NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Oxigen_Waste

One Album. One Movie. One Book.

State your absolute favourite book, movie and album, and explain why. Only ONE!

The book: The picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. For it's Faustian braveness in dealing with superficiality and explendid crafting. Bravo.

The movie: One flew over the cuckoo's nest. A perfect work. Flawless. The way every single detail seem to fit, like a puzzle. It still dazzles me to this day. So far, my all-time favourite movie.

The album: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven. I'm a sucker for post-rock. This record is the epitome of post-rock. It's perfection in a record. I've listen to this at least once every weak since the first time I've heard it, wich was 2 years ago. A record I'm proud to say I own.

Book: Prey by Michael Crichton

Movie: Serenity

Album: A Matter of Life and Death - Iron Maiden

Book: None cos erm I dont really read books.

Movie: The Goonies. Childhood favourite and is still a great film to this day.

Album: Too tough for me to pick, can we have fav 50? ermm ok ill go with Oasis - Definitely Maybe cos that was the first CD I ever got and I guess what first got me into music.

Book: Custom PC Magazine. (as near as i get to reading)

Movie: Toy Story

Album: Best of Belle and Sabastian

Book: red Dwarf: Omnibus the only one I've read.

Movie: Serenity

Album: Origin of Symmetry - Muse

Book: Don't really read much, so I can't say

Movie: Sin City

Album: Mutter - Rammstein

Book: hmm...Eldest probably, so much happens in it, twists, turns etc and leads up to the next book

Movie: 3rd lord of the rings, simply epic and ending a great saga

Album: Pushing the senses - feeder, simply because it has every type of music on it, slow, fast etc

Book: Life of Pi

Movie: My Neighbour Totoro

Album: Coheed and Cambria, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV

Movie: The Warriors

Album: Reign in Blood - Slayer

Book: Armageddon: The B Movie by Robert Rankin.

Reasons: Cos I like them and thats the frame of mind I am in right now.

Ask the question next week and it could well be a different answer.

Book: Artemis Fowl, (the 1st).

Movie: Snakes on a Plane

Album: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Book: River God - Wilbur Smith. I've always loved Ancient Egypt, this is such a great story.

Movie: Independence Day. I love so many of these epic films that I can't really decide. The President's speech in this is so good though so it has to clinch it.

Album: The Joshua Tree - U2.

Book: Black hawk Down. (yet to finish though)

Movie: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, just pure funny.

Album: Hot Hot Heat - Elevator, only because 'Goodnight Goodnight' is on it.

Just one from each? That's asking too much (or too little, depending on which way you look at it)

Just one from each? That's asking too much (or too little, depending on which way you look at it)

you can do it... C'mon. At least try. :D

I'm amazed at the amount of people who don't "read".

Book: Halo Fall of Reach (not famous but nonetheless brilliant)

Film: The Shawshank Redemption

Album: Origin Of Symmetry-Muse (Wahey, harribo!)

One Album: Blinking Lights and Other Revelations (EELS). Okay, you made me doubt here. It might just be Dead Man Ray, but you don't know the soddy bastards anyway - so I'lls tick the one you can find on the web. if you're willing, find some music of Dead Man Ray - they're dead good. I love this album, though, because it's so about life and much less about love. Wich, in these times, is so rare. it takes some great songs, lyrics and concepts to the drawing board and comes back with an entire big picture of the society today. And I know the lyrics by heart now.

One Movie: American Beauty - didn't see this one coming uh? Runners up would be About a Boy and Hitch (simply because I love the confidence in the film). American Beauty is so good - it's such an portayed film. It's the regular life, it's the simplicity yet the complexity. It's much deeper than it looks at first sight - and it's simply beautifull.

One Book: De LinkerBorst van Aphrodite (The left boob of Aphrodite) - probably a book you don't know - it's Dutch, you silly bastards - in wich the writer becomes the main character of the story. He wants to be like the character he invented in his books and rolls into a scheme set up by malicious people and ends up being the good guy - the hero in the end. About a writer that becomes what he wants. Runner-up: Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter (all of them are finely written) and about all books by Isaac Asimov. Lovely writer, that one.

Movie: Gah! I LOVE loads of films. So many have really touched me deeply. I'll go with Forrest Gump.

Album: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds. First album I ever bought. I love it. It's so atmospheric at times it gives me the chills.

Book: Probably War of the Worlds again. One of the earliest sci fi's ever written and still the best. It managed to pioneer the invasion genre and talked about lasers, biological warfare, mustard gas, interstellar travel, manned flight and many, many other things years before they were invented.

Book: Halo Fall of Reach (not famous but nonetheless brilliant)

Film: The Shawshank Redemption

Album: Origin Of Symmetry-Muse (Wahey, harribo!)

Wahey the both of you. That album is brilliant.

By the way, Shawshank redemption is GOD.

One Album: Muse - Origin of Symetry

One Movie: Tokyo Story

One Book: I am Legend - Richard Matheson

Wahey the both of you. That album is brilliant.

By the way, Shawshank redemption is GOD.

OoS-tell me about it! Best Muse album definately.

Shawshank-yeah, great movie. Brilliant ending too.

Book: The Diary of Adrian Mole Series.

Film: Sin City.

Album: Cauterize: So Far From Real.

you can do it... C'mon. At least try. :D

I'm amazed at the amount of people who don't "read".

Alright, I'll give it a go;

Book: His Dark Materials. Ok, many think of this as a childrens book in league with Harry Potter and LOTR, but trust me on this one, you are either misinformed or haven't read it, and as for comparing it to those pieces of nonsensical, poorly written drivel; it makes me sick to say the least. One of the great pieces of contemporary literature in my opinion, and nothing else has managed to coax such a strong emotional response from me. Notable mentions go to: Catcher In The Rye, Paradise Lost.

Movie: I'm no movie buff, so my tastes aren't going to be as cultured as some, but I've always loved the Back To The Future trilogy so much. Just great, lighthearted storytelling, involving my favourite theme: time travel :). Other notable mentions go to The Matrix, for being the single movie that I've watched the most (about 27 times on last count), Gladiator, and at the moment, I'm feeling the love for Blood Diamond.

Album: This is too hard, I cannot possibly single out one album, so I'll instead leave you with a little list. I'm not going to give any reasons either, because if I get started, it's going to drag on for a couple of pages.

Yasunori Mitsuda - His Entire Discography is stunning beyond words.

Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing

Slayer - Reign In Blood

....Is this starting to sound generic? :heh:

Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder

In Flames - Colony/ Whoracle

....aaaargh, the list goes on...I'll stop now...

Book: David Eddings - The Belgariad

Movie: Seven Samurai

Album: L'arc en ciel - Awake

....Is this starting to sound generic? :heh:

Definately not! I'm worse believe me. Generic is my middle name. Along with handsome and clever.

Sign in to follow this