NEurope

I wish If It Makes You Happy had verses that were as amazing as the chorus. I love the song, but compared to the power of the chorus the verses just come across a little lackluster.

I've completely fallen for the second half of Scarlett's Walk after numerous listens. Absolutely adore it, can't believe I didn't bother listening to her properly until now.

Oh, and Love Song. I'd forgotten how horrendously catchy it was. It sounds completely out of place on her album.

Edited by Slaggis

Looking foward to their album, here's their first big single and video for it (not counting I Am Not A Robot and Mowgli's Road, which were to generate hype)

Not totally sold on it. Very pop, but I do like the bit about Shakira/Catherine-Zeta.

It's nothing on Mowgli's Road/IANAR.

I wish If It Makes You Happy had verses that were as amazing as the chorus. I love the song, but compared to the power of the chorus the verses just come across a little lackluster.

The verses are why I love that song!

"I come round, around the hard way

Bring you comics in bed, scrape the mold off the bread

And serve you french toast again"

Yeah, it's refreshingly un-power-ballady as a whole.

A Change Would Do You Good has catchy verses and chorus, and I always wondered why that wasn't the more famous song from that album.

so Them Crooked Vultures are pretty much amazing. It's very much a Homme album, rather than a zeppy or grunge feel you might expect from the other band members but that's hardly a problem. Some absolutely killer tracks on the whole- particularly the latter half of the album (on first listen)

Brilliant.

It was not what I was expecting (although I think really I wasn't expecting anything as I had never heard anything by them but still...it seemed different to what I imagined) but something I need to listen to a few more times. Would help if I had it on my iPodney.

But right now a classic;

jt.jpg

I feel like Justin Timberlake should be better than he is.

I do really like Cry Me A River and some random one from that above album I can't remember, but it seems a case of "Never fails to impress, but never impresses." - my favourite self-coined phrase.

Its not brilliant music, but a nice little album. Prefer it to his first (Justified?) plus the first five or so songs are great self-ego-boost songs. All about having confidence in yourself.

Just been listening to the songs of his I have, realised I don't have Cry Me A River (the one I genuinely really like), but it's 99p on iTunes instead of 79p, so I defy.

I quite like SexyBack.

I quite like SexyBack.

Whenever I hear the name of that song or it playing I instantly think of the Weebl and Bob parody "Pastry Back"... :D

Looking foward to their album, here's their first big single and video for it (not counting I Am Not A Robot and Mowgli's Road, which were to generate hype)

Not totally sold on it. Very pop, but I do like the bit about Shakira/Catherine-Zeta.

It's nothing on Mowgli's Road/IANAR.

I can imagine this doing a Katy Perry, and becoming really big.

Haha I loved that Pastry Back.

And speaking of Katie Perry. I had a dream last night where she had my kids and Russell Brand kept coming round. I think it was a bit jealous he was spending so much time with my kids.

...partially related to the thread :/

This seems a good place to ask this

What is that song where the lyrics are

"Its not your fault but mine

and it was your heart on line

i really fucked it up this time didnt i my dear"?

I've had in my head for ages and i cant think what it is

Google seems to suggest Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Recent Discoveries that have stuffed me with sawdust and diamonds;

sunny-cd.jpg

A Sunny Day In Glasgow - "Ashes Grammar"

JANET%20JACKSON%20-%20The%20velvet%20rope%20-%20Front.jpg

Janet Jackson - "The Velvet Rope"

e094224128a0a63044be6010.L.jpg

Sheila E. & The E-Train - "Writes of Passage"

They all pushed me under the quicksand, but thankfully I was saved.

0160071855085.jpg

Google seems to suggest Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man

That be the one shouldve of thought of google really

They all pushed me under the quicksand, but thankfully I was saved.

0160071855085.jpg

I grabbed my sisters hand and said "Yeeeeeeesssssss." when I saw this.

