NEurope
thirtynine.

Experts Expect Sony PS3 to outsell Wii

I wasnt really sure where to put this as its about lots of things so mods feel free to move it as appropriate if needed.

I was flicking throught the london paper on my way home from uni today and I saw and interesting article in the "buisness" section.

"Sony is expecting to sell 1.5 million of its consoles in Britan this year according to experts." "The console is expected to outsell its cheaper rival, Nintendo's Wii in 18 months"

Now i couldnt find the figures for the Wii sales in britan but these "experts" have clearly been taking drugs. IF sony even produce 1.5 million sales in the UK there is no way the wii will have sold less. Madness I tell you.

The preorders for PS3 haven't exactly been a hit. There will be no shortages, no selling out, no high demand.

The PS3 will still cost $600 in two years. The Wii will likely be $200 or $150 by then, and have its own Nintendogs/Brain Training games release by then. No way that it'll outsell it.

Every shop i've went to online and instore still have "pre-order now" signs and with the price and the Wii games arriving this year and with the Wii still selling out after 4 months I think the Wii will do better.

We're mere days away from PS3's March 23 launch in UK and, in contrast with Wii, most stores are telling us you can still pre-order a PS3 and have it guaranteed for launch-day collection.

In its respective pre-launch period, finding a Wii pre-order available for launch was impossible as hype for the console reached fever pitch. You had more chance of spotting the Loch Ness monster in your bath.

CVG spoke to ten different retailers up and down the country - five major chain stores and five independent shops - who told us that availability is thanks to Sony providing plenty of units for launch.

Sony confirmed one million PS3 consoles have been readied for the European launch, with around 300,000 of those allocated to UK. Neither Nintendo nor Microsoft announced their launch-day shipment figures for UK, but 105,000 Wii's were sold in the first weekend, which broke all previous records, says Nintendo.

Eight of of the ten retailers we spoke to were still taking PS3 pre-orders and could guarantee us a console for launch day.

Explaining the availability, one retailer stated that it wasn't a sign that the PS3 wasn't successful. "In fact it has been more successful than Wii," he added, controversially.

All six retailers put the ample supply down to the delay of the European release giving Sony more time to manufacture consoles.

The general consensus was that Nintendo had massively undersupplied Wii, with one shop comparing the two Wii's it was allocated for launch to the 25 PS3s it had for Friday.

Another independent retailer even said its PS3 stock was restricted only by how many they could afford to buy in, not by Sony.

None of the major chain stores would disclose figures, but HMV said they had received a "massive allocation from Sony".

While praising Sony for its supply of the PS3, all five independent retailers also highlighted the high price point as another contributing factor to the PS3's availablity.

"People are walking in, seeing how much it costs and saying 'I can't be bothered'," stated one retailer. "Most people just didn't realise it was going to be quite so much - they thought it was going to cost the same as the 360," he added. The Xbox 360 Premium Pack launched at £280 on December 2, 2005.

Another independent store had decided not to stock the PS3 at all. "Nobody wants one, they're way too dear," he claimed, adding: "I'll stock them when people get sick of them and come here to trade them in". A bit extreme, we think.

But the time of year was also noted as a factor, with four retailers saying that the pre-Christmas release of the Wii contributed to it's success, while March is not a time of year when people are typically known spend large sums of money. Two retailers expect a quite launch with a rush closer to the run-up to Christmas.

Funnily, they all thought it unlikely that you will be able to walk in and buy a PS3 on the launch day without a pre-order. Although we suspect that was a ploy to persuade us to pre-order with them immediately. Everyone's a salesmen thesedays it seems.

So while the price is an issue, all fingers (or most of them, at least) point towards Sony having a successful European launch with plenty of consoles on offer.

Virgin MegaStore on Oxford Street, London, will be hosting the official midnight launch event, with "entertainment and prizes" to spice up the night. CVG will be there to cover all the happenings, so make sure you tune in then.

I think it will, the PS3 is likely to have a much longer life span than what we have become used to, and as such will outsell this carnation of the wii.....

It the longterm, maybe; no one can predict what might happen in the next few years with any accuracy, be they high-paid analyst or fervent blogger.

So long as a machine's success is justified I don't really care.

You're new to this kid, so I'll explain this to you. Threads about experts and analysts are as pointless as themselves.

My god experts my ass. These people thought psp would outsell ds. Mark my words the cheapest console ALWAYS wins!

My god experts my ass. These people thought psp would outsell ds. Mark my words the cheapest console ALWAYS wins!

Yep, just like the Gamecu.... oh wait...

Not quite.

Isn't it "the weakest console" always wins? Not sure how that works, but hey! :D

The most popular console always wins.

captainobvious-30189.jpg

:heh:

Sorry, I've just always wanted to do that

If it does outsell wii i dont really care. I mean the main things is at least the pie will be alot more balanced this time around.

Gamecube had what? %15 - %20 of the market last gen? ill be happy with %30 for the Wii.

These are probably the same experts who said the PSP would outsell DS from the get go and we all know that did not happen. Don't bother reading what these experts will say. What will happen will happen.

Isn't it "the weakest console" always wins?

QFT

You certainly hit the nail on the head that time...:smile:

QFT

How does that explain the Nes (more powerful than Master System), Snes (far more powerful than Megadrive) DS...etc...?

How does that explain the Nes (more powerful than Master System), Snes (far more powerful than Megadrive) DS...etc...?

Well it definitely explains the DS....

How about "more recently the weakest console wins".

QFT

Sega Dreamcast?

what dreamcast?

Damn.:blank:

Experts also expected Nintendo to have lost it's momentum by now. They were the people that expected Wii to sell out one day and lie in stores to rot for four years. They were the same people that told Nintendo to go software-only. Experts talk a lot.

Though, in Sony's defense, they promised to deliver all pre-ordered units on day one no matter how many - they said they would hav enough, so they could just sell a million units on day one if I see how high some pre-order numbers are...

The least powerful console does not always win in the home console market

16 bit- Turbo Graphfx did not win

32 bit- Sega saturn did not win

128 bit- dreamcast did not win

Thats for home console market, the handheld market is a different story though with game boy beating out the lynx and the game gear. Game Boy Colour beating out the Neo Geo Pocket then the GBA beating the N-Gage. Of course recently the DS beating the PSP.

Well it definitely explains the DS....

How about "more recently the weakest console wins".

Oops...talk about a dumbass moment from me :heh:

No one I kno is intrested in the PS3 as they would have to spend half a grand to get one and a few games. I really do think people are not impressed that much with graphics these days, as they have seen it all before. Wii to have 40% of the market by 2008 I say!