NEurope
Retro_Link

Zack & Wiki

Been a pretty poor show TBH. I was expecting at least some Monster Hunter and R Evil 5 info, all that was shown was stuff we knew about. Guess we will have to wait for E3.

Game|Life Hands-On: Project Treasure Island Z

IGN's Hands-On

At its Gamers Day 2007 event in San Francisco, Capcom debuted the first playable version of its quirky, stylized puzzle game, tentatively titled Project Treasure Island Z. We can tell you for certain that eventually the offering will be given a new name, but for now that's the official moniker. Treasure Island Z's producer, Hironobu Takeshita calls the endeavor a "sort of puzzle-adventure game in which you use the Wii controller to solve many different puzzles," and adds, "Wii is a very innovative piece of hardware. What this game represents for us is that we've tried to think through the best and most interesting way to be as innovative with the controls as Nintendo has with the hardware."

Some snobby Wii elite wrote this title off as shovelware from the moment Capcom released the first screenshots of it -- it employs a cel-shaded technique very similar to The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (and just as beautiful, based on some of the gameplay scenes we've witness in motion). We, on the other hand, were always intrigued by the style and hoped that there would be solid content, controls and challenge to match. There is. With this game, Capcom has created a title that harkens back to the beloved adventures of old and frankly, having gone through a four-level demo during its presentation, we concluded that it was one of the best efforts at the event.

This is Zach. Get to know him.

You play as Zack, who aspires to become the greatest pirate who ever lived. The character is flying through the sky in his ship when it is shot down, leaving him to land -- float down, really -- to an island below, where he discovers hidden treasure and the prospect of helping a cursed pirate. The game is comprised of seven major theme worlds and more than 20 sub-areas to explore and you will over the course of the adventure make your way through jungle ruins, ice temples, airships, ancient castles and more. There are also, incidentally, more than 35 enemies to encounter, 80 objects that can be manipulated in some fashion and 500 items to search for and collect. Capcom is promising upward of 40 hours of gameplay, which surprised us in a big way. The locales are vibrant and remarkably pretty -- the simple cel-shaded graphics may not be the ideal solution for gamers who seek gritty, realistic affairs, but nevertheless Treasure Island effortlessly ranks as one of the most striking titles on Wii.

Stage 2 looks awesome.

Treasure Island is a puzzle game and many of the puzzles are centered on devising ways to use the Wii remote. "First and foremost, you only use the Wii remote, but you will use it in a variety of different ways. Probably in more ways than you will in any other game. You need to figure out how to use the controller to solve the puzzles," says Takeshita. "Figuring out how to use the controller is the most important part of the game." Using the Wii remote in different manners is integral to the puzzles, but controlling Zack through the well-presented world is as simple as pointing to an area you want him to walk toward and tapping the A button. If you ever played Monkey Island or King's Quest, it is more or less the same thing here. The lack of direct control may annoy some, but -- perhaps because we grew up playing the classic adventure titles -- we're perfectly accepting of it. When Zack is able to interact with an object, your on-screen reticule changes colors to let you know. And meanwhile, you can hold down the B trigger at any point to look around the world -- if something is hidden out of view, you'll be abel to interact with it by pressing the A button even while you're in look mode.

presentation betrays its true nature. Treasure Island Z will challenge you and, if the levels we played at Capcom's event are any indication, it will stump you, too. Zack plays through puzzle stages, each filled with booby traps and secrets, useable items and death-bringing foes. The goal for each stage is to find and obtain a treasure chest located within and the difficulty varies between puzzles, but even the earliest areas had some players perplexed. We don't view this is a drawback, but a plus -- genuine gameplay hurdles are a rare commodity in today's industry and we're pleased to see a game that doesn't make any excuses for being hard. It is also mean. If you mess up at any point during a puzzle, Zack will die and you will have to restart the challenge from scratch. Some of the challenges lasted between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the player. Amazingly -- and this truly takes a lot of nerve -- a company representative said one particular puzzle in the game can take as long as two hours to complete. How would you like to die at the end of that one and have to restart the entire process? The game ranks you on time and whether or not you asked for a hint and compiles and end score based on both. Theoretically, there's a lot of replay value to be had for gamers who want the best score.

It's simple, but the style works.

As Zack encounters items or obstacles, you will have to figure out what needs to be done to advance. In some cases, it's as simple as opening a doorway with a key and in others you will have to rearrange a level to create an Indiana Jones-style environmental domino effect to continue forward. Regardless of the task, the game doesn't hold your hand and so you'll really have to think about some of the hurdles in order to make it past them. The functionality of the Wii remote is tied directly to these puzzles and Capcom has created a variety of scenarios that have you using the device in different ways. In some cases, you will have to push the controller forward and make a turning motion in order to open a doorway. In others, you will have to make a sawing motion to cut through a tree. In more still, you might have to hold the Wii remote like a flute and tap its buttons as though they were keyholes. There's a cranking motion too. You'll also make a gesture for scooping up water. There are dozens more. Basically, you have to imagine the Wii remote as the item and then you have to figure out how the item might be used in certain situations.

