NEurope
Cube

Jack Thompson makes a fool of himself....again

So, Jack Thompson hates violent games, and hares Rockstar.

His latest objective: "prevent the sale of two hyperviolent video games set to be released this year and sold to anyone under 17 years of age."

Well, first of all, it technically will be illigal (if they even are hyperviolent games) to sell the games to anyone under 17.

Secondly, we don't even know how violent the games will be - we don't even know a thing about GTAIV yet.

The United States Federal Trade Commission has recently found by its own stings on stores that despite the "Mature" rating on video games, they are still sold 42% of the time to kids under 17. Take-Two aggressively markets its "Mature" games to children, as it was caught this past year placing Grand Theft Auto ads on public transport in major US metropolitan areas despite promises by the industry to stop that practice after Columbine. Take-Two also runs ads for its "Mature" games in video game publications purchased by hundreds of thousands of kids under 17.

1) Take-Two don't allow sale of games to kids

2) IIRC, R-Rated films and Albums with "Explicit lyrics" can still be advertised in the places they mentioned, so whats so wrong with someone advertising a game there?

3) Video game publications have reviws of the darn game, and the magazines are bought by adults.

Thompson will thus use, successfully, existing nuisance laws to stop the distribution of Manhunt 2 and Grand Theft Auto IV to anyone under 17.

Er..It has an M-Rating, therefore exsisting laws sould do that without any og his input.

Now Take-Two is set to sell to children a simulator showing them how to castrate their foes.

It has an M-Rating, plus I doubt it will show in detail how exactly to do it. The most you'll see is the "action" with a camera angle so the player or victim's body is blocking the view of what is happening. Plus, Take-Two put an M-Rating on the game, and, by law, thats all they have to do to freely market the game.

Jack Thompson, you're focusing on the wrong people, it's resellers and stores that are the problem, not Take-Two or Rockstar.

edit:

link

I thought California withdrew is attorneyship license for being stupid? Oh well. He's not getting anything done by this. He's just plain entertainment for us really.

haha didn't he try to sue rockstar before? This guy is a holy joke. for an attorney he is a horrible debater

Don't forget the florida Bar council has sued himover slander and other stuff, i think everyone should get his brain banned from him mouth, or the general public.

Now the thing is wouldn't it be easier if game ratings were linked to film ratings, so it would have some more authority.

Nintendo should send him a DS lite and a copy of Brain Training.

Thats quite a good idea Zeldafreak, I never thought of that.

Thank you I do have my moments

Thank you I do have my moments

yes that would be a cool idea but aren;t they both different companies or whatever plus movie ratings can be like 15pg etc for the cinema...Now how the hell would that work with games... I think the dvd ratings are the exact same as games

yes that would be a cool idea but aren;t they both different companies or whatever plus movie ratings can be like 15pg etc for the cinema...Now how the hell would that work with games... I think the dvd ratings are the exact same as games

Yeah. In this country the BBFC rate films and the VSC or PEGI rate games (why theres two I dunno). Unless they joined forces all Wondertwins style it wouldn't happen.

Well the only difference I know of is that at the movies you have a 12a and a 15a.

Both though have a u, pg, 12, 15, and a 18 rating. I also think it would stop the arguement that parents make about "We didn't realise that this 16+ game was unsuitable to 12 year old Timmy".

Nintendo should send him a DS lite and a copy of Brain Training.

Haha, I remember when they did that to Bush. They should send him a Wii this year.

He's bringing this up again...

The ratings are there for a reason,it's not the developers fault if children under age buy the game.

Neverless we can get some humour out of this.

Well if some games like GoW are rated by the bbfc and also pegi, they need to stop pegi and just get games rated by the bbfc.

Well if some games like GoW are rated by the bbfc and also pegi, they need to stop pegi and just get games rated by the bbfc.

Yea, instead of using multiple systems, they should stick to BBFC, like MGS:TTS, TimeSplitters: FP and Resi Evil 4 were on the GameCube.

edit: And than you have Splinter Cell Double Agent on GameCube. Box is PEGI rating 18+, but both disks have the BBFC rating 15.

At least the PEGI logos look more...meaningful than the ELPSA ones did.

What an absolute load of bollocks once again. This guys a chump who doesn't have a clue. He's shown time and again. Does anyone take him seriously? Or do people let him talk just to have a laugh?

To me, this is the same sort of stuff as people who have a go at MacDonalds saying it's why everyones fat. No! People are fucking retards, this is what's wrong with the world. Let the few people on this planet that actually have brains enjoy life for fuck sake.

I think he just wants abit of attention.

He's no Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney, thats for sure.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, isn't directly backing Thompson measures, he did however signed legislation to outlaw the sale to teenagers of electronic games featuring reckless mayhem and explicit sexuality.

Hillary Clinton is on the same boat on that. As well as many other politicos.

So it isn't just Jack Thompson... I know many like to paint him as our main nemesis... but to me and many others, he's just a moron with little power or influence.

I'm sorry but what? Schwarzenegger has been in countless mindless violence films, and yet he does this for votes?

As for Hillary? Meh, shes a bitch anyway.

I'm sorry but what? Schwarzenegger has been in countless mindless violence films, and yet he does this for votes?

Yeah, well... don't say you don't expect that from any other politician. That's politics for ya!

1st in!!

objection.jpg

objection.gif

objection.jpg

5c3e7da7805771aa8c1cce4419c40f9a.jpg

:wtf: Advertising in public is directly & aggressivly targeting children now? :wtf:

Maybe once they start advertising on Nick Jr.'s the time to get worried.

I got stopped buying a Tony Hawk Pro Skater gamea couple of years ago because I couldn't prove I was old enough to buy it; I had to go back with my passport to buy it >_>

Perhaps adverts should have a more prominent certificate on them, but really, theres no problem right now. Hells theres not even proof there is a link between games and violence, and wasn't there a study recently which suggested it could be the other way around? (i.e, kids are less violent because they get their frustration out while playing).

Just kill them all!!

Or as Cliff Burton would say, "Just Kill 'Em All, ya know?" :heh:

Lawsuit to Be Filed to Stop Sale of Two Murder Simulation Games to Kids

How the fuck are they "murder simulation games"? And they aren't even trying to sell them to kids.

Jack Thompson needs a damn good slapping.