NEurope

Does your liking it make it good?

No.

It's all subjective, people like what they like and dislike what they don't, personally I don't believe I have listened to the aforementioned artist so Idk if I like her or not but it sounds like Dyson has at least listened to something by her and did not like what he heard, which is fair enough I think?

Who said that?

Fact is, her music (or at least YS, her second album, the first album even grates on me in parts) is just outstanding. It's admirable, as there's nothing quite like it, and it's beautiful poetry. That's just a fact. (BUT DYSON DOESN'T HAVE TO LIKE THE MUSIC.) It's like...I should be revising Keats at teh moment for my English resit tomorrow. He's a great poet, but I'm not interested. I prefer Hopkins' poetry. That just my preference.

Dyson could dislike her sound so much he could want to burn down her house, but that doesn't make her poetry/music bad. Voice is a different thing. IMO it's beautiful on YS. (as I say, grating somewhat on her other albums), but it still has idiosyncrasies, and if one doesn't like it, they'll never like her.

I just dislike when people think what they like is amazing, and they don't is guff, black and white.

EDIT: That's really..mixed-up. Effectively, it's great poetry, but you don't have to like it. But it would be nice if people recognised it for being good poetry, whether or not they enjoy how it's presented or not.

Edited by Paj!

I just dislike when people think what they like is amazing, and they don't is guff, black and white.

Fair enough, but if someone likes a band and thinks that band are amazing, then they basically are amazing, to that person at least and if you like a band and don't care what anyone else thinks of them then that's all that matters.

Just because "X" number of people or critics say that an album is amazing though doesn't make it so, because if it were an undisputable fact then that should in theory mean that everyone agrees with that sentiment surely?

So it's all subjective... for me personally I really like certain bands / artists and no matter what anyone says about them, I will still continue to like them; however I won't go around saying "this artist is rubbish" etc without first at least listening to something by them; if someone happens to really like a band / artist that I dislike then that's just their personal preference, obviously there is something about that artist in question that has made them endearing to that person.

However, that doesn't mean that one persons taste in music is superior to anothers, people find all different types of music captivating for different reasons; there is no right or wrong choice.

Ideally it is nice if people try listening to tracks from artists they wouldn't normally listen to once in a while as you never know, you may like what you hear, but if you dislike it then it's no big loss. :)

Fair enough, but if someone likes a band and thinks that band are amazing, then they basically are amazing, to that person at least and if you like a band and don't care what anyone else thinks of them then that's all that matters.

Yes, but personally I (it might just be me) listen to stuff, and love it, but know that's not exactly great. Some of Tori Amos' stuff in recent years, it's more fun than anything, but it's not stellar. But I know that.

Just because "X" number of people or critics say that an album is amazing though doesn't make it so, because if it were an undisputable fact then that should in theory mean that everyone agrees with that sentiment surely?

Well in the unique case of this album (which I know you haven't heard, but bear with me), the lyrics are efectively long (like...13 minute) poems. And it's brilliant poetry. So that's what i was saying about me not liking the poetry of Keats overly (preferring other poets), but recognising that Keats is still a great great poet. (technically)

So it's all subjective... for me personally I really like certain bands / artists and no matter what anyone says about them, I will still continue to like them; however I won't go around saying "this artist is rubbish" etc without first at least listening to something by them; if someone happens to really like a band / artist that I dislike then that's just their personal preference, obviously there is something about that artist in question that has made them endearing to that person.

As I said, I listen to a lot of utter shit. Britney Spears I occasionally listen to, and she really is a talentless piece of crap that really is just a face to her producer's music. But i get enjoyment out of some of her songs...but I know it's awful. (mostly) I know what you're saying though.

However, that doesn't mean that one persons taste in music is superior to anothers, people find all different types of music captivating for different reasons; there is no right or wrong choice.

Ideally it is nice if people try listening to tracks from artists they wouldn't normally listen to once in a while as you never know, you may like what you hear, but if you dislike it then it's no big loss. :)

I agree, and I make a point of giving most things a go before forming a strong opinion. And it's not disliking that gets me, disliking is perfectly fine. Seriously. People like and dislike all kinds of music. It's the lack of acknowledgment that certains bits of music are technically good. Not whether or not someone likes them.

Anyway, I'm a in a depressed bad mood today so I was just looking for a fight.

:)

This. So much this. 10000000%. No one can disagree with this basically.

It depends what you listen to music for.

If you only want to dance and have fun, Britney Spears is perfect.

Joanna Newsom actually takes effort to listen to, because all her songs are so intricately narrated, and her voice is outputting (at first).

Ys just fills me with awe. How did she begin to write it?

She's the one who duetted with Jimmy Page right?

Are you mistaking Jimmy Page for Robert Plant?

I think we should ban the objective/subjective argument. It really does get old.

You'd have to ban flat out statements too.

