NEurope

I'm still reeling from the quality of Love.Angel.Music.Baby by Gwen Stefani, 5 years (!) after it's release.

So few pure pop albums are as satisfying, witty, well-written, sexy, funny and entertaining.

The follow-up album was a major dip in quality, but has it's merits too. But it's a lot more tryhard.

My order for the Radiohead albums:

Kid A = In Rainbows > Amnesiac > OK Computer > The Bends > Hail To The Thief >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pablo Honey

:)

I'm still reeling from the quality of Love.Angel.Music.Baby by Gwen Stefani, 5 years (!) after it's release.

So few pure pop albums are as satisfying, witty, well-written, sexy, funny and entertaining.

The follow-up album was a major dip in quality, but has it's merits too. But it's a lot more tryhard.

What You Waiting For is one of my favourite songs ever. Freaking incredible track, and I love the lyrics to bits. The "I'm like a cat in heat stuck in a moving car, a scary conversation shit my eyes can't find the brake" are some of my favourite lyrics. Hollaback Girl, Cool, Crash, Bubble Pop Electric are so much fun too.

Edited by Slaggis

Danger Zone and Serious made the album for me.

(And What You Waiting For - but it IS the obvious one)

All this Pablo Honey hating is making me unhappy.

It's gooooood. Although not as good as their early demos! Happy Song is their best song ever!

Job for a Cowboy make my puny brain explode. It's as if pure wanton aggression was actually a complicated emotion! Perfect for having somewhat intelligent musings with otherwise braindead metalheads. =p.

Hmm, what else have I been listening to...

Well it depends, lately I've not really been in much of a music kick, by which I mean I'm not really trying out new stuff, so whenever I'm in the need of a mood, i'll stick on Tha Carter III, or Crack The Skye.

Also been catching up on Sarah Slean. She pretty good. Yes. Canadian singer/ songwriter, which is perhaps the most depressingly contrived of musical institutions these days, but you know, she does it all right. Bless.

I don't know what it is, but I feel the ol Bard rage coming up for a bit of a music thread binge lately. Maybe a good lambasting is necessary. Of course, nothing short of pure carnage like rinisng the old putrid smell of bullshit from this rotting carcass of a thread with my verbal ammonia will be satisfactory. So I shall have to brood, and get back to you all, on why you are all so very boring. With the exception of a few. You know who you are.

Also been catching up on Sarah Slean. She pretty good. Yes. Canadian singer/ songwriter, which is perhaps the most depressingly contrived of musical institutions these days, but you know, she does it all right. Bless.

I like Sarah Slean, judging from the 7 or 8 songs of hers which I have heard, from a variety of her albums.

I'm overwhelmingly struck by the fact that a couple of her songs sound EXACTLY like Tori Amos songs (when Me and Jerome comes on shuffle, I always assume its a song from To Venus And Back or Under The Pink), but not as good, because she lacks the unpinpointable X-Factor that Tori has.

Talking of Tori Amos, I've fallen in love with the bit at the end of Little Earthquakes, where she's singing above the choir. When her voice splits into two. Yes.

"GIVE ME LIFE. GIVE-A ME PAIN. GIVE ME MYSELF AGAIN."

I hate the rest of the song though.

Talking of Tori Amos, I've fallen in love with the bit at the end of Little Earthquakes, where she's singing above the choir. When her voice splits into two. Yes.

"GIVE ME LIFE. GIVE-A ME PAIN. GIVE ME MYSELF AGAIN."

I hate the rest of the song though.

It's good, but really badly mixed. Listen to the remaster on A Piano on Spotify. The lyrics are good.

They were so good live.

And I arrived an hour early, so got to chat with them before the gig. The one with longer hair (Busy?) is a proper alcoholic - she had about 7 vodka cranberries in about 40 minutes.

I love how they could be described as Tegan and Sara's anti-person counterparts from the Negative Dimension.

LMFAO!

NME Review: Album review: Frankmusik - 'Complete Me'

From its opening few bars, Frankmusik's debut is annoying. Like, 'how can I turn this off, smash the stereo and contact a hitman simultaneously?' annoying. It's just nothing. Complete plastic nothingness from the outset. Polystyrene electro for clueless corporates. It's actually less than that, it's a black hole sucking all of pop's best inventions into a dark void.

Like a fat American tourist, he lumbers round pop's pyramids, touching what he shouldn't touch and furtively tucking pieces of history into a lamé bumbag - Frankmusik sullies 8-bit chiptune ('In Step'), power drums ('Complete Me'), The Stranglers' 'Golden Brown' ('When You're Around'), synths, sentiment and even a sample from 'Pump Up The Volume'. It's variously like mouldy Peaches, Hadouken! cast to Hades and New Romantic turned divorcée.

