NEurope

The band currently topping my listening is that which is displayed in my avatar: Haloo Helsinki! Won't bother posting any of their stuff just now mainly because it's all in Finnish and it won't be understood (I don't even know what they're singing). But there's something about listening to a foreign language song that's just better than listening to something sung in English. I think alot of people fail to see past the lyrics of a song and so sometimes the music is lost on people or it's the other way around and we never really appreciate the song as a whole but with something in a different language, because we don't understand it we have to listen to it in a deeper way and thus get a better feel for the music and the lyrics, even though we don't know what they mean.

Can't speak for everyone, but when I listen to a song in a language I don't understand, I tend to listen to how it's said more than I would if it was in English.

Songs in a foreign language can sometimes be a lot more fun to sing than English songs.

I freaking love singing along to "Sonne" by Rammstein (especially the line "Sie ist der hellste Stern von allen/Und wird nie vom Himmel fallen"). And to the huge amount of J-Pop/J-Rock that I have, although the fast sections do get me.

Songs in a foreign language can sometimes be a lot more fun to sing than English songs.

I freaking love singing along to "Sonne" by Rammstein (especially the line "Sie ist der hellste Stern von allen/Und wird nie vom Himmel fallen"). And to the huge amount of J-Pop/J-Rock that I have, although the fast sections do get me.

That's probably because you're able to suspend the disdain of your own ears since you can't actually understand the embarrassing utterances. Singing something or saying it with a musical/ rhythmic backing tends to make it lyrically and thematically more more convincing, since the instrumentalisation sets the mood and tone for the argument the lyrics are trying to make. If you don't know the meaning of the words, you can invent whatever connotations you want. That's why I enjoy Sigur Ros...probably. Who knows.

Can't speak for everyone, but when I listen to a song in a language I don't understand, I tend to listen to how it's said more than I would if it was in English.

Exactly, there's probably more reliance on tonality. In fact, even bands like Behemoth or Converge rely on this for me, cause the music is pretty fucking aggressive and angry, and seeing as I can't actually understand the lyrics (I would if I read up on them, but I prefer to see the music as autonomous), it just acts as pure tone for me. There's no real dialogic content, all it serves to do is create a mood. But that's why I love it.

Edited by The Bard
Automerged Doublepost

The girl who lives with me said the reason I don't like Blue October was because I'd never experienced true trauma.

I was like "..."

Just so wrong. WRONG. They're like...a better Blink 182.

Explosions in the Sky and Empire of the Sun are rocking my headphones. The latter is a bit like the baby spawned after Stellastarr* met Biffy Clyro at a stoner rave.

^ Yep. Got a few Matt Pond PA songs. Their cover of Champagne Supernova is great. I prefer it to the Oasis version. Likewise, their cover of Airplane Over The Sea is equally great.

Listened briefly to Explosions In The Sky (since people are raving about them), off their 2001 album. Seemed pretty cool/nice/relaxing/chillaxed/fun/wonderful.

But then I felt the overwhelming urge to listen to this instead;

How can you post an Antony video without first posting this, his most essential song:

Too bad he's not even singing in this version.

I saw Joan as Police Woman last summer at a festival, and even though the song is still great, it's just not the same without Antony.

It's pretty odd/cool when you can see the same track(s) in different people's last.fm things. Oddy pointed out that we had the same track there once -- except I never have my scrobbler on, so it's always wrong :P Explosions in the Sky all round!

EITS for me too. Lovely stuff for a late night word document bother, or somesuch.

definitely getting tickets for them in September.

EITS (at least, the FNL soundtrack) is just shaded heavy with sadness, it breaks me. Lonely Train -- i didn't know what the track was and it was reminding me of the lonely train rides (perhaps because she's on my mind anyway) I undertook, leaving leeds for the 4-hour trip to brighton.

Thanks to bastard friends, I've been listening to the Hammer all day. Thinking of getting some balloon pants and the lines shaved into the side of my head...

For ReZ and anyone who might enjoy Lego based music videos :p

Anyone willing to share what (if any) R&B/rap tunes they like that have been devoured by the masses? I know it's old but Day n Night - Kid Cudi is one that is to my liking.

That song always irratated me. The tone of how he sings it, and the "ah ah" in the back sounds like a bad Hot Chip B-side.

That song always irratated me. The tone of how he sings it, and the "ah ah" in the back sounds like a bad Hot Chip B-side.

You should watch the original, the Crookers remix kills its message for me. Words cannot describe how good it is.

Admittedly the original is better, and less annoying, but it still...grates on me for some reason.

Listened to some Datarock earlier, sounded very cool. Placebo's new album is enjoyable (expected it to be awful), and gave Sinead O Connors first album a listen. <3

Urghhhh I'm really starting to hate Lady GaGa. Already wasn't a fan of her, but this LoveGame song just plain sucks. The lyrics make me want to pull out my hair. Take this song off my favourite radio stationnnnnnnn.

*puts on Röyksopp music*