NEurope

I felt like listening to some Bjork today but alas I'd allready listened to her entire solo discography but as I was flicking through albums on my MP3 player I realised that I had Stick Around For Joy by The Sugarcubes - a successful band that Bjork was in before she went solo - and I fucking loved the whole album. :D

So many quality tracks with decent beats accompanied by some vibrant vocals from Bjork plus some rather random lyrics, it all seems to come together in an eclectic mix of excellence.

On the whole it's a very nicely produced album with a nice crisp and clean sound to it, I'll definitely be listening to their other albums at some point, not to mention Gling-Glo. :)

Not bothered to get Stick Around..., after not really enjoying Here Today, Tomorrow Next Week! Only given Stick Around a cursory listen years ago.

Their best is their first, Life's Too Good. So solid from start to finish.

One of my faves from Life's Too Good. :)

Oh wow, after listening to that I can't wait to hear Life's Too Good in full, I bought all of their albums because I managed to get most of them for literally a few pounds, score! Also Gling-Glo only cost me the equivelent of about £1 or something daft because I bought it as part of a job lot of rare-ish Bjork promo CD's one of which contains nothing but Army Of Me remixes and the rest were cover-mounted ones I think but from a good few years ago, seemed like a good buy to me anyway. :)

Ah... well I'm not too fussed considering how little I paid for it, basically less than a tenner for six CD's...

Maximum Bjork (with free mini-poster)

Gling-Glo

Army of Me (remixes/covers)

808 State - OOOPS (Featuring Bjork)

Bjork - cover mount from The Observer

Bjork - cover mount from The Times

Oh. Army of Me-xes is a charity album, for Unicef. A whole tonne of independant (mostly unknown) artists did their interpretation of Army Of Me, and put it on am album whose proceeds went to the charity.

In fact, the only one I've heard of is Patrick Wolf (love), but his is just a remix I think.

Hmm interesting :o I'll no doubt get around to giving it a listen eventually, certainly sounds promising. :)

The new Britney song is crap, but I love

" 1! 2! 3!

Peter, Paul and Mary

Gettin' down and freaky!"

Such a bizarre biblical reference.

The new Britney song is crap, but I love

" 1! 2! 3!

Peter, Paul and Mary

Gettin' down and freaky!"

Such a bizarre biblical reference.

I just adore the "If you don't like the company then lets just do it you and me....or three?....or four on the floor!" line.

Edited by Slaggis

So Gossip Girl used this in their new episode...

Should have just used the original. Far better. I appreciate they put their own slant on it, but shame the slant is rubbish.

Been listening to the new Paramore album today. My initial impressions when hearing it over at their site weren't great but it's definitely a grower. Once you understand how they've structured the album and get the two distinct halves of it, it becomes really enjoyable with a nice mix of styles in the songs. Personal highlights include Turn It Off, The Only Exception, Misguided Ghosts and All I Wanted. It's an album that'll undoubtedly divide Paramore fans because some will get it right away while others may take time to get the album but once you do get it, it's really good.

--------------------------------

Question though, and I hope it's alright to ask this here. I've a few albums I'm trying to rip through Windows Media Player yet it seems unable to ascertain the CDs info from the CD or the 'net. By info I mean like the artist's name, album name, titles for the songs. That kind of stuff. Is there anyway to get WMP to find this or can someone recommend a different program altogether to use that should be able to get the info for ripping. Yes, I can put the details in myself but when playing it, it'll still come up as Unknown Artist - Track 01 or whatever so would like it done properly.

Any love for Three Days Grace? Probably not, going by my previous track recommendations.

Heard a few of their songs whilst across the pond, they've got a decent gruff rock sound. This video is a little pants, but the song is awesome (in my opinion).

Question though, Windows Media Player CDs info...

Assuming you've allready tried labeling it through the function it has which lets you search for it in their database, then try using Media Monkey as I've sometimes had more success with that by still ripping with WMP but then using MM to get the info, hope this helps. :)

-----------------------------------

Today I listened to With Teeth by NIN because I really wanted to listen to it again really badly, 'tis an excellent album. :D

On a related note, if there are any NIN fans reading this then Hurt needs your help in the Music Wars thread! so cast your vote if you like.

Also The Beekeeper by Tori Amos well half of it anyway, all I had time for, but it's really excellent so far and I will listen to the other half tomorrow. :smile:

Edited by S.C.G

Also The Beekeeper by Tori Amos well half of it anyway, all I had time for, but it's really excellent so far and I will listen to the other half tomorrow. :smile:

Have you listened to To Venus and Back, Strange Little Girls and Scarlet's Walk? I though you were going chronologically.

The Beekeeper is fine, but really is were the internet term "Fori" originated, and when all the fans started burning their fan cards. Sacharine songs about her daughter being her "little pony" and a ditty called Hoochie Woman (which I love) caused many people to disown her.

It's just a bit adult contemporary, and not in a good way.

However, it has some brilliant songs, that I would place among her other stuff. Namely The Beekeeper (best on album), Barons Of Suburbia, Toast. Ireland is regarded as her worst song (it isn't, but the chorus is...strange. "Driving in my SAAB, on my way to Ireland! Sha-na-na!").

Basically it's her worst album, tying with American Doll Posse, which is a lot of fun, instead of just dragging.

The only "sweet/cute" song I really like on TBk is Power of Orange Knickers with Damien Rice.

But yeah. I loved it at first too. I'm more bitter now, but I like it a lot more than most of her fans. : peace: [/rant]

Another of today's listenings:

Heard a few songs from Nada Surf now and sort of getting into them. That song there is really good, in my eyes at least.