The third track goes "boyfriend, boy b-boyfriend, ba-ba-ba-ba-boyfriend" and makes you want to travel back in time to slay whoever invented the gramophone to protect future generations - within the first 15 seconds. No mean feat.

Among a litany of abortions, it's the earnest croon that galls the most, the soulless appropriation of Midge Ure, the way he mugs us with unnecessary leaps into falsetto when we're finally relaxing into a song. 'In Step' manages to intertwine at least three separate but equally, itchily irritating vocal styles - sometimes simultaneously.

So now for the plus points. Witness 'Confusion Girl''s "all the tears you made my cry, so now it's time to say goodbye, and leaving you behind is my first step". Despite being a masterclass in tired sentiment, it's one of the more listenable moments. 'Three Little Words', too, begins OK-ish, before descending into a neurotic blast of ideas with all the subtlety of something off those 'Bonkers' hardcore compilations. Was Grammy-winning Killers/Madonna producer/remixer Stuart Price phoning this one in?

Frankmusik is a guy that will do anything for attention - including recording with Tinchy Stryder and live-tweeting the experience, and of course, that lame stunt that saw him dumped somewhere with only a BlackBerry and 20 quid to get him back to civilisation. If only he'd stayed lost.

Three little words? Fuck off now.

1/10

A bit harsh but it is a pretty crap album and he is to no ends annoying.

It's a weird album. It's like an electro mish mash filtered though a boyband production. It's totally throwaway, but not that offensive.

I'm not at all interested in him. I have 3 Little Words, but it leaves me dry.

I sort of hoped he'd be good, as there's no mainstream-y male synthypoppy people around atm, in comparison to the deluge of females.

Today's audible delight for me was 'To Bring You My Love' by 'P J Harvey' again I just went to listening with an open mind - but knowing partly what to expect now - and I liked what I heard a lot.

Next up... 'Dance Hall at Louse Point' which I'll save for Monday. :)

After getting hold of 'Crossing the Rubicon' by the Sounds yesterday (after looking for it for age) I've been giving it a good listen to. I've heard all the tracks anyway but it's just so nice to finally have a physical copy I can listen to whenever I want. And it's a great album. 1 or 2 odd choices for songs (Beatbox seems a rather strange inclusion given the progression from starter No One Sleeps When I'm Awake to finisher Home Is Where Your Heart Is) but all of their albums are like that. It's definitely on par with, if not slightly better than, Dying To Say This To You.

Also been giving CSS' album a listen to. I wasn't really a fan of their stuff but thought I might as well buy the album as it was only a fiver and plus my musical tastes have broadened. And while I haven't listened to much of it, I'm liking it. I'm looking at my CD collection and it's definitely different from my usual stuff, but a good kind of different.

Ok so after listening to the full album 'Lungs' by 'Florence + the Machine' my opinion has changed and I now love eet :) it's an excellent album and will no doubt be one that I play a good few times before the initial charm wears off a bit.

What I have Been Listening to this week: (in one sentance reviews)

Florence and the Machines - Lungs

Brillant, I've grown in love with this album. :bouncy:

Oasis - Definately, Maybe.

First time I've ever listened to Oasis, I liked.

Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires

Not what usually what I'd listen to but much more FUN than I thought it would be. :) I think I was getting it confused with something else.

Antony and the Johnsons - The Crying Light

Gah this is annoying me I keep listening to it but I can never remember it afterwards, I know I enjoyed it though.

F**ked Up - The Chemistry Of Life

Such a great opening song. It lulled me into a false sense of secruity then BAM! there it is.

Beck - Morden Guilt

Solid, good listen. No Complaints here.

Ashlee Simpson - Autobiography

It's okay! nothing great but nothing offensive.

Ashley Simpson - I Am Me

I'm surprised how much I enjoyed listening to this album, nice.

iwrestledabearonce - It's All Happening

Awesome. It got me PUMPEDPUMPEDPUMPED but also has some mellow bits thrown in as well.

Foals - Antidotes

Good! I wish the songs were more memorable though!

Miley Cyrus - Breakout

Of course I love this as I'm too far into infactuation to say otherwise but get rid of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (though done well) and you've got yourself an album.

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence Patience and Grace

I forgot I have this on CD as well. The whole album works for me. I think it's balanced well. Need to listen to more Foo Fighters stuff.

Estelle - Shine

It's alright. It's not going to set my world on fire but there are some good songs mixed in there.

