NEurope

I got tickets for the Tori Amos performance this morning at the Savoy Theatre in London. I am WAY too excited!

I hate you.

Right back atcha ;)

Have you seen the new video yet? It's cruel, but I lol'd my way through. Some good bits at the end.

ejecg9.jpg

Have you seen the new video yet? It's cruel, but I lol'd my way through. Some good bits at the end.

ejecg9.jpg

Haha yeah it was almost like she made it on her phone or something, somewhat disappointing, but her videos are never really a large part of her appeal, for me at least.

I like how she has the link with the last album, with Isobel taking the photos in the London Eye. I like little connections like that.

Yeah, I liked Isabel and the return of the legendary jumpsuit (without the cheeto wig).

I wish she'd just get some sort of voice-fixer to stop her from "eeee"-ing all the time though.

I need Third by Portishead, I like the look of the deluxe vinyl box set but it's expensive ¬_¬ My fave song by them would have to be Strangers, not really sure why though.

Anyone got an opinion on Sound Of Silver and if I should get it or not?

Haha yeah it was almost like she made it on her phone or something, somewhat disappointing, but her videos are never really a large part of her appeal, for me at least.

I like how she has the link with the last album, with Isobel taking the photos in the London Eye. I like little connections like that.

I loved the couple of songs of hers you sent me...much more so than the older one you sent (I can't remember what it was). I may need to pick up the album at some point.

I loved the couple of songs of hers you sent me...much more so than the older one you sent (I can't remember what it was). I may need to pick up the album at some point.

You like Tori Amos?

btw get all her albums pre 2005. Otherwise you're getting a flawed vision of her. She goes all mumsy and a bit strange (in a bad way) from then on - nowadays. Don't get her last album first. It's an innapropriate start.

I got it first, and after one listen left it for 6 months. I then got her "greatest hits" collection type CD, and only then did I actually begin to love her. (and so appreciate her 2007 album)

Little Earthquakes is a guarentee you'll like, everyone does. The 90's run of 5 albums is sublime and really what her makes her great. Boys For Pele is her masterpiece, she was a bit mad while making it.

I recall you saying you liked some of the song from From The Choirgirl Hotel. Also among her best.

You like Tori Amos?

btw get all her albums pre 2005. Otherwise you're getting a flawed vision of her. She goes all mumsy and a bit strange (in a bad way) from then on - nowadays.

Little Earthquakes is a guarentee you'll like, everyone does. The 90's run of 5 albums is sublime and really what her makes her great. Boys For Pele is her masterpiece, she was a bit mad while making it.

I recall you saying you liked some of the song from From The Choirgirl Hotel. Also among her best.

I do indeed. I'm far from being a fan, but I really did like a couple of the new songs, more so than anything of hers I've heard before.

I do indeed. I'm far from being a fan, but I really did like a couple of the new songs, more so than anything of hers I've heard before.

Her new songs are very shallow, as the concept of her last album was all fun and generally campy glam rock.

She is/was/can be a stunning songwriter and composer. I urge you to start with Little Earthquakes. It's on Spotify.

A few bands I've been lucky enough to see live,through other bands or festivals.

Parka

Great live band. No massive meanings to the songs, just fun, cheerful music that works REALLY well live. The videos don't really do them justice, they are amazingly energetic live.

Darkwater

Got to see them supporting Hayseed Dixie (who are awesome live by the way, hilarious banter between humourous songs). Nothing groundbreaking, but I've grown quite fond of them anyway.

Fingersmoran

Haven't seen him/them live. A very talented bass player. I'm quite surprised how good music can be with just a bass, a loop pedal and a drum set. His/their youtube videos are a bit weak. Look at his/their Myspace Page or iTunes for better versions of the songs.

Parka were ok, not quite cheerful enough to balance out uninteresting lyrics though. Darkwater I wanted to like at the start of 1920, but didn't really by the end.

Parka were ok, not quite cheerful enough to balance out uninteresting lyrics though. Darkwater I wanted to like at the start of 1920, but didn't really by the end.

Yeah, Parka are definately a live band. Their energy doesn't really translate well to video. Their unusually energetic shows are really contagious, which makes for an awesome show. I've seen them at the last 2 years VW Action show. I hope they're there this year too.

This (along with In Your Eyes) is probably my favourite Kylie song. Love the beat to bits. God, she needs another album like Fever. I love the way she moves in the video too.

"X" annoys me. There's some good songs on there...but it could have had so much more power. Instead, it feels like it's just a half arsed electro-pop effort. In Your Arms would have been fantastic had the chorus not been utterly shit.

Edited by Slaggis

"X" annoys me. There's some good songs on there...but it could have had so much more power. Instead, it feels like it's just a half arsed electro-pop effort. In Your Arms would have been fantastic had the chorus not been utterly shit.

