NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Lillster

Advice on starting an online business

[To the people who doubt I have the ability to run a business of any sort]

You are probably right, I don't have the skills to start my own business (maybe I never will), but i'm certainly not going to just give up because things get tough.

I know one entrepreneur who worked his ass off for 5 years, and he still hasn't really got anywhere, so I know the risks.

My idea is very risky, but at least I can do the first part with low funds.

...which is?

I don't really want to tell you my idea, because you would probably think it is stupid and impossible, but if you must know, the first step would involve building up an online community, but I don't know what I want my website to be about yet, In other words I don't know what I want to sell yet, but I have contemplated selling gardening stuff or maybe selling something that isn't that popular but has the possibility to be popular later on.

Is this what you mean by 'my idea'? As in what i'm going to sell, and how i;m going to do it?

Just out of curiosity (i'm not trying to be rude) how do you know what it takes to build a business? The way you told me to not bother, seemed like you have done this before?

Btw, I'm not planning on starting up my own business to get rich (although that would be nice :D) The main reason why I want to do it is because I want to be my own boss.

We don't doubt your abilities, but even if Bill Gates came here saying that he wants to build a business without what he wants to sell, we would be pretty skeptic too.

We don't doubt your abilities, but even if Bill Gates came here saying that he wants to build a business without what he wants to sell, we would be pretty skeptic too.

That is true, but the reason why I posted this topic was to get an idea of what kind of skills I might need.

It's mainly business training that i'm looking into.

Learn Direct do a business course, so I might look into that.

If anyone knows of any other training options(besides going to uni), I would very much appreciate that.

I don't doubt you have the ability to succeed, it's just that you don't seem to know what you're doing yet. The first stage towards setting up a business is to have a clear idea of what you want to do. Start worrying about how you're going to do it later.

You're right though, I don't have much experience of this myself so perhaps I shouldn't be trying to give advice.

Everyone has the ability to succeed with stuff like this, you just have to stick to it. See what kind of stuff is getting more popular days, do some market research.

Hello,

I am a web designer intrested in starting my own internet business.

I have been intrested in doing this for awhile now, and i'm just wandering if anyone here could offer me advice/ point me in the right direction?

Some advice: don't bother.

Some question: Why?

Don't listen to him, he's a complete ass. I think you should go and think this over very carefully and give us some broader detail about what kind of business you think you would like to run, because the skills you need could end up being very specific.

Sign in to follow this