Such as "Paramore are great", "Coldplay are rubbish", "Jenny Lewis can't sing"

etc etc

I guess if we just allow the fact that "all statements made in this thread are just opinions" then that can just about cover everything nicely :)

(I love the random inclusion of Jenny Lewis in that example, and the fact she was the first singer to come into my head.)

Getting away from the arguing and back to the music, this is what I've been listening to:

Know there won't be much love for it but I love it. The whole album, Beautiful Tragedy, is just great.

I've come around to a lot of Placebo's new album. Some songs are just fun rocky songs that please me. :)

I especially like;

/ Seems Youtube isn't working. I was going to post Battle For The Sun (the title track).

Songs that make you feel pr0 when you sing them? I can't help but get into the zone for Daniel Beddingfield's 'Gotta Get Thru This'. Awesome to sing to, shit spelling though. American nobheads...

Songs that make you feel pr0 when you sing them? I can't help but get into the zone for Daniel Beddingfield's 'Gotta Get Thru This'. Awesome to sing to, shit spelling though. American nobheads...

I'm pretty sure he's british, because I'm pretty sure Natasha Bedingfield is British and they're siblings.

But yeah, shit spelling.

I love singing along to Floorplan by Tegan and Sara especially the bit at the end

"I shouldn't go but I can't really help it, when I feel this PRESSURE!

I shouldn't go when I feel this building.

I shouldn't go but I can't really help it, when I feel this PRESSURE building."

And I love having the image of them touching a building, and grasping at a blue cartoony floorplan when they sing it in my head.

I'm pretty sure he's british, because I'm pretty sure Natasha Bedingfield is British and they're siblings.

But yeah, shit spelling.

I love singing along to Floorplan by Tegan and Sara especially the bit at the end

"I shouldn't go but I can't really help it, when I feel this PRESSURE!

I shouldn't go but I can't really help it, when I feel this PRESSURE building."

And I love having the image of them touching a building, and grasping at a blue cartoony floorplan when they sing it in my head.

Lol tis a good song. And I meant Americans are dumb because they spell it like that, not that Daniel is of that nationality.

Lol tis a good song. And I meant Americans are dumb because they spell it like that, not that Daniel is of that nationality.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

Paj you know what I mean, it's just a bit pointless that we make a language and then they change it to cause complications. There's probably some convoluted explanation but why bother looking into it? Just complain!

It's just txt/gangsta speak.

It does make things look stupid, though. But in Sinead O Connor and Prince's case, I let it slde.

Songs that make you feel pr0 when you sing them?

Everlong by Foo Fighters.

Maximo Park - Books from Boxes

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

The National - Mistaken for Strangers

Cut Copy - So Haunted

Justice - We Are Your Friends

TV on the Radio - Dancing Choose

Though I can't sing! :)

Andrew WK - Party Hard

RATM - Killing in the Name, Renegades of Funk

Scorpions - Here I Am (Rock You Like A Hurricane)

AC/DC - Back in Black

Micheal Jackson - Beat It, Bad

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now, We Are the Champions

Jimmy Eat World - Salt, Sweat, Sugar

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer

Starship - We Built This City on Rock and Roll

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon of Choice

Stereophonics - Bartender and the Thief

Eric Clapton - Layla

War - Lowrider

Guns 'n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

Edited by Goafer

Back in black, Eye of the Tiger and Beat it are awesome I have to sing along to I have to say. Can't argue with Rock You either.

Everlong by Foo Fighters.

Maximo Park - Books from Boxes

RATM - Killing in the Name, Renegades of Funk

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer

Agree to all of those, also...

Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home, Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial)

Empire Of The Sun - We Are The People, Swordfish Hotkiss Night

Foo Fighters - DOA, Monkey Wrench, Stacked Actors, The Pretender

Interpol - Obstacle 1, Mammoth

Kings of Leon - Molly's Chambers

Linkin Park - One Step Closer, What I've Done

Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure, Our Velocity, Let's Get Clinical

Metallica - Enter Sandman, Ride The Lightning, Battery, Blackened, Cyanide

Muse - Showbiz, Plug In Baby, Time Is Running Out, Starlight

NIN - Head Like A Hole, March Of The Pigs, Closer, Capital G, The Hand That Feeds, Head Down

Pearl Jam - Even Flow

Queens Of The Stone Age - Go With The Flow, 3's and 7's, Feel Good Hit Of The Summer, Sick Sick Sick

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees, Creep

Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

Snow Patrol - Starfighter Pilot, Spitting Games, Set The Fire To The Third Bar, Disaster Button

The Feeling - Strange

The Killers - Mr Brightside, Sam's Town, Spaceman

The Offspring - Staring At The Sun

Yeah... I like to sing a lot. ^^'

Salt, Sweat, Sugar?! Boo! You're not a real fan! :P

(my JEW song of choice would be "A Praise Chorus" :D