NEurope

But then that's more a problem with the shitty performer, not the concept of putting a dance with the music. Which I should probably ask, is it just practicalities or the whole concept that annoys you?

This.

I'd prefer pop star people sang live well than did intricate dance routines at the expense of their voice, but some people can pull both off really well. (One being GaGa, to bring the discussion full-circle.)

It's the Britney Spears' of the world who neither sing nor dance (very well) on stage that bemuse me.

Why not just play the album?

If you go to a gig and there is no alteration on the music and there is nothing interesting aesthetically, then it makes for a pretty poor concert. Concerts should be as much about the spectacle and the experience rather than solely the music in my opinion.

More specifically, what's wrong with dance routines? They make things interesting, they hardly ever detract from the experience.

I don't know if you read what I posted, but I'll quote the words of importance "stage presence" and "embelishment". Two elements that can contribute to creating a unique live experience, I suppose I could have added energy to that. Though I will say, some people are entertained just seeing songs they like modestly performed by an artist, group or band. Different strokes etc.

As for dance routines, I think Paj covers it, too many people who can't do both well at the same time.

I have nothing to do until the football starts (and am also poor) so I thought i'd cave in. 4 tracks in, 'Soft as Chalk' is fantastic.

I think you're in for a treat come the 23rd Paj.

I'm on another forum that was having a freak out as it leaked...it was on sale in some indie shop in NY by mistake and this woman actively left work to try and get the CD first. :D (I assume it leaked from this shop or similar)

And most of the big reviews are in, saying it's the second coming or something.

I'm ready.

----

I've never got a response before here, but does ANYONE else like Saint Etienne? They're fucking amazing, and always mentioned in hushed tones, using words like "influential", "90's London", "Stunning" etc. They're just great. I assumed they'd be more unknown-prolific, if you know what I mean.

I'd recommend listening to an album rather than just songs, they're quite obviously constructed pieces of work. Foxbase Alpha and So Tough just got amazing remasters, it's hard to think of sound that good coming from 1991. (i.e better than the above vids)

Edited by Paj!

I like what I've heard of Saint Etienne but then I've never listened to them that much. Much like Stereolab, i've liked everything I've heard by them but then I never seem to actively listen to them.

---

Just had a thought about Newsom, she'll likely be interviewed on The Culture Show when she plays the Royal Festival Hall in May.

Edited by killthenet
Automerged Doublepost

http://www.bjork.com/news/?id=970;year=2010;rss#news

Thom Yorke worked with Rag & Bone for five months to compile the perfect soundtrack for their show at the New York Fashion Week. "A lot of bass this season. At the men’s show, we blew out a speaker," says Style designer David Neville.

Thom's short but sweet playlist includes:

Squarepusher - Freeman, Hardy, and Willis Acid

Modeselektor - Dark Side of the Sun

Björk - The Dull Flame of Desire

Charles Mingus - II B.S.

Björk and Thom have previously worked on music together for the songs I've Seen It All (Dancer In The Dark) and Icelandic environmental support song Nattúra, and Thom has with Radiohead in a webcast covered Unravel, which he previously has described as his favourite song ever. Check it out on youtube.

I love Unravel being his favourite song ever, and the fact he's using The Dull Flame Of Desire (goes on for 7 minutes).

According to Steel Train's twitter Tegan and Sara's new video is available on their MySpace but seems country blocked. Sure you can find it somewhere else though.

Had this in my head the last few days:

Only listened to it recently but it feels so familiar.

According to Steel Train's twitter Tegan and Sara's new video is available on their MySpace but seems country blocked. Sure you can find it somewhere else though.

It's on YT in bad quality. It's for Alligator (not the best song on the album, but I'll deal), and seems kinda cool. Involving dancing and woolen things.

Bruce Springteen's ability to inspire you with a song; no matter how many times you've heard it, never fails to surprise me.

The man is unequalled.

The new Marina and the Diamonds arrived on my doorstep today, 2 days before release :) Upon first listen it feels like the first half of the album is absolutely lovely, but I will have to warm to the second half over time. Stand out songs of those I hadn't heard previously for me are Shampain and Are You Satisfied?. While songs I already know (Mowgli's Road, Obsessions and Hollywood) are still just as much enjoyable to listen since the first time I heard them:)

Edit: Ok, I'm warming to the second half a lot now:D

Edited by Rowan

I´ve had on Fridays music technology course at university. It´s been very interesting and also relaxing at the same time when I compare it to my regular studies. There has been introduction to using Pro Tools and Logic which are sequencer programs.

Does anyone like singing here? I do. Very Much.

Bruce Springteen's ability to inspire you with a song; no matter how many times you've heard it, never fails to surprise me.

The man is unequalled.

Yes.

For those mathematicians:

Bruce Springsteen iff Tegan and Sara iff awesomeness.

And the same is true of The Unmentionables, TBH/F.

To quote her very self, "I cry again." everytime I hear Angelene by PJ Harvey.

----

Cerys Matthews' new single, Into The Blue. It has two official videos, one obviously Cerys trying to have a joke, but failing...

Edited by chairdriver
Automerged Doublepost

Yeasayer Yeasayer Yeasayer

You lot have probably already discussed, but I'm enjoying Odd Blood, muchly.

This has been stuck in my head for ages.

Her new album is really good (for her).

Other songs that keep going around in my head;

(prefer the album version, but this isn't bad. The video's pretty good too.)

Is that a joke? I don't know who that is (is it Van Damme?).
haha yeah, I can't even remember where the 'jokes' from now, but it's basically...

jean, claude, VAN, DAMN!!