NEurope

Possibly my favourite music piece without lyrics. Possibly.

That was scintilating.

To lower the tone, I'm apparently going to see Jason Derulo with my sister in the festival this year... *looks around, lips pursed*

steeltrain.jpg

Streaming now, available next week.

I loved it. Even from the first moments. Considering 'Trampoline' took me a while to get into this just had me going from start to finish. A great range/variety within there. Love the 'I Am The Walrus' reference.

And a breakdown/info/blog about Terrible Thrills Vol. 1, the all-female cover version of the album featuring, amongst others, Tegan & Sara, Alia Shawkat and Amanda Palmer.

1. "bullet" - scarlett johansson

- scarlett's voice is insane. her tom waits cover record is one of my favorite albums that i've heard in the past decade. not sure how anyone can cover tom waits, but she did it and still made it her own. amazing. its breathtaking. her voice is so incredibly dark and beautiful. couldn't be happier that she chose "bullet," which truly is a very dark song even though we made into something bigger and brighter.

2. "turnpike ghost" - tegan and sara

- we toured with tegan and sara for like three months this year. seriously, the greatest tour ever. they are two of my all time favorite singers . i love both of their voices for different reasons, and after touring with them, i love both of them for different reasons as well. hearing their version of "turnpike ghost" is nothing short of mind-blowing for me. this track was remixed by RAC and is in someway borderline dub-y. its fit for a saturday night dance party. could not be more excited for everyone to hear this one. its a serious party. an emotions party that is?!

3. "you and i undercover" - holly miranda

- holly was the other opener on the tegan and sara tour. she's a dear friend, and has the voice of a bird from heaven. i think thats the only way that i can describe it. it will haunt your dreams. her new record is fantastic and completely heart-wrenching. "you and i undercover" is an emotional song to begin with, but holly took it even further. i was in the UK when she first sent me her version of this. it was 5 in the morning and i was jet lagged as fuck. i listened to it in bed in a strange place far from home. it made me truly happy.

4. "you are dangerous" - deradoorian

- angel deradoorian actually played with steel train for a very short time in 2006. she currently has two amazing bands, the dirty projectors and deradoorian. angel is small and funny, and somehow has one of the biggest and most serious voices i've ever heard. not sure where it comes from, but its like a tornado coming out of a hobbit hole. make sense? anyway, she chose one of the most poppy and fast-paced songs on the album and turned it into a complete soul burner. it is brilliant and i cannot wait for everyone to hear this. its a total 180. she basically wrote a new song with my lyrics. she's genius.

5. "s.o.g. burning in hell" - alia shawkat

- most people don't know that alia has a crazy brilliant voice. she took this song, which is a completely unhinged loud moment on the album, and turned it into something that sounds like it came out of a speakeasy in the early 1900s. we worked on this one together. i was pushing her to make it a dance remix thing, and she kept insisting on a ragtime vibe. we recorded it at midnight, just a piano and vocal. i'm so thrilled with this one. its how she heard it, and it became something spectacular. she pushed to make it this way, and i am so thrilled that she did because it truly has a life of its own now. her voice will melt you.

6. "touch me bad" - nellie mckay

- nellie mckay is so incredibly inventive. i've been a massive fan of hers for years. she too chose to cover a crazy off-the-chain moment on the album. there are so few artists these days that really stand up and do something different. she is a beacon of hope for anyone trying to create music that goes beyond the radio. i am absolutely thrilled that she's a part of this record.

7. "behavior" - amanda palmer

- im a big dresden dolls fan, and an even bigger fan of amanda's solo music. she is one of those artists that make you proud to be making music in this generation. like its still possible for massive creativity to happen. rocky horror picture show is one of my favorite movies/soundtracks ever (hence 'terrible thrills') and she has this incredible richard o'brien touch that she puts on things. it worked perfectly on this track. she took that sound and turned into something that feels like a twisted dark sock hop happening in a cloud at night. get it? ha. this one is brilliant.

8. "children in the 90's (i'm not the same)" - greta salpeter

- greta! love greta. we toured with greta's old band, the hush sound, a few years ago. her voice is magic. its hard to imagine it comes from her because it sounds like its from another generation in another world. i could listen to her sing forever and hearing her tackle this borderline punk song is absolutely inspiring. she made it into something that could be the end credits to my favorite movie that i've never seen. its haunting as only greta could do.

9. "soldier in the army" - rachael cantu

- i met rachael in the studio. we were both a part of a group vocal thing for this band called kisschasey. turned out we knew a lot of the same people but had never met. rachael's new record hasn't left my cd player in a very long time. her songs are incredible. they aren't sad, but for some reason they make me sad in the best kind of way. like driving home late at night alone. if i had a crush on someone, i'd make a mix for them and a few of rachael's songs would undoubtably be on it, and

they would undoubtably make my crush love me. that's the best way i can describe rachael and her voice. what she did with this track is amazing. I'm thrilled for everyone to hear it.

