NEurope

the counter argument is that, by exercising restraint, Amos would have crafted a tighter, more complete album rather than releasing a series of songs on disc.

EXACTLY.

I think the album (arrangement) is an art, and it's just as you say. I recently listened to her previous album in an edit down to 13 tracks (the original length is 26 songs!!!) and it works 10x better. It's harder to let go if you like some of the stuff that would be cut, but you'd never know it existed if it wasn't there.

I personally like slowly released B-sides or EP's later on.

Just given Hard Candy a listen through for the first time in months and months. Had Devil Wouldn't Reconise You and She's Not Me been on there, it would have been amazingly abysmal.

I love the moment in she's not me where it goes "She's not me. Devoted for life, make a beautiful wife. If you spend some more time I guarantee you will find, she's not me - I know I can do it better"

How did she make a record like American Life, only to produce something as boring as Hard Candy? Fail.

I don't get why people whine though. You can just make a playlist of the good songs on the albums and you'd have a normal sized album right there. There's enough of them to do that.

I love all of them apart from about 2 personally though.

I'm with you on that. Just because someone dislikes some tracks, doesn't mean someone else won't love them to bits. It's not much trouble to make a playlist of ones you love, like you say. The more, the better tbh. If it means there's a chance of getting more tracks from an artist I love, then I don't see the problem.

Bought Waited Up Til It Was Light by Johnny Foreigner today! :yay: Been looking for the CD for ages and so happy I bought it as it's awesome. A really good British band who really should have a bigger fan base than they do. Check them out. Do it. Do eeeeeeeeetttttt naw!

Also have a couple other albums to run through. Bought the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album on a whim and because I love the song Maps so if there's stuff like that on the album then it should be good.

Prepare to be disappointed and then maybe happy about the new style.

Also agree 100% on Johnny Foreigner

and just checked keepingsomedarksecrets and they have there new song Feels Like Summer available for download here:

http://www.radarmaker.co.uk/get/johnnyforeigner/johnnyforeigner_feelslikesummer.mp3

On first listen pretty good. Hopefully it'll grow to be a classic like all their other tracks. This being an example:

Our Bipolar Friends

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I'm with you on that. Just because someone dislikes some tracks, doesn't mean someone else won't love them to bits. It's not much trouble to make a playlist of ones you love, like you say. The more, the better tbh. If it means there's a chance of getting more tracks from an artist I love, then I don't see the problem.

I understand what you're saying, but I would happily sacrifice some mediocre songs to create a smaller tighter, more 'WOW" album.

And this might nto apply to most mainstream artists. But it does apply to people like Tori Amos, who have produced 18+ track albums in the past that have been perfect and justifiably that length, but now admit to shoving the less good material in with the good.

Albums should be like a portfolio...the best, or the stuff that is best and works well together. Not just everything from the years it spent to make this album.

Every artist must, but almost always finds it hard to, "kill their babies". Tori Amos (harping on I know!) is guilty of not doing this as she refuses to work with anyone outside her friends and family, in her own home recording studio. She has no outside creative output as her contributors/co-producers are family (or virtually are). Creatively an artist (visual, musical whatever) has to make the hard choices to end up with the best rounded piece possible from what they have.

Edited by Paj!

I really want, nay, need these guys to play local soon. For a novelty band, they're surprisingly talented, especially the banjo and guitar player. Plus the singer/violinist/other guitarist is a natural entertainer.

Plus they do THE best version of duelling banjos. Sound qualitys a bit iffy:

The studio version:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Their own stuff is pretty good too:

Edited by Goafer

Currently listening to Blue Lips by Regina Spektor. Saw her on Later... With Jools Holland and she was really good, arguably the best on show there although The Pretenders were pretty good. Had never heard anything by Spektor prior to last night and so it was refreshing to actually her something like that as it's quite different from my usual listenings.

Currently listening to Blue Lips by Regina Spektor. Saw her on Later... With Jools Holland and she was really good, arguably the best on show there although The Pretenders were pretty good. Had never heard anything by Spektor prior to last night and so it was refreshing to actually her something like that as it's quite different from my usual listenings.

Her new stuff is kinda unimpressive. Her last album was too dissapointing, having some good songs hidden behind suffocating production. Her first 3 abums, Songs, 11:11 and Soviet Kitsch are where it's at. Seriously. No two ways about it

Anyone ever have a thing were they like a band but don't realise just how good they are for quite some time when a song of theirs comes on and something just clicks.

Well that just happened with me and The Dillinger Escape Plan thanks to this song:

Those guys are insane. Never seen anyone play like that. Incredible stuff.

I saw em live years ago. went totally over my head back then.

I'd love to see them live since I heard they're pretty darn good live plus I want to know what it's like to be run over:

Anyone listen to Piano Rock stuff. I know it's not really rock but it's harder than a ballad or pop song. Bands like Jacks Manequin and Five for Fighting. Two of my favourite bands of any genre of music.

