NEurope
Stocka

Tales of Symphonia Official Thread

Ah right, I obviously noticed the faster movement- and took advantage of it. :) For some reason I thought that might have been the result of the Ex Gem I put on Sheena the night before. I was expecting some fancy new moves or something to start unlocking for Lloyd. :heh:

I wasn't gonna play any Symphonia tonight but I might stick it on now. I wanna reach Tethe'alla and if I continue with this playthrough, I'm gonna have to check an FAQ cos I wanna find that ballroom shindig that Mokong is always talking about!

If you want to do the ballroom shindig you need to have Zelos in your party, I.e not choose Kratos over him, and you have to make a visit to theth'alla castle I think before going to Derris Kharlan a second time (final battle and all that Jazz). Memory is fuzzy on that one.

As for unlocking new moves for Lloyd or anyone for that matter, according to the type of ex gem you set they will get different moves. Going to edit this post later on to give the gems you need to set for Lloyd's 32 hit+ combo.

Edit:

Ex gems are lv 3 Add Combo

lv 4 Ability Plus

I will post the combo string later.

Edited by Ten10

Thanks for the details, Ten10. I played a bit more there now- making quick progress through the Renegade's base in Sylvarant, nicking the Rheairds and flipping over to Tethe'alla, there adding Presea and Zelos to my party but losing Sheena. My battle line-up for now is Lloyd, Zelos, Presea and Raine for healing. I spent little time in Meltokio due to the increased running speed as well as not bothering to speak to everyone this time round. I basically just hit the shops then went to the King, lol. Its nice to be over in Tethe'alla again because there's a definite contrast between it and Sylvarant.

PS Anyone know offhand the next time I'll come across somewhere I can buy ingredients for cooking?

Off the top of my head I think you can get some at that academy inside its kitchen. Can't remember for sure. I'm still stuck in Sylvarant and I'm not sure how far ahead everyone else it but I think I'll only make it as far as Luin for today.

Edit:

as for the combo it is dependent on how large your enemy is.

The 32 hit tree is as follows:

Basic strike attack --> tiger blade --> sword rain --> sonic sword rain --> raining tiger blade

For larger enemies sub tiger blade for tempest. The method doesn't work so well on smaller enemies as tempest often results in you flying over your enemy unless you are at the edge of the battle field.

So there you go my biggest tales secret given away. Make good use of this to rack up some big combos.

[i could be wrong about sword rain into the sonic version in which case do sword rain first into the tiger blade. I think that attack tree I posted works however as sonic sword rain is considered to be from the sonic thrust attack tree.]

Edited by Ten10

Basic strike attack --> tiger blade --> sword rain --> sonic sword rain --> raining tiger blade

I thought the largest combo was as follows (for non giant enemies):

Basic combo --> sword rain --> tiger blade --> sword rain alpha --> raining tiger blade

Also, you're I'm fairly suer you are right about doing tiger blade after the first sword rain as Sonic sword rain is on the sword rain tree - super sonic thrust is the level 2 move for that line.

So yeah, I started playing this again the other day. I've one completed save on my memory card and then one where I'm breaking the Tethe'alla seals.

I decided to start again and just got to the part where Lloyd was captured by the Renegades. Still lots of fun, but the battle speed doesn't feel quite as fast paced as I remember it being.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I played this most of the weekend just gone and am now about to cross the Grand Tethe'alla Bridge for the first time.

I took the normal route (as oppose to the hard one) for the seal release and got the Efreet summon before heading to Tethe'alla. Whilst they haven't been posing a real threat, except a couple of bosses, I was wondering why the enemies were taking so long to defeat. I haven't been using any equipment you can't pick up along the way (in other words, I've done no shopping for equipment, only items) but it turns out I was on Hard battle rank. I've left it as that for now but I'm sure, as always, that the fight against Yuan and Botta in the Tethe'alla Base will be a pain in the backside - I always seem to struggle with that one.

I also took the time to watch the OVAs again yesterday... well three of them anyway. I've watched the first last Sunday and although I originally intended to watch just the one, I got drawn in.

A bit late, but I joined in on the fun, purely to refresh my mind on the story, as I won't be using the savefile transfer. Started with a clean slate too, deleted all my previous savefiles, allthough I'm not exactly doing anything different this time around, letting my characters learn the same (default) techs for example, and I'll definitely go for either Sheena or Raine again as my soulmate ;). Maybe I'll change some things around later in the game, learn some different techs, those technical swordrains for Lloyd sound rather good. Just defeated the first sword dancer, who was still giving me some trouble even with Lloyd on level 20, but I got him with everyone alive. Now I'll have