NEurope
Cube

Jack Thompson makes a fool of himself....again

Well the only difference I know of is that at the movies you have a 12a and a 15a.

Both though have a u, pg, 12, 15, and a 18 rating. I also think it would stop the arguement that parents make about "We didn't realise that this 16+ game was unsuitable to 12 year old Timmy".

Different boards who would have (justifiably) different criteria. Parents don't even listen to film ratings. Many people just blame the parents but the kids are just as bad. When tidying my room I found Mortal Kombat on the SNES. I was only old enough to buy that game two years ago, and I'd imagine its about 10 years old.

At the end of the day the media does not have a direct affect upon people. Film and game ratings are just a backup. Film certification were created by film makers at the end of the day.

i had to laugh but remember the story of a killing where the murderer practiced on doom beforehand? Thompson keeps refering to that. cmon like DOOM:)

i had to laugh but remember the story of a killing where the murderer practiced on doom beforehand? Thompson keeps refering to that. cmon like DOOM:)

Remember when Manhunt was linked to a murder because the victim played it?

.....er yes i do.. it don't get it..Point is that there is a HUGE difference between doom and manhunt. you are fighting monsters in doom for gods sake and you can't even use the mouse..i don't see how shooting a gun works like a keyboard

I am far more likely to want to kill something after listening to Jack Thompson harp on about 'violent computer games' than actually playing one. ****.

Isn't this all about america though?

I mean its all well and good for most of us in europe to say game ratings are enforced, I still remember getting knocked back for perfect dark.

Ol jack though is talking about the USA and I remember one of his gay rants mentioning the UK for having a system the US should imitate.

I don't know what the difference is between US and UK but I think it is a bit more relaxed over there with local authorities deciding if ratings should be enforced legally.

If anybodys got some clarification I would like to hear it as it's been bugging me since this guys warped views first hit the net.

This is ridiculous. He tries to blame the industry when in fact it's the parents and shops fault.

There's an ongoing debate in Germany about "killer games" as they like to call them. So someone runs amok and they look at what games he was playing, normally they did find things like Counter Strike but once they only found Final Fantasy VII. With brilliant logic they concluded FF7 is a killer game.

German politicians and Thompson have one thing in common it seems. They don't want to tackle the actual problem but much rather critizise a minority that should not be held responsible. After all the developers are not in the shop selling the games to kids and the developers aren't the parents either who buy a game that is not suitable for the kid only because the child gets on their nerves.

Different boards who would have (justifiably) different criteria. Parents don't even listen to film ratings. Many people just blame the parents but the kids are just as bad. When tidying my room I found Mortal Kombat on the SNES. I was only old enough to buy that game two years ago, and I'd imagine its about 10 years old.

At the end of the day the media does not have a direct affect upon people. Film and game ratings are just a backup. Film certification were created by film makers at the end of the day.

What I meant was although game ratings, are legal(?) they don't seem as effective as putting a U,PG,12,15,18 on the gamebox it wouln't sort out the problem totally but I generally believe it would be easier for some parents to understand.

E.g. If you have a pegi 7+ and 11+ game and both have the violence symbol on. Little Timmy is 8 so hes allowed to play the 7+ game but the 11+ the parent would probably say its ok.

However if we had the bbfc ratings it would probably mean hat one would be a pg and the other a 12 so at least it gives them one less excuse to blame games.

As much as I dislike this man and what he stands for, I really glad he's around.

Heis a attention seeking idiot, imagine if someone with half a brain tried to do the same thing he's trying to. They might even succeed. While Jack thomson is around no self respecting lawer will want to associate himself with video game legistlation. So really he's helping us b discrediting his own case by being a complete muppet.

Games Developers Make Games

A Games Rating Company Rates Games

Parents / Guardians should be responsable in what their children play

only in america.. so far... they should bann some of those stupid shows on TV instead... im far more likely to go out and kill someone after catching a glimpse of any odd reality show.. or american sitcoms with canned laughter

Mind you Jack got called in the manhunt case over here, forgetting to do his his research again.

:laughing:

You know...by now, surely Jack Thompson is just plainly advertising Rockstar's products...why does he not realise?

You know...by now, surely Jack Thompson is just plainly advertising Rockstar's products...why does he not realise?

I don't think Rockstar are complaining! They create violent games, they know that. So, to hear that there games are called ultraviolent, etc. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

The guy is a laugh just like Mary Whitehouse was for years over here and the likes of the Catholic Church are when they attack Harry Potter books. :grin:

At the same time though I'd still like to see a bit more variety from Rockstar.

Thug-based games or table tennis. Hardly stretching the creativity boundry under the label name.