Accompanying you on your adventures is Wiki, Zack's truster partner -- a cute, hovering golden monkey with inexplainable magic powers. If you shake the Wii remote, Wiki will bring out a bell and ring it loudly, which stuns certain enemies like ghosts. Interestingly, though, shaking the Wii remote near specific foes will cause Wiki to transform them into useful items. A centipede early on is changed into the centi-saw when you shake the Wii remote. Zack eventually picks the saw up and uses it to cut down a tree, creating a bridge to an otherwise unreachable locale beyond.

Zach getting his smack on.

Treasure Island Z is a single-player game, but Capcom believes that it can be enjoyed by multiple people at once. This proved to be true as we made our way through the four levels included in the demo, as passersby would stop on a regular basis to look over our shoulder and give advice. "Try looking up in the tree," and "I think you need to place the stone on that grate." Indeed, we might not have survived some of the challenges if not for the help of both friends and complete strangers.

In the last stage, which is creepy castle filled with moonlit stone walkways and skulls that turn into ghosts when they are not illuminated, we died several times before we finally figured it out and the end result was highly rewarding. Zack begins the four-tier level on the second floor, must make his way to the first to find a pulley system, turn its chamber to the right twice with the Wii remote, and then progress back up again to ride a mill that has changed directions because of his action. Once he's up there, there are the skulls and you must devise a way to get them away from a fountain so that you can gain its crescent moon item. Easier said than done. Nearly everybody who tried bit the dust, but we eventually figured it out and completed the first look at the game. This level in particular is gorgeous.

Project Treasure Island Z is scheduled to ship this fall on Wii for the price of $39.95. Based on what we've seen and played of the game so far, it is a refreshing effort that makes smart use of the Wii remote and looks superior graphically to most Wii projects. Capcom is officially three for three on Wii.

I wasnt that interested in the title when it was announced. But having read the hands-on and having seen the gameplay videos, i'm highly interested in it now. It's intriguing to figure out how to use the wiimote to solve the puzzles. Sounds great!

1up show made the most insightful comments, they said it was trial and error based much of the time. Make a mistake and you die and start again. wasting "hours" even. So sounds like it sucks if that is truely the gameplay

Make a mistake and you die and start again. wasting "hours" even.

What the 1UP retard legion (and Joystiq, for that matter) didn't remember to say, that all cutscenes and dialog are skipable with minus button. In fact, Joystiq guy used three paragraphs to bitch that there isn't skip button, when it was visible in all videos and some screenshots. :)

You play as Zack, who aspires to become the greatest pirate who ever lived.

Hi, I'm Zackbrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate.

I'm looking forward to this, it looks a lot like Zelda (Wind Waker), especially when you get an item.

For $39.99 I'm so getting this, still and with IGN talking about cel shading and wind waker graphics... I can't help but think "where's my Wiikami, Capcom!?" is there something wrong with me?

1up show made the most insightful comments, they said it was trial and error based much of the time. Make a mistake and you die and start again. wasting "hours" even. So sounds like it sucks if that is truely the gameplay

comments like that from 1up really insult me. It's like they are one of assholes that likes games to play for them

Hi, I'm Zackbrush Threepluffy and I want to be a pirate.

Fixed for great justice. I trust Chris Kholer a lot more than those idiots and he says the game rocks.

For $39.99 I'm so getting this, still and with IGN talking about cel shading and wind waker graphics... I can't help but think "where's my Wiikami, Capcom!?" is there something wrong with me?

Theres nothing wrong with you.. but something is wrong with Capcom!

Okami is perfect for Wii.. can't Capcom see that?! It would sell alot better! :heh:

This looks really great!

It's good that the game is challenging and the level design looks great too!

treasureislandz34.jpg

"You got a heart piece"

Oh no wait..... :nono:

I had a wee watch at the video there on IGN, and its looking mighty fine! I'll be keeping a closer eye on developments with this from now on.

Cel shading, oh yes.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm extremely happy with some of the recent Wii exclusives announced like Opoona, Dewy's Adventure, No More Heroes and now Treasure Island Z.

Some people always seem to be expecting more "regular" games like Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid, but quite frankly after over 25 years of regularly playing games and playing a lot of recycled themes and gameplay I definitely find myself much more attracted to these crazy/unusual/"quirky" concepts than the usual third person hack and slash action game, the typical first person space shooter or the usual annual edition of a soccer game.

For me a game like Opoona has quite incredible visuals, because of it's great and unusual graphical style, while some people only care about texture resolution and say it looks like crap. Damn, I'm getting old... :)

Treasure Island Z looks pretty interesting, and it's definitely on my "buy" list.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm extremely happy with some of the recent Wii exclusives announced like Opoona, Dewy's Adventure, No More Heroes and now Treasure Island Z.