It's way better than that Veronica's album...

No More Rain, Stars, The One = awesome.

Listen to Impossible Princess. It's her best album by far. Interesting to listen to. Her first genuine artistic statement (of a kind).

---

Off to catch Antony & the Johnsons on Jonathan Ross.

It's way better than that Veronica's album...

No More Rain, Stars, The One = awesome.

Listen to Impossible Princess. It's her best album by far. Interesting to listen to. Her first genuine artistic statement (of a kind).

The One is actually beyond shit. It's so damn boring. Kylie sounds best when she's having fun, not trying desperately to keep relavent.

Edited by Slaggis

The One is actually beyond shit. It's so damn boring. Kylie sounds best when she's having fun, not trying desperately to keep relavent.

Well the fun thing is debatable, but I don't get your comment.

Sure some tracks are a bit bizarre, like Heart Beat Rock, but songs like The One are "perfect" and whole. They don't sound like there's something essential missing. A song isn't shit because you find it boring.

Well the fun thing is debatable, but I don't get your comment.

Sure some tracks are a bit bizarre, like Heart Beat Rock, but songs like The One are "perfect" and whole. They don't sound like there's something essential missing. A song isn't shit because you find it boring.

The entire album feels completely rushed, much like Madonna's Hard Candy. It's like the two supposed "queens of pop" just felt like they didn't have to try anymore. Even Kylie said herself, it's far from her best album. Apart from a couple of tracks, the whole album just feels utterly lacklustre. 2 Hearts just didn't work at all either, it was so forced. "Wow" was fun, but still had something missing.

The only track I truly love is "Speakerphone". (In reply to your statement) In this paticularly case, I feel it does. The song isn't good enough to say "It's a good song, however much I can't stand it". It's just boring/plain, and the lyrics are the same. "Can you feel me? I'd do anything to have you near me".

Obviously the public felt the same, consdering it didn't sell wonderfully...even with all the publicity around her recording the album (Her illness etc).

The entire album feels completely rushed, much like Madonna's Hard Candy. It's like the two supposed "queens of pop" just felt like they didn't have to try anymore. Even Kylie said herself, it's far from her best album. Apart from a couple of tracks, the whole album just feels utterly lacklustre. 2 Hearts just didn't work at all either, it was so forced. "Wow" was fun, but still had something missing.

The only track I truly love is "Speakerphone". (In reply to your statement) In this paticularly case, I feel it does. The song isn't good enough to say "It's a good song, however much I can't stand it". It's just boring/plain, and the lyrics are the same. "Can you feel me? I'd do anything to have you near me".

Obviously the public felt the same, consdering it didn't sell wonderfully...even with all the publicity around her recording the album (Her illness etc).

First off, the public should never be brought into a discussion about the quality of music! :p

It shits on hard Candy. Because the production makes a lot of the songs work, and they feel (as I said) whole. I don't listen to it often, I'm not her biggest fan, but I recognise a decent electro-pop song/album when I hear it.

I'd prefer she kept doing different sounding things. I think Fever is the disco-y one, right? Body language had the fucking brilliant, more subdued songs like Slow and Chocolate, and then this is more electro-y.

Again, Impossible Princess (despite it's frilly title) is her best. Shows she has more artistic merit than a lot of her contemporaries. So I appreciate any change.

I don't even like her that much! I hate arguing about people I'm mostly indifferent to. ::shrug:

Disco-y...Yeah, I suppose. Had some brilliant tracks on. Oh, I agree, Hard Candy is Abysmal, Madonna truly lost it when she recorded such a terrible album. I'm not saying X is as bad as that, but I'm just saying it could have been so much better.

Disco-y...Yeah, I suppose. Had some brilliant tracks on. Oh, I agree, Hard Candy is Abysmal, Madonna truly lost it when she recorded such a terrible album. I'm not saying X is as bad as that, but I'm just saying it could have been so much better.

I prefer a lot of Hard Candy to the Veronicas...

(I'm not gonna let them go! :grin: It was horrific :o)

I love listening to Kate Bush songs for the first time that I've heard so many times.

Like, I listened to Between A Man And A Woman today. A lovely song.

I love Kate Bush's 3 more mature albums (The Red Shoes, The Sensual World and Aerial).

I prefer a lot of Hard Candy to the Veronicas...

(I'm not gonna let them go! :grin: It was horrific :o)

Haha! I love them to bits. Take Me On The Floor is brilliant, in my personal opinion of course. When it comes to music, if I had a choice between "deep" music and "fun" music, I'd pick fun everytime...so I guess that's why we differ so much. (Though...it's possible to be both...)

Hardly. I mean, it's good but there's a good few tracks on tat album alone that are far better.

Fraking amazing album I reckon. I love it.