NEurope

MTV2 used to play the 'best' in Nu-Metal 'bout 7 years back. Stuff like Calvin Harris and La Shite (lol, arent i funniez) was stuff you never DREEMED of seeing on MTV2. You'd have stuff like Machine Head, Ill Nino, Sepultura, Mudvayne, Rammstein and Mushroomhead back then! They'd be wot woz dere. Making MTV2 the prime choice for the heavy stuff. La Wank (2nd round of funniez) would remain on MTV Hits where it belongs.

Oh, and to prove another point. A show called 120 Minutes! That's gone now. That's all the proof I need that MTV2 no longer really caters for Alternative.

Why do shows/channels usually change? Ratings.

I can't imagine your average metaller watching any music channel really. Metal-orientated networks have come and gone, I genuinely don't think there is a justifably large market out there.

Isn't there like MTV: Rock anyway? Not to mention the bazillion other rock based channels.

No.

Whaddya mean bazillion? there's only two of the bastards: Kerrang! TV and Scuzz. NMETV is exactly the same as MTV2, cometathinkovit.

I can't imagine your average metaller watching any music channel really. Metal-orientated networks have come and gone, I genuinely don't think there is a justifably large market out there.

Scuzz has been going strong for over six years now. That's also changed a fair bit but it's still got the heavy stuff going on. It isn't the same now as it was in the beginning (It plays a bit more emo now), but it's still the one for metalheads to look at.

I'm so surprised at how good Florence & The Machine is.

I was expecting your average alterna-pop stuff, but its strikingly muddy (like you can't hear her voice behind all the atmosphere) and generally charming.

To be fair, that Kerrang list might be quite accurate if you're the sort of person interested in reading Kerrang. You might as well deride Cheese.com's list of the 50 Best Cheeses of the 21st Century for having too much cheese in it; it's a publication writing for its audience.

Not being a part of Kerrang's readership, I've recently been listening to a lot of Psapp. You can't go wrong with cat obsessed, percussive toy electronica.

I was positively surprised at this! Lovely music. :)

A new band has formed, called Them Crooked Vultures: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/08/06/them-crooked-vultures-announce-debut-never-deserved-the-future/

However, here's the interesting thing:

It’s looking like Them Crooked Vultures — a supergroup of Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones — will release their debut album, possibly titled Never Deserved the Future, on October 23rd.

Oh. Fuck. Yes!! :grin:

That's awesome news! is this band gonna be a side project then? or have the respective members disbanded from their existing bands? either way, sounds promising.

That's awesome news! is this band gonna be a side project then? or have the respective members disbanded from their existing bands? either way, sounds promising.

I think it's just a side-project. I don't see Foo Fighters splitting up, as they debuted a new song called 'Wheels' at a recent live gig, suggesting that a new album is on the way. I'm sure QOTSA will keep going for a while too.

Either way, I can't wait to hear this new band! ^^

I think it's just a side-project. I don't see Foo Fighters splitting up, as they debuted a new song called 'Wheels' at a recent live gig, suggesting that a new album is on the way. I'm sure QOTSA will keep going for a while too.

Either way, I can't wait to hear this new band! ^^

Mhmm... true, just that either way it seems like a good idea because the Foo's last album was unremarkable apart from a few tracks so any time that Dave Grohl decides to spend on a side project is good tbh, hopefully the setup will be him on the drums, Josh on the vocals and John Paul on the bass... (obviously)

So yeah could turn out to be pretty good... I would also like to see another FF album in the future but I'll hapilly wait because I reckon they need a lot more time before releasing another, would love it if their next album was more like The Colour and the Shape but those days are long past them now :/ just like I want Muse' next album to be more like Origin of Symmetry... just purely wishful thinking. :heh:

What are people thoughts on Brutal Legend OST?

Is it a better soundtrack than Guitar Heroes and Rock Band?