10. "bloody lips" - charlotte caffey and astrid mcdonald

- this one is so cooooool. charlotte and her daughter astrid have such amazing voices. its so cool to have a mother and daughter on a track together. charlotte is a part of the amazing and classic band the go go's, and astrid's voice at her young age is already classic. justin remixed this one and it has an optimistic beastie boys vibe to it. you'll understand when you hear it. its good for the summer.

11. "the speedway motor racers club" - anna waronker

- anna is the lead singer of one of my favorite bands of all time....that dog! her record, retreat from the sun, is the greatest pop record to come out of the 90s. she also happens to be married to steve mcdonald (who produced our record) and was around a ton during the making of this album. it was a no-brainer to ask her to participate in this and i'm so excited that she is. her voice is beautiful and honest. its incredibly comforting to me for some reason. im sure you will all understand when you hear this song.

12. "fall asleep" - rachel antonoff

- rachel is my sister. duh. besides that, she is also my favorite singer of all time. she is the reason i play music, and even though we are related, its a giant honor to have her sing this song. its about our family, and in many ways it was written for her to sing. she sings the backup vocals on the album version of this track, and from the second we recorded those, i knew that she had to sing the whole thing herself one day. its a sad and important way to end both records. in many ways it's the song that ties things together, and only rachel could sing that. i am beyond excited for all of you to hear her sing this.

I'm actually really curious about the Alia Shawkat cover.

Although, the position of the head looks really awkward in comparison to the body / it looks photoshopped / that's probably the intent. And I still don't like the Klaxons insignia.

But yeah, I like when covers are actually interesting to look at / have joke ideas behind them.

Have One On Me still has my favourite cover so far of 2010. MGMT's album cover is the worst.

Given the content of the album, it's quite fitting.

Working for Chat for a week has turned you into a bitch.

I think you would like it.

my favorite singers in the world are all females. i wish i had a female voice. but i don't, so this project is a dream come true in that sense. often when i write, i imagine my songs being sung by females

And as I recall most of your favourite singers are female. Certainly an interesting idea. I wish they'd managed to do it for 'Trampoline' as they had wished. Would love to hear a cover of 'Kill Monsters In The Rain' and 'I Feel Weird'

Basically the guy from Steel Train is a massive queer?

:p

-------

My favourite guilty pleasure. Distinctly lacks that what makes the rest of the album great (the fact that they had a reason to sing, because of the whole anti-Bush/Iraq controversy), but I love it regardless.

Holding on to the memories

Of when we were younger

I can't forget

Cause when we were together

That's when I was at my best

I just love the concept of the phrase "That was my favourite year", when not talking specifically about a year.

321455__8kMh6r9LUz9R4q1eCNnRm3s7.jpg

"How dare you!"

I believe Jack is straight :heh:

Queer and Straight aren't mutually exclusive (ie. you can be heterosexual and queer).

Queerness just means that you don't prescribe to heteronormativity.

Edited by chairdriver

True, I wasn't aware you were using it in the queer studies term and presumed you were using it in the common colloquial (and often pejorative) manner.

Been on a bit of a hiphop kick recently, getting - in the words of Ghostface himself - deep like a navy seal into Wu Tang and all its offshoots as well as the Madvillainy album.

I loved. A spontaneous duet of Ode To Divorce by Regina Spektor commenced this morning. The least uplifting/likely one to ever duet on. But it was good.

^ Loving this song. Been listening to it quite a lot recently. I haven't listened to Z the whole way through yet, merely opting to pick a couple of songs at a time to listen to but that there is really good. Sound quality in the video isn't great but it's still a good listen. Well, I think so anyway. Would love it if they came over to the UK soon for a tour. I'd love to see them live as they sound just as good live as they do on their albums from the videos I've watched.

Yeah I enjoyed that whole album.

Listened to Sia's new one for a bit, not particularly moved, but will give it time.

I'm looking for a song, and I wonder if you could help me.

In Fast & Furious Dom goes into a garage and nearly drops an engine on a guys head. My question, what's the background music in the beginning of that scene? It sounds really chill!

^ Loving this song. Been listening to it quite a lot recently. I haven't listened to Z the whole way through yet, merely opting to pick a couple of songs at a time to listen to but that there is really good. Sound quality in the video isn't great but it's still a good listen. Well, I think so anyway. Would love it if they came over to the UK soon for a tour. I'd love to see them live as they sound just as good live as they do on their albums from the videos I've watched.

My favourite live band, if you've not seen it yet, look for their performance on Conan O'Brien of One Big Holiday, it's outstanding

they are touring the US this year, so hopefully they will be over here at some point in the Autumn/Winter, they were meant to be here last year but the lead singer fell off stage and injured himself :D

At the moment I'm currently into Two Door Cinema Club and The Drums. Give them both a try.

Youtubeness of examples

Two Door Cinema Club:

The Drums:

i guess this relates to music.

I will never look at Vanessa Hudgens the same again. I suppose though, after those naked pictures I shouldn't be surprised...

The result of people with bad music taste having too much time on their hands.