive multimedia system.

The PS2 did pretty poorly when it was first released here. People were claiming it was faulty, too expensive and there were no good games. It went on to be the best selling home system ever.

You can't judge wether a console is a failure or a success a few months after it's launch for Christ's sake, give it time.

If you read my posts well, you'll see that I'm commenting on the launch. The PS3's launch has been terrible for a Sony console, at least outside Europe.

I dont know why everyone is slating the PS3 as though its a competition between it and the Wii. It doesnt matter anyway, all that matters is if you buy one that you're happy with it,not how many other systems are sold.

I bet everyone here would secretly like a PS3, but laugh at its 'unsuccessful' launch.

I genuinly dont want one.

None of the launch titles appeal to me, and anything i really want will probally end up on 360 eventually anyway, I wont get one untill a price drop and some super hot exclusives.

Only PS3 game which interests me in anyway, is Gran Turismo 5. By the time that comes out, the console will be around £250, haha.

Sign in to follow this