• 3 Inches of Blood - Deadly Sinners
  • 3 Inches of Blood - Destroy The Orcs
  • Accept - Fast As A Shark
  • Angel Witch - Angel Witch
  • Anthrax - Metal Thrashing Mad
  • Anvil - March of the Crabs
  • Anvil - Tag Team
  • Apostasy - Sulphur Injection
  • Bishop of Hexen - A Serpentine Grave
  • Bishop of Hexen - The Somber Grounds of Truth
  • Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave
  • Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
  • Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
  • Brocas Helm - Cry of the Banshee
  • Brocas Helm - Drink the Blood of the Priest
  • Budgie - Breadfan
  • Budgie - Zoom Club
  • Candlemass - Witches
  • Carcass - No Love Lost
  • Cloven Hoof Nightstalker
  • Children of Bodom - Angels Don't Kill
  • Coroner - Skeleton on your Shoulder
  • Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the Fog
  • Crimson Glory - Queen of the Masquerade
  • Dark Fortress - Insomnia
  • Dark Tranquility - Cathode Ray Sunshine
  • Deathstars - Blitzkrieg
  • Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
  • Dethklok - Mermaider
  • Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
  • Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
  • Dokken - Mr. Scary
  • Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames
  • Emperor - Thus Spake The Nightspirit
  • Enslaved - Frost
  • Enslaved - Loke
  • Firehouse - Overnight Sensation
  • Girlschool - Bomber
  • Iced Earth - When the Night Falls
  • Iced Earth - Pure Evil
  • In Flames - Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
  • Judas Priest - Battle Hymn
  • Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye
  • Judas Priest - Leather Rebel
  • Judas Priest - One Shot At Glory
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller
  • Kabbage Boy - Girlfriend
  • KMFDM - Free Your Hate
  • KMFDM - Rip The System
  • King Diamond - Cremation
  • King Diamond - Welcome Home
  • Kiss - God of Thunder
  • Lita Ford - Betrayal
  • Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People
  • Manowar - Die For Metal
  • Manowar - The Dawn Of Battle
  • Mastodon - Crack the Skye
  • Mastodon - Oblivion Instrumental
  • Megadeath - High Speed Dirt
  • Megadeath - Tornado of Souls
  • Metal Church - Metal Church
  • Michael Schenker - Group Assault Attack
  • Ministry - Stigmata
  • Ministry - Thieves
  • Mirrorthrone - So Frail
  • Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
  • Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
  • Motley Crue - Live Wire
  • Motorhead - Back at the Funny Farm
  • Motorhead - In the Black
  • Motorhead - Marching Off to War
  • Motorhead - We Are the Road Crew
  • Nitro - Machine Gun Eddie
  • Omen - The Axeman
  • Ostrogoth - Queen of Desire
  • Overkill - World of Hurt
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Believer
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
  • Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
  • Quiet Riot - The Wild and the Young
  • Racer X - Technical Difficulties
  • Racer X - Y.R.O.
  • Ratt - Lay It Down
  • Riot - Road Racin
  • Riot - Narita
  • Riot - Swords and Tequila
  • Rob Zombie - Superbeast
  • Rotting Christ - Ad Notics
  • Running Wild - Riding the Storm
  • Sanctuary - Battle Angels
  • Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
  • Saxon - Wheels of Steel
  • Scorpions - Blackout
  • Scorpions - Holiday
  • Skeletonwitch - Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
  • Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
  • Slayer - Metal Storm/Face The Slayer
  • Slough Feg - Warriors Dawn
  • Static-X - Love Dump
  • Tenacious D - Master Exploder
  • Tenacious D - The Metal
  • Testament - For The Glory Of
  • Testament - More Than Meets The Eye
  • Tvangeste - Birth of the Hero
  • UFO - Rock Bottom
  • Whitesnake - Still of the Night
  • Wrath of Killenstein - Ignisis Dance

It's not bad... but quite a few of those tracks are also in RB / GH and so are null and void, but yeah there are some good tracks in that list.

Cradle of Filth + Def Leppard = INSTANT FAIL!

I joke. Plenty of Ozzy, Sabbath, Judas Priest and Tenacious D. Doesn't seem too bad.

Right, I'm getting a bit tired of my current to-and-from-work soundtrack. I'm open to suggestions for a load of random songs to stuff in it for more variety.

My current life playlist, in no order;

In Chains - Depeche Mode

As If By Magic - La Roux

Make-Up - Lou Reed

Cosmic Love - Florence + The Machine

Remember The Time - Michael Jackson

Heart-Shaped Box- Nirvana

Ocean & A Rock - Lisa Hannigan

Hit So Hard - Hole

Signs - Beyonce

Swallowed - Bush

Human Of The Year - Regina Spektor

Bit of a mash between low/high-inducing. All lovely though.

So I finished listening to Kate Bush' entire discography - yep even the two 'bonus' discs Paj :heh: - recently and it was very enjoyable tbh, theres a lot to love about many of her albums.... tracks I'm especially fond of are Wuthering Heights, Hounds of Love, Breathing, Sat in Your Lap, Violin, Symphony in Blue, Mrs Bartolozzi, Pi and Aerial.

There are of course others but those are a few that spring to mind. :D

And today I began listening to P.J Harvey starting with 'Dry' and all I have to say is Wow... I was pleasantly surprised, initially I was reminded of Portishead until I became more familiar with her style with each track; it's a pretty decent album too - glad I took your advice Paj and started from her first album - looking forward to listening to 'Rid of Me' next. :)

Dry I think is all-round perfect, but Rid Of Me is more in your face and scathing. Which is awesome too.

But yeah, PJ Harvey is a musical national treasure. No word of a lie.

Dry is indeed a very good album, I read up on Peej on wikipedia and apparently the other two members of her band left after just that one album? Odd but probably for the best as she has evidently come a long way since; I look forward to finding out how far through continued listening. :smile:

Any song that can incorporate Wii Fit and Mario Kart whilst keeeeeeeping it real deserves attention.

Ladies and Gentlemen, ASHER ROTH.

have some panda bear

Nice, but I prefer the whole Collective.

Dry is indeed a very good album, I read up on Peej on wikipedia and apparently the other two members of her band left after just that one album? Odd but probably for the best as she has evidently come a long way since; I look forward to finding out how far through continued listening. :smile:

They left after Rid Of Me. There's a marked difference between Rid Of Me (band) and To Bring You My Love (solo). It's more defined, more her own refined art, rather than having the atmosphere of a band of people. More vary in styles too. VERY heavy stuff, to more bluesy, acoustic stuff. But both are great.

Paj's Recommendation of the week

Siouxsie & The Banshees : A Kiss In The Dreamhouse

£5.99 on iTunes, £4/5.99 on Play.com

8696699x.jpg

This overlooked/underrated album by the innovators is a short but sweet, steamy, murky and satisfying experience. It dawned on me today that people like Florence and the Machine draw a lot from albums like this, sound wise. Aurally scintillating. None of the songs here are on the The Best Of...it's not their most commercial, but definitely one of the most interesting.