Five For Fighting - 100 years

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Jon

Anyone listen to Piano Rock stuff. I know it's not really rock but it's harder than a ballad or pop song. Bands like Jacks Manequin and Five for Fighting. Two of my favourite bands of any genre of music.

Five For Fighting - 100 years

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Did you post the right song? Cos that just sounds like James Blunt who last time I checked sung pop songs.

This is what I'd call heavier piano stuff:

The Dresden Dolls - Girl Anachronism

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Did you post the right song? Cos that just sounds like James Blunt who last time I checked sung pop songs.

This is what I'd call heavier piano stuff:

The Dresden Dolls - Girl Anachronism

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

It's not that heavy, but it's hardly pop. Comparing it to James Blunt is a bit retarded, it sounds nothing like that. Not really sure about the track you posted, kinda giving me a headache but each to their own.

This is probably more what I meant

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Dresden Dolls grate on me after a while. As does Amanda Palmer solo.

I know a lot better piano based stuff/artists.

OMG! Just finished watching the Black Symphony concert by Within Temptation and it was unbelievable. So wish I had been there. The collaboration of both the band and the Metropole Orchestra just went hand in hand and was superb and the performance of Mother Earth was worth the £30 alone for the dvd/cd boxset. That one in particular was beyond amazing. It's hard to describe how awesome that was. I seriously recommend giving it a watch if your a fan or even if you aren't. It's a long watched (over 2 hours) but it's totally worth it.

Just found a couple of new GaGa songs. This ones an unreleased ballad of here's, which sounds nothing like anything on The Fame.

Lady GaGa - Wonderful I love the "...Love is wierd" line. Completely simple and to the point, and yet it works.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And then, a new track appearing as a bonus song on the Japanese edition of The Fame when it's released.

Lady GaGa - Retro, Dance, Freak

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Just found a couple of new GaGa songs. This ones an unreleased ballad of here's, which sounds nothing like anything on The Fame.

Lady GaGa - Wonderful I love the "...Love is wierd" line. Completely simple and to the point, and yet it works.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I like this one a lot better than the two. Is it being released at all in the future? Me likey.

Been relistening through Velocifero by Ladytron today, and it really took me to another place. Not in the fact that it was above everything else in it's awesomness or anything, but it really chilled me out and calmed me down after today. Sort of like a sonic massage. Very nice :).

EDIT:

Whilst I'm here, could anyone recommend me some Electronica, along the lines of Ladytron, Golden Filter and Goldfrapp?

Edited by Razz

Been relistening through Velocifero by Ladytron today, and it really took me to another place. Not in the fact that it was above everything else in it's awesomness or anything, but it really chilled me out and calmed me down after today. Sort of like a sonic massage. Very nice :).

I've never particularly got into that album. It just seems a bit generic if you ask me...

--------

I love how genuine this performance is:

The fact that she has a really bad voice just makes the whole song so much better. It makes it feel so much more sincere.

Her guitar ability is amazing too. The fast bits are just so seamless.

I disliked how all of Velocifero sounded the same/ was abrasive to me.

How have I just discovered Royksopp? I am currently listening through Melody A.M and it's everything I've ever wanted.

Strong Black Vine by Tori Amos is pedal to the floor greatness. I love how energetic it gets towards to end, and you just feel like you can't catch your breath before she burst back into "It's a MISSION!".

I do love music.

I need another piano-master like Tori Amos that isn't Tori Amos to feed my new-found lust for piano music.

I just love how Tori Amos makes the song up as she goes along. I was watching a live performance of Cornflake Girl today, and she just randomly started playing a new bridge that I've never heard before in my life, but sounded so appropriate.

And I love how there's interviews where she's at her piano, and when she's talking she's absent-mindedly playing the piano, and it sounds so brilliant! Better than mosts pianists could do with their full concentration.

So yeah - I need someone as good as her to expand my musical life.

I need another piano-master like Tori Amos that isn't Tori Amos to feed my new-found lust for piano music.

I just love how Tori Amos makes the song up as she goes along. I was watching a live performance of Cornflake Girl today, and she just randomly started playing a new bridge that I've never heard before in my life, but sounded so appropriate.

And I love how there's interviews where she's at her piano, and when she's talking she's absent-mindedly playing the piano, and it sounds so brilliant! Better than mosts pianists could do with their full concentration.

So yeah - I need someone as good as her to expand my musical life.

Can't really speak for her musical Expertise but Missy Higgins isn't too bad. It's all piano stuff she does.

Can't really speak for her musical Expertise but Missy Higgins isn't too bad. It's all piano stuff she does.

I liked her first album. She's a bit mellow though. As in, too much of the time.

I liked her first album. She's a bit mellow though. As in, too much of the time.

Yeah, it does get a bit whiney-depressive at times. That's youngsters nowadays.

I love The River though. Might revisit the album, haven't done so in a while. I overplayed Scar yonks ago.