NEurope

Two brilliant songs which I consider to be my administration of industrial strength bleach to the musical drainpipe that is this thread.

Converge is the kinda stuff that just annoys me, I can't find much to enjoy in music like that apart from "Oh, they're fast musicians and have a very loud singer". But that's just my own taste coming into it.

Funkadelic is stunning though, I listened to the whole of Maggot Brain yonks ago, forgot how lovely it was.

Two brilliant songs which I consider to be my administration of industrial strength bleach to the musical drainpipe that is this thread.

Like fighting fire with fire, or lame with lame.

Converge is the kinda stuff that just annoys me, I can't find much to enjoy in music like that apart from "Oh, they're fast musicians and have a very loud singer". But that's just my own taste coming into it.

Funkadelic is stunning though, I listened to the whole of Maggot Brain yonks ago, forgot how lovely it was.

Converge is just hardcore punk at its best, if thats not your thing, then thats fair, but theres nothing more exhillarating. You can listen to PJ Harvey and Iron and Wine all day long, but theres nothing like the virile sense of chaos you get with a bit of Converge or something similar. Hey, maybe testosterone just ain't yo thang. It certainly isn't happy music for happy people, but hey, we don't want to be stuck listening to Taylor Swift all day...

Like fighting fire with fire, or lame with lame.
I don't know if wit attrophies with age, of if you were born without any.

Converge is just hardcore punk at its best, if thats not your thing, then thats fair, but theres nothing more exhillarating. You can listen to PJ Harvey and Iron and Wine all day long, but theres nothing like the virile sense of chaos you get with a bit of Converge or something similar.

I've just always said that I'd rather go and see bands like that live than listen to them on CD. I assume it'd be a much more rewarding experience (at least for me).

I've just always said that I'd rather go and see bands like that live than listen to them on CD. I assume it'd be a much more rewarding experience (at least for me).

Yeah, definitely, same here. I don't want to say its not "intelligent" music just because its pretty coarse and brutal, but it definitely has its purpose. And they can be badass to listen to on record provided you have a decent speaker system.

I had a longing to hear some Bjork so I listened to Debut once more, plus after that I had time for one more song on the way home so I opted for the 'cheerful' Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole by Martha Wainwright. :D

I knew there was a reason I still keep up with this thread.

In This Light And On This Evening... another decent album by Editors, it will require a few more listens though to really 'get into' I think, would be helpful if they'd add the info for it already but Spotify will do for now. [/Rant]

So far the standout tracks for me are the title track, Papillon, The Boxer, Like Treasure and Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool it somehow seems slightly more repetitive in places than their earlier albums but it still works, overall I'm pleased with it but their first album still remains their best. :)

Bought the album 'Tender Buttons' by a band called Broadcast, whom I have recently discovered. I quite like them, although I haven't heard anything I really love by them yet. Here is quite a nice tune though:

Also, for anyone who is into electronic music, give this a listen:

I do love that track.

^ I meant to check that out, it's Bon Iver and some other guys, is it not?

It wasn't on Spotify last I checked.

---

I'm in love with the way the chorus of Men In This Town by Shakira is sung. It sounds half like she's singing through tears of bereavement after having her children shot down in front of her, half like she's taking a shit.

Edited by Paj!

Just got this through the post (the Deluxe Edition)...

rammstein_1252590928_crop_500x445.jpg

Fuck yes! :grin:

EDIT: Oops, meant to post this in the "Post your purchases" thread, and thought this didn't end up here. Oh well, as it's here, I might as well let you all know that this album is fucking amazing!! :grin:

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Also, for anyone who is into electronic music, give this a listen:

I do love that track.

That's from the movie Baraka, and it seems to just gleam parts from the movie. Well, well, well worth watching :P

Today I've been listening to the beautiful Ys by Joanna Newsom, the well-rounded Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette and the charming Fur and Gold by Bat For Lashes...

... none of which is actually helping me with reviewing because they are far too distracting :sad: oh well nvm, I'll deal with it. ;)

I'm in love with the way the chorus of Men In This Town by Shakira is sung. It sounds half like she's singing through tears of bereavement after having her children shot down in front of her, half like she's taking a shit.

I heard it in HMV yesterday, and I was like "WHERE ARE ALL THE MEN IN THIS TOWN?".

Today I've been listening to the beautiful Ys by Joanna Newsom, the well-rounded Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette and the charming Fur and Gold by Bat For Lashes...

... none of which is actually helping me with reviewing because they are far too distracting :sad: oh well nvm, I'll deal with it. ;)

3 greats. Despite what lies you are told, Fur and Gold is better than Two Suns. And Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is Alanis Morissette's best album. But people don't hear any growly hooks like on JLP so they don't realise.

Flavours Of Entanglement is technically really good too.

More straightfoward and not quite as successful as SFIJ, or even Under Rug Swept, though.

I have such love for Citizen Of The Planet though. Half because of the running joke about it me chair and my other friend had last year.

I fucking love arabesque music. Wish I wasn't too lazy to go find some vids, but basically Jah Wobble = wintastic. There's a lot of dub-meets-arabesque, too, which is like ear food.

Am I the only person that finds Shewolf (the song, not album) quite dull? Yes its been knocking around for a while but only recently heard it in full.

In other news, finally got around to listening to Hockey. Enjoyable, needs a few more listens to sink in.

3 greats. Despite what lies you are told, Fur and Gold is better than Two Suns. And Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is Alanis Morissette's best album. But people don't hear any growly hooks like on JLP so they don't realise.

I've always felt Fur and Gold to be superior, Ys becomes more beautiful with each listen and Jagged Little Pill I've always loved since when I was young - it would be played in the car often - recently got back into it though through the CD and DLC on Rock Band. :D

Plus I've now purchased her other albums, mostly for a few quid each, they should make for enjoyable listening indeed. :)

Am I the only person that finds Shewolf (the song, not album) quite dull? Yes its been knocking around for a while but only recently heard it in full.

In other news, finally got around to listening to Hockey. Enjoyable, needs a few more listens to sink in.

I thought it was dull, then loved it, now I'm on a middle-ground, of enjoying it. I have no idea how it seems to habe 27 plays on my iTunes. I don't remember playing it that much at all.

---

Today's been a good day of listening to albums I'd never heard before;

61huqosYVrL._SS500_.jpg

Nice to have on in the background, but nothing on For Emma, Forever Ago.

alpha.jpg

Absolutely brilliant! This could go in my top drawer.

00943234-photo-pochette-like-a-virgin.jpg

More enjoyable than I expected. I'm a fan of hers, but kinda hated the sound of her early stuff except the singles everyone knows. But this was fun, she had a really good voice back in the day.

sufjan_illinois.jpg

Only got half-way through but enjoyed it. Will finish at some point.

I really randomly first heard of Saint Etienne today! Coincidence! I've not listened yet though.

I went to the IMSoc (Indie Music Society), and became a member. Everyone there loves The Mountain Goats, who I had never heard of until now.