The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Rush - 2112

Dream Theater - Live at Budokan

The Postal Service - Give Up

Final Fantasy - Has a Great Home

Yellow Wood - Ep1

Metallica - S&M

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

My top albums. No particular order and likely to change.

people! enough with the lists again!

Please, keep it to posts someone is likely to give two shits about and read

I've gone just over 47 hours with no The Feeling!

I'm only tackling withdrawal symptoms with alcohol, alternative problems (girls, homework, lack of sleep) and a mix of Hey Julie, Map Of The Problematique, amongst other Muse stuff, Maximo Park, The Fray and Snow Patrol.

I'm still a bit grouchy, but that's probably more down to the lack of sleep. :heh:

New album of SOAD out?

I'm assuming you mean Serj Tankians solo album Elect the Dead.

According to wiki its out October 23rd.

people! enough with the lists again!

Please, keep it to posts someone is likely to give two shits about and read

Dan D tells it like it is, was, and forever will be.

Had a look at my iTunes library earlier and I couldn't believe how much my musical tastes have changed. A few years ago I was obsessed about how technically awesome songs had to be, if they didn't feature sweep picking and two hand tapping they were crap. Nowadays, i'm much more interested in great songwriting, simple melodies and insightful lyrics. Joe Satriani is about all that's left from the old days.

I know how you feel. My tastes vary quite a bit although I've never delved fully into pure pop and Urban music.

Other than that I'm not really held to any styles which is strange as any group of people know always have music that reflects the culture they follow. I.e indie kids, goths, emos etc.

I'm just all round listen to mostly anything I guess.

Joe Satriani isn't really music though. Him, Vai, Malmsteen and just about every other esteemed "shredder" can't actually write music for shit, and as such have got just a completely mathematical and formulaic approach. It's all pretty disappointing. So mechanical that they've actually managed to eliminate any human element from their "music" whatsoever. As Alexi Laiho once said; "It's not fucking music, it's sport."

Joe Satriani isn't really music though. Him, Vai, Malmsteen and just about every other esteemed "shredder" can't actually write music for shit, and as such have got just a completely mathematical and formulaic approach. It's all pretty disappointing. So mechanical that they've actually managed to eliminate any human element from their "music" whatsoever. As Alexi Laiho once said; "It's not fucking music, it's sport."

QFT. I agree 100%.

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, except that Satriani is capable of writing a decent song, Always with me, Always with you and Love Thing are two songs in which is guitar playing is really reserved and sutble.

Bugger all this modern balls, I'm going way back to the old school tonight with some hardcore swing and big band. Getting my groove on to some Fats Waller, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington and Tony Bennet among others.

Foo Fighters' new album is out tomorrow, yes?
(Yayz at another excuse to talk about it :yay: )

It was leaked on the internet last week, so I gave it quite some listens (OK, a lot of listens). Judging reviews, if you're not really a Foo Fighters fan, you're going to think it's a bit meh-ish, as they don't have a really new sound and it doesn't sound as very inspired music, and you're probably right in doing so. However, if you're a fan, you get exactly what you want, because even if the sound isn't new, it's been recycled really, really well. The sounds of the previous albums all come back; The Pretender is typical CatS stuff, Long Road to Ruin is nearly a pure ripoff of Learn to Fly, Erase/Replace brings back One by One and even the first Foo album comes back in Cheer Up Boys. Nearly all are great songs though, and there's plenty of soft songs that make it a varied listen. Also note the new sound of Statues, which is probably the best song on the album.

Buh, I should listen to more bands.

(Yayz at another excuse to talk about it :yay: )

It was leaked on the internet last week, so I gave it quite some listens (OK, a lot of listens). Judging reviews, if you're not really a Foo Fighters fan, you're going to think it's a bit meh-ish, as they don't have a really new sound and it doesn't sound as very inspired music, and you're probably right in doing so. However, if you're a fan, you get exactly what you want, because even if the sound isn't new, it's been recycled really, really well. The sounds of the previous albums all come back; The Pretender is typical CatS stuff, Long Road to Ruin is nearly a pure ripoff of Learn to Fly, Erase/Replace brings back One by One and even the first Foo album comes back in Cheer Up Boys. Nearly all are great songs though, and there's plenty of soft songs that make it a varied listen. Also note the new sound of Statues, which is probably the best song on the album.

Buh, I should listen to more bands.

Cool, sounds awesome :D

I'll have to pop into town on Wednesday to pick it up :)

I just like music that sounds god to my ears.

Fuck technical shit or swinging melodies, if it sounds good, i'll listen.

Dragonette's debut album "Galore" is out tomorrow as well. (My Birthday too)

I urge everyone who is intered in GOOD pop/rock music. It's the best i've heard in years. (DL'd it ages ago..wish i'd waited. I might buy it regardless of allready having it)

I read top album posts. Well, skim, to see if it matches any of my tastes.

Current albums I'm loving, since I can't do all-time:

Siouxsie Sioux - Mantaray 9/10

Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie 8/10

Garbage - beaurtifulgarbage 8.7/10

Darren Hayes - This Delicate Thing We've Made 7.9/10

All of Bjorks stuff. 11/10.

QFT. I agree 100%.

Fuck you two.

I agree with Vai to some extent though.

Just went to a music expo, got to see Gonçalo Pereira and Aki Tanaka live which rocked a lot.

I also played in my favourite guitar:

gibson-sg-standard.jpg

Awesome stuff.

Hadouken! gig on Saturday:yay:

Only problem is they haven't sent tickets yet:(

Also downloaded pigeon detectives and am in the process of downloading kings of leon and cobra starship.

Fuck you two.

I agree with Vai to some extent though.

Aww, c'mon! There's no denying that it's formulaic, I think that's pretty much settled...

Take Vai, then, it's the same formula as Satriani or Malmsteem, only he's not as good a composer. Now, even though both Satriani and Malmsteem have some good stuff (I can't think of anything from Satriani, but that's coz I hate him... but yeah, he's earned my respect and as for Malmsteem, Rising Force's quality cannot be questioned), the truth is that it's almost like they're always reading the same book, just in different languages.

Well, honestly, I've never been much of a shredding genre because of that, it's stagnant.

And to all the people saying that it's great because it's technical and etc (I know you're not one of them), I say "fuck that", coz there are bands running in that same league that kick their butt everyday both composition-wise and technical-wise. And anyway, technical difficulty and quality do not increase proportionally, so... I'll take hardcore over proggressive metal anyday.

I just can't agree, Satriani and Malsteem (malsteem not always but he has a lot of kick ass songs, I love his barroque style) pull me in with their songs and keep me interested, the song writing is diverse and interesting while I find most of the hardcore bands you listen too, a mess of noises, which ultimately ruin what could be great music (for my ears), because lots of the musicians are very good.

That's what I generally think about progressive and hardcore, I just don't like the way things have been evolving, it's just too angry.

EDIT: I also don't see prog as shredding. At all. At least the prog I listen to, it's not like a listen to a lot of stuff.