And thanks SCG, I'll give that a try.

Have you listened to To Venus and Back, Strange Little Girls and Scarlet's Walk? I though you were going chronologically.

The Beekeeper is fine, but really is were the internet term "Fori" originated, and when all the fans started burning their fan cards. Sacharine songs about her daughter being her "little pony" and a ditty called Hoochie Woman (which I love) caused many people to disown her.

The only "sweet/cute" song I really like on TBk is Power of Orange Knickers with Damien Rice.

Chronologically... no, sort-of as it happens but more, I pick whichever I feel I'm in the mood for? but with a vague sense of which order they go in, I'll be listening to Abnormally Attracted To Sin last obv though ;) about the fans burning their cards and disowning her... sounds a little OTT to me as it's still a good album, granted nowhere near Little Earthquakes standard which I absolutely fucking love along with Under The Pink but I mean it has its merits, The Power Of Orange Knickers being one of them.

As an artist though, so far I really like her... a lot, she has a lot of decent songs/albums and her main talents - vocal and piano - are exceptional, I'd like to see her live one day so let me know if yourself and Chair ever plan to see her again because I'd most likely join you if it's feasible etc :) she seems to put on a rather good performance judging from videos/your opinion of the gig you attended. :D

Chronologically... no, sort-of as it happens but more, I pick whichever I feel I'm in the mood for? but with a vague sense of which order they go in, I'll be listening to Abnormally Attracted To Sin last obv though ;) about the fans burning their cards and disowning her... sounds a little OTT to me as it's still a good album, granted nowhere near Little Earthquakes standard which I absolutely fucking love along with Under The Pink but I mean it has its merits, The Power Of Orange Knickers being one of them.

As an artist though, so far I really like her... a lot, she has a lot of decent songs/albums and her main talents - vocal and piano - are exceptional, I'd like to see her live one day so let me know if yourself and Chair ever plan to see her again because I'd most likely join you if it's feasible etc :) she seems to put on a rather good performance judging from videos/your opinion of the gig you attended. :D

Oh the fancard thing is more a running joke, but people are in agreement that she's not what she used to be (why should she? She's basically 20 years older and more at peace etc.). Scarlet's Walk is her best album this decade, it's a masterpiece of songwriting. Not in the same way as Boys for Pele, it's a chronicle of a trip across America, and is just beautiful. You should try that next! :)

Live, she's a lot more sedate, and she (for whatever reason) sings a bit differently than she used to. She uses her nose a lot more (lol). I mean, singing nasally. In some cases, I actually really don't like her live voice! I know that it must mean that her voice isn' as strong as it once was, and nasal singing preserves your voice, so it makes sense, but it sometimes spoils the songs, when she replaces "a" with "e". I know this won't mean much to you right now, but it's annoying.

HOWEVER

Seeing her in the flesh live was great. She's a powerful and awesome prescence on stage, and especially when she occasionally goes apeshit (Like she did during Strong Black Vine at the end of our main set, screaming things like "PUSH! SHE PUSHED LIKE A MOTHER..FUCKA!" or something like that :p continually, brilliantly). Also, when she does the solo bits on stage (she's otherwise with the band), it's beautiful.

But yeah, she's one of my fave artists, but isn't what she once was. She's gone a bit...off. People know find her contradictory; she was always for women being themselves blah blah, but know is obsessed with designer fashion and wigs and sexuality etc. Her recent choices artistically are dubious too. Look up the cover to upcoming "Christmas" album, Midwinter Graces. There's a badly photoshopped her rising into heaven, with horrible font, and what looks like a gay club-bound angel in skinny jeans pointing at her shoes. It's bizarre. But bad-bizarre. [/rant]

BUT yeah. Live, great, and I enjoy her new stuff for what it is. But it fizzles out after a few months. Not like her old stuff.

She tours all the time, so if she's near, come and see her with me! : peace:

Yeah, she was absolutely amazing.

Taxi Ride / Pretty Good Year / Cornflake Girl / Give / Precious Things <3 <3

Yeah that hot chip cover is ass balls. Eww.

Indeeeeeeeed.

Anyone know the name of the remix for In For The Kill (or whatever the song is called) BBC One uses for one of their indents with Zane Lowe jumping on a button?

And speaking of, read in the Metro today that Tynchy Strider (or whatever his name is) retorted to La Roux's recent attack on him on twitter, and some other rapper replied with "la roux needs to learn how to comment without shitting on someone else" which I laughed at as she does tend to. Such as her "its a shame Little Boots isn't as successful as me" line. She may have intended as being nice but it came off so arrogant.

Is Celebrity Deathmatch still going? Tynchy vs La Roux would be amusing.

Indeeeeeeeed.

Anyone know the name of the remix for In For The Kill (or whatever the song is called) BBC One uses for one of their indents with Zane Lowe jumping on a button?

And speaking of, read in the Metro today that Tynchy Strider (or whatever his name is) retorted to La Roux's recent attack on him on twitter, and some other rapper replied with "la roux needs to learn how to comment without shitting on someone else" which I laughed at as she does tend to. Such as her "its a shame Little Boots isn't as successful as me" line. She may have intended as being nice but it came off so arrogant.

On a slightly similar topic, I love how in an interview I read with her, she addressed the fact everyone assumed she was a massive lezzer. She confirms she isn't (she definitely looked less butch in the old days).

I have never seen that advert as I rarely watch TV, but I might suggest Skream's remix. It's fairly popular (and good).

Ramar; i liked that :P I really, really need to just get back into the emogrungecorewhatever stuff again. Really do love it.