Some people always seem to be expecting more "regular" games like Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid, but quite frankly after over 25 years of regularly playing games and playing a lot of recycled themes and gameplay I definitely find myself much more attracted to these crazy/unusual/"quirky" concepts than the usual third person hack and slash action game, the typical first person space shooter or the usual annual edition of a soccer game.

For me a game like Opoona has quite incredible visuals, because of it's great and usual graphical style, while some people only care about texture resolution and say it looks like crap. Damn, I'm getting old... :)

Treasure Island Z looks pretty interesting, and it's definitely on my "buy" list.

could not agree more. The whole point of the wii was to be different and have games that wern't on other systems but i get annoyed when people call for sequels. This game looks tough and the graphics look lovely. I don't mind cute games as long as they are challenging and don't insult your intelligence

This game just so wonderfully sumptious. It's like they translated a rich banna smoothie into game code. There's a good level of charm in the characters as well, which is always difficult to produce. Very much on my provisonal buy list.

Also, I'm appaled that an RE4 rehash is getting more attention then this, I really am.

For me a game like Opoona has quite incredible visuals, because of it's great and unusual graphical style, while some people only care about texture resolution and say it looks like crap. Damn, I'm getting old... :)

Agreed. Would still like DMC on wii though. Oh well.

Those of you who think this is a kiddy game and isn't good for the Wii, I can see your point. WTF is capcom doing? Releasing an origonal IP? This is the Wii; ports of old games and ultra-realism please!

Those of you who think this is a kiddy game and isn't good for the Wii, I can see your point. WTF is capcom doing? Releasing an origonal IP? This is the Wii; ports of old games and ultra-realism please!

haha i know what you mean. that's exactly the point is was trying to make. If you want realistic games then get a 360 and ps3 for gods sake.

Wow, I'm really looking forward to this one because:

- The style (Wind Waker watch out)

- The challenge (IGN says it's difficult!)

- Cool Wiimote usage

- Low price (Supposedly $40 in the US)

Hahahaha. Sir, you made me laugh. Well done to you.

Wallpaper.

New Preview : Treasure Island Z by Gamedaily

Project Treasure Island Z takes a vastly different approach than previous Capcom games, forcing gamers to logically solve puzzles instead of taking the usual platforming route. Designed specifically to utilize Nintendo's motion-sensitive Wii remote controller, players never lose the hands-on feeling.

Strangely enough, the game's plotline works similarly to the 1985 adventure film The Goonies (but no Sloth, sorry). Zack, game's hero, becomes obsessed with finding a lost treasure left behind by the much-feared pirate Barbaros. He boards a plane and sets out to find it with the help of a map and his yellow-colored musical monkey companion, Wiki. Shortly thereafter, the plane crashes but Zack, determined, refuses to let that stop him from completing his quest. During the journey, he encounters a series of traps that could lead to certain death, like a boulder running down a staircase or a spiked tomb with nasty suction power. Only with quick thinking and puzzle solving will Zack survive these perils and score the loot.

Capcom could have easily taken the platforming direction with Treasure Island Z. Instead, the developers decided to turn it into more of a puzzle-solving affair. Players move around a level, accessing certain items located within it. However, instead of using the D-pad, movement works by pointing an on-screen cursor to indicate where Zack should go and then pressing the A button. Once reaching a certain interactive item in the level, the screen changes to a first-person perspective. Here, players get a closer look at the puzzle. Once the player comes up with a solution, the game either allows them to progress or shows a short sequence where imminent death follows -- kind of like the classic Dragon's Lair arcade game. Despite the trial-and-error method, Treasure Hunter offers unlimited continues, so frustration should be minimal.

Capcom showed off three levels in the game. The first has Zack recovering items following the plane crash and then coming to a waterfall with no way to cross over to the other side. Upon shaking a tree (from the first-person perspective, pushing the Wii remote back and forth), a large centipede pops out. For combat, Wiki (who performs an annoying *DING* effect) changes into a large bell, which Zack can then swing to hit enemies. Once beaten, the Centipede transforms into a usable item, the Centisaw. Zack can equip this item and use it to cut down the tree. Players then perform a back-and-forth sawing motion (in first-person) with the Wii remote to chop it down and get across the waterfall. This section actually provides a bit of tension, thanks to a large piece of debris that threatens to crush Zack if it comes over the waterfall too late.

The second level features different Aztec-like statues, a couple of levers and boulders. In this one, Zack must stack three statue heads in a particular order, picking them up and placing them on top of each other with the Wii remote. One piece needed to be flipped over, forcing the player to actually twist the remote around to set it up correctly. From there, a crank falls to the ground. Zack can pick this up and heads over to a nearby lever box, making sure that the correctly shaped piece goes in. (If not, no worries – players simply flip it around with a simple hand jerk until the right piece comes into view.) Following that, players perform a circular motion with the remote to activate the lever, lowering the statues into the right position and proceeding after the treasure. One wrong move, however, and Zack gets crushed by the boulder.

I really do like the sound of this game... the only thing that worries me is re-playability... once you've completed the game, what to do after?!