NEurope
conzer16

St. Patrick's Day

To give you a little lesson on the history and culture of Ireland.

St. Patrick's Day (Paddy's Day) is the feast day which annually celebrates Saint Patrick (373-493), the patron saint of Ireland, on March 17. It is the Irish national holiday.

The St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin, Ireland is part of a five-day festival, over 500,000 people attended the 2006 parade. Ireland's cities all hold their own parades and festivals. These cities include Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Derry, Galway, Kilkenny, Limerick and Waterford. Parades also take place in other Irish towns and villages.

But who is this Patrick?

Well.....he was a Christian missionary and is regarded as the patron saint of Ireland along with Brigid of Kildare and Columba. Patrick was born in Britain (I think he was Welsh). When he was about sixteen he was captured by Irish raiders and taken as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. He entered the church, as his father and grandfather had before him, becoming a deacon and a bishop. He later returned to Ireland as a missionary, working in the north and west of the island. He lived from approx. 373 to 493 A.D.

The legend of Saint Patrick

Legend credits Patrick with banishing snakes from Ireland, although snakes are widely accepted to have never lived on the island of Ireland.

Legend also credits Patrick with teaching the Irish about the concept of the Trinity by showing people the shamrock, a 3-leaved clover, using it to highlight the Christian belief of 'three divine persons in the one God.

All info from Wikipedia

So now you all know about Paddy's Day, it's origins and who St. Patrick was.

I just have to ask everyone then, what are all our non-Irish members doing on Paddy's Day? Is it observed or even recognised in you country?

Do you all try to be a little bit Irish on March 17th or does it pass as a non-event for most of you?

I for one will attend my local parade and have a traditional Irish dinner at home with my family, then it will be onwards and outwards to as many pubs as possible for as much beer as possible!

I love being Irish :)

Yes one of the few days i can have beer.

But some people just think the irish are all about beer witch is not true.

Blame Guinness.

I all honesty I cant stand the drink, but anyone who creates another excuse to get absolutely trousered is quality in my eyes.

Yes one of the few days i can have beer.

Yeah it's not true. But it's one of our finest exports. Drink!

Guinness is the only beer that I still have, if it ain't Guinness, it's spirits. It's gonna be great cause Rileys in Manchester, and a few other places are going pints of Guinness for 1.20 on St. Patricks day. Get hammered for like 15 quid! Quality.

I'm getting trolleyd, in Norwich on Saturday anyway, because its my friends birthday. But as its St. Patricks Day i'll have a Guinness or 5.

Guinness is cheap as fuck (in some cases FREE) in a select few places in major cities on march 18th. That was one hell of a piss up in south kensington.

I did nothing on the 1st March, so there is even less reason for me to do anything on St Patrick's Day

I've never had a drink of Guinness, but I've been tempted so many times to have a pint of it.

Going to carry out that on Saturday I think in celebration, and wear green as well.

woo yeah. this year will be my first st. patrick's day as a uni student.

im hoping for a day that i should really remember but excessive alcohol consumption will not allow.

As it happens, I'm just meeting up with some mates back from uni down the pub on saturday, though it isn't actually because it's st. patrick's day. I'll probably wear something green and have some guiness though, just because. Really, it's just an excuse for us british to go out and get a little more wasted down the pubs.

I'll be celebrating my heritage on Saturday. Granted my Irish surname comes from ancestors about 150 years ago.. but y'know... there's enough Irish in me to raise a pint :heh:

I'll be celebrating my heritage on Saturday. Granted my Irish surname comes from ancestors about 150 years ago.. but y'know... there's enough Irish in me to raise a pint :heh:

And say Sláinte when you drink!

Pronounced - slawn-cha, it means to your health and is a toast much like cheers in English!

And say Sláinte when you drink!

Pronounced - slawn-cha, it means to your health and is a toast much like cheers in English!

Hehe cheers. I'll probs be boozing with my Irish housemate. Tog é bog é. (or however its spelt.. :heh:)

I'm not saying that St Patrick's Day is all about drinking, but it is part of it right?

Coming here from the thread, I would like to know, what are some good irish beers, other than guinness?

Er...isn't John Smiths supposed to be Irish? I really don't know actually, I think someone told me that once. I tried Murphy's in Ireland about 6 years ago, I think that's Irish, but you don't get it over here.

Well if you like stouts, there is Murphy's. Its from Cork and is very smooth. Some prefer it over Guinness. There is also one called Beamish. (personally not a big fan).

If Ales are your thing, then Smithwicks and Beamish Red are the 2 biggest ones.

If you're ever in Dublin though, pop along to the Porterhouse where they have 3 different stouts that they brew themselves and various ales too.