Show Your Bones is a good album, no doubt there... but it's clearly them trying to ride on the signature sound they created on Fever To Tell, minus the actual passion to pull it off completely. It is indeed filled with many a great tune, but it is my personal opinion that while on SYB they were trying to emulate Fever To Tell, on It's Blitz, they kind of grew into their new self, instead of clinging to what once made them good. Most of the album is quite easy to ignore, and while Dull Life may appeal more to you because it sounds like it could belong into any of the other two albums, it is my personal opinion that where It's Blitz truly shines is in only two tracks: Skeletons and Runaway. Skeletons I don't really need to explain why, and Runaway because it starts off pretty dull and evolves into what is, in my opinion, their magnum opus... the final minute or so, is a complete descent into post-rock territory, and if that's what they'll be aiming for in the future, I'm very glad, as they've created two very powerfull hybrids in those two songs. The true reason I preffer It's Blitz to Show Your Bones is that It's Blitz displays such a significant evolution in their musicianship, when SYB was pretty much a re-hashing of Fever To Tell.

Try and listen to Runaway a few times in a row and I think you'll see what I mean. It's not really that striking at first, but boy oh boy does it grow on you!!!

That being said, I can't really say that any of their albums is a bad recording, so we at least agree that they're not by any means terrible.

As I said above, try Runaway a few times and see if anything changes.

When I heard Show Your Bones for the first time, the first thing I thought was that the sound was pretty different to Fever To Tell. Imo, it isn't trying to emulate that sound again, but it's evolved from it. It sounds a lot more polished, like they've put a lot more thought into many areas and perhaps lost a bit of that spontaneity because of it.

In a way, Fever to tell felt like the innocent child, and Show Your Bones felt like the young adult. A bit wiser, a bit more mature, but perhaps a bit devoid of that innocence and rawness from the first.

With It's Blitz, it doesn't feel like a natural evolution to me. It feels like they've tried to redefine what they are, which isn't a bad thing. I think we disagree on that aspect, as you feel that it is an evolution, but I don't see that. Like I said, it could very much be a grower, but right now it feels a bit like they've tried a bit too hard to create an amazing record and have further lost that spontaneity they had at the start. It's very polished, very technical, which is a great thing. But, sometimes I think that can be a hindrance. Imo, it would probably work for many other bands, but I don't think it entirely works for this band.

You're right though, it is by no means a terrible record or a bad record. There are some bands that I hold in a completely different scale and light to others. YeahYeahYeahs are one of those bands. Kinda like how Zelda is held in such high regard, and that no matter what happens, the games are still usually pretty good anyway. This is still better than plenty of other stuff at the moment, but it just doesn't feel as memorable to me. Yet.

Well. Delphic. Fucking amazing? When did this happen?

Crappy quality live version

Or, for the non shit version, click

One of the songs of the year, surely.

Lightning Bolt Photo from t'other night. Im the ginge. Killer gig

11237_341520335690_669125690_10237824_4275044_n.jpg

Crooked Vultures, I surprisingly enjoy as well

My favourite song of 2009 and its a remix, your damn right it is.

spotify:track:5tQphcdsKTnGRGZOu6BRkb

King and Queens - 30 seconds to mars (innerpartysystem remix)

Sinead O'Connor's The Lion And The Cobra continues to strike me at my core.

lionuk.jpg

It's just... so. good. Great, in the "magnus"/Alexander The Great sense of the word. Every song has so much to tell. For a debut album, its extraordinary.

so Them Crooked Vultures are pretty much amazing. It's very much a Homme album, rather than a zeppy or grunge feel you might expect from the other band members but that's hardly a problem. Some absolutely killer tracks on the whole- particularly the latter half of the album (on first listen)

Brilliant.

yeh im lovin the vultures, im hoping to try and catch them live on monday at the birmingham academy but I dont have a ticket....thinking of buying of a tout as id love to catch these guys live.

Listening to Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear again. I've listened once through before and none of it stuck, but I keep hearing people screaming the album title as they die, so I assume it's decent.

Listening to Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear again. I've listened once through before and none of it stuck, but I keep hearing people screaming the album title as they die, so I assume it's decent.

When I bought the album, I assumed it would be more stunning, because of the album cover. It's good, but it still reeks of generic acoustic male-fronted band.

Bon Iver is far more essential.