Forever The Sickest Kids - Underdog Alma Mater

I'm growing a soft side for rubbish Pop Punk. This is one of the bands and it was fairly nice to have a listen to when I'm in the mood. Lacks any substance though.

Fall Out Boy - Folie a Deux

I like the cover it has a Bear on it. The album sort of just blurs together but I do like I Don't Care.

Britney Spears - Blackout

Perfect. :p I much prefer it over Circus.

Blink 182 - Enema Of The State

Wow! I knew more songs off it than I realised. Good for a bus journey. :D

Eagles Of Death Metal - Heart On

Completely different to how I invisioned they would sound. A tad disappointed to be honest after I got over how they sounded they were okay!

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Magical.

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Magical. I prefered it to funeral. :heart:

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Wincakes.

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City

Even more Wincakes.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

then back to Wincakes again. :grin:

V V Brown - Travelling Light

just finished my first listen, me likey! :awesome:

____

Woah I listened to more than I thought! That's not including what I already posted of House Of Heroes, Bibio, Oh No Ono's, Amy Winehouse, Against me! and Adele. which I also listened to this week!

I'm trying to make my way through as many albums as I can! :yay:

Edited by Coolness Bears

Florence and the Machines - Lungs

Brillant, I've grown in love with this album. :bouncy:

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence Patience and Grace

I forgot I have this on CD as well. The whole album works for me. I think it's balanced well. Need to listen to more Foo Fighters stuff.

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Wincakes.

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City

Even more Wincakes.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

then back to Wincakes again. :grin:

I'm currently in love with Florence + teh Machine as well :) hmm as for Foo Fighters if you really want to listen to more then I would recommend The Colour and the Shape as put simply, it's their best album, very well balanced and a joy to listen to, especially if you're new to it, the rest of their albums have mostly songs that are good in amongst filler but on the whole they are still good at what they do. :D

Bloc Party! I've been listening to them a bit recently too, all three of their albums are great and each has its own different vibe to it while retaining familiar undertones throughout, they are always worth a listen now and then anyway. ^^

Personally I would rate Bloc Party albums in the following order; Silent Alarm, Intimacy, A Weekend in the City.

Half of Weekend never really grab me, and still hasn't after all these years.

Personally I would rate Bloc Party albums in the following order; Silent Alarm, Intimacy, A Weekend in the City.

Half of Weekend never really grab me, and still hasn't after all these years.

Pretty much agree there, though I'd only listened to A Weekend in the City until a few days ago, then suddently I decided to listen to their other two albums to see what I was missing out on by not listening sooner...

So I guess because I've listened to AWITC a lot more, I've grown to like it a fair bit, granted it has its weak tracks but it's still an enjoyable album. :)

I'm currently in love with Florence + teh Machine as well :) hmm as for Foo Fighters if you really want to listen to more then I would recommend The Colour and the Shape as put simply, it's their best album, very well balanced and a joy to listen to, especially if you're new to it, the rest of their albums have mostly songs that are good in amongst filler but on the whole they are still good at what they do. :D

Thanks S.C.G. :grin: I've added that album to my spotify list! :) (Foo Fighters) I forgot I liked them it was amoungst a random bunch of albums I asked for christmas in 2007 which included Plain White T's and Kate Nash!

Oh Coolness... Ashlee Simpson.... Really? I'm disgusted that you'd listen to that. :nono:

Yep! :D I'll listen to anything once. I can't say I don't like it if I've never listened to it.

Thanks S.C.G. :grin: I've added that album to my spotify list! :) (Foo Fighters) I forgot I liked them

Hey, you're welcome Coolness, I really hope you enjoy it. :)

Yep! :D I'll listen to anything once. I can't say I don't like it if I've never listened to it.

This... very true, with the wealth of music that's available thanks to Spotify, there really isn't any excuse for people claiming that 'this song is good or bad' without listening to it, they are just a few clicks away, so listening before labeling is the best policy. :)

Oh Coolness... Ashlee Simpson.... Really? I'm disgusted that you'd listen to that. :nono:

I love "Boyfriend" to death. I just wish her third album had done well, like her previous two. "Outta My Head" was such a great, quirky track, and the rest of the album was suprisingly good compared to her other albums which were filled with filler. Had a hint of Gwen Stefani about it, albeit obviously nowhere near the quality of her stuff,. Oh and "Pieces Of Me" is brilliant too.

Damn it. I've got boyfriend on loop again.

Edited by Slaggis

Lungs by Florence + The Machine is so good. I'm so surprised.

Rabbit Heart is proper brilliant.