NEurope
Guest Jordan

Miyamato GDC Keynote 18:30 GMT - Something on the cards tonight from Shigsy?

What the hell is Playstation Home? Can someone fill me in quickly please?

Its basically like a second life type think...this realistic animal crossing. Basically.

Yeah, except the ridiculously rip-off on nearly every part of the hardware, the PS3 is shaping up quite nicely :smile:

Typical, I wont be able to get online from about 6:30 today until sometime tomorrow :indeed: oh well, it's more than likely to be nothing anyway.

As for shigs keynote, remember the news a few days back that nintendo might not be able to announce anything new due to a stock issue. I hope thats wrong.

They've announced some release dates (for US), as well as new information/screenshots/playable versions of Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers and Brain Academy. I just think it means no announcements of brand new products. (We've got plenty of announced games from Nintendo anyway)

Not for pal territories though.

What do you mean by that?

Ok well upon reading up on it, PS3 Home looks and sounds amazing.

Suddenly, understandably, Nintendo Mii's don't.

Playstation home is a cross between animal crossing, Mii's and Xbox 360 achievements. But does sound really good. I would not be surprised is Nintendo unveiled something similer.

As for shigs keynote, remember the news a few days back that nintendo might not be able to announce anything new due to a stock issue. I hope thats wrong.

yeah here's hoping we have a direct development of the mii channel in to something more fleshed out...

Let's not forget the stock buyout that Nintendo handily planned in the coming period. This'll basically restrain them from saying anything that'll raise their stock price - it'll stop them from saying good stuff.

Basically, expect nothing.

Wait, he said that right after he mentioned Wii Sports. Motor Sports?

Let's not forget the stock buyout that Nintendo handily planned in the coming period. This'll basically restrain them from saying anything that'll raise their stock price - it'll stop them from saying good stuff.

Basically, expect nothing.

Yeah, this'll probably be nothing important.

Thing is though, by saying anything at all, won't that affect their stock price in some way? Example, if they give a poor show, won't prices go down, etc.

Wouldn't it just be best not to say anything at all?!

Thing is though, by saying anything at all, won't that affect their stock price in some way?

Well, they've alreasd said new stuff about existing projects, so I'ts likely that the stock change just affects Nintendo from telling us about new projects.

I would guess that Nintendo can still tell us new information about games they've already announced.

I think by keeping completely quiet about unannounced stuff they can have neither positive nor negative about it so the stock price won't change, whereas if they did announce stuff it could have a negative impact if people aren't so impressed it is odd...

Well, they've alreasd said new stuff about existing projects, so I'ts likely that the stock change just affects Nintendo from telling us about new projects.

I would guess that Nintendo can still tell us new information about games they've already announced.

Hmm, ok. So, they can still give info on current games that have already been announced. But, does this mean we won't hear anything at all about online functions of games, even though these games might exist already? Seeing as online could be considered a seperate entity.

Gah, what a mess.

Thing is though, by saying anything at all, won't that affect their stock price in some way? Example, if they give a poor show, won't prices go down, etc.

Wouldn't it just be best not to say anything at all?!

Well, he isn't putting on a show for public, he's talking to developers — no Hylian shield or on stage conducting today. I don't see why his talking to the industry about his design philosophy games should affect their stock unless it was a big announcement, which wasn't likely to happen in any case.

But if people really are desperate to hype themselves up for disappointment, it seems the price for Nintendo's stock has been set for the purchase, so Miyamoto can speak about whatever he wants.

At the most I can see a new Channel being shown, possibly something related to original downloadable content. But I'm not really basing this on much, it's mainly just wishful thinking.

I wish I could help it, but it always happens, it's what we fanboys do best, my hype has just shot up.

Meh, I'd rather be hyped and then be let down than be negative the whole time, because the feeling of being excited is nice.

Stock change just limits announcements that really affect company's value. For example, telling about release dates and or showing new 1st party game doesn't really change value that much. If Shigsy would, for other hand, tell about how Wii's price is going to drop to 99 dollars or that Nintendo is going to merge with Sony, that would seriously affect on company's value.

And wouldn't it be funny if Nintendo wanted to release something like sony's Home - who would be copying who.

Well, seeing as though PS Home is a mix of IMVU, The Sims, Animal Crossing, Miis, MMORPGs; then if Nintendo did something similar, they wouldn't be copying Sony at all.

PS Home is just a mix between other things y'know, like the PS3 itself is.

You know what isn't really a mix between things though? The SIXAXIS' R2 & L2:indeed:

Well, it's not like you can come up with this stuff overnight. If Nintendo were to show something similar to Sony home (in terms of videos and demonstrations actually showing it), then it wouldn't really prove who copied who. Like I said, a lot of effort has gone into Sony home, so it's not like Nintendo can quickly create something like it in such a short space of time. :heh:

1 hour 20 minutes until Shigsy starts his speech. :) Haven't been this excited for a conference since the day I found out how much the Wii would cost. Yeah, that wasn't a good day price wise for me. I only just paid off my Wii debt this week.

The fanboy inside me has faith in Shiggers to steal Sony's PS Home thunder.

I'm not expecting anything, so if something does turn up, then we'll be pleasently surprised.

But nah, best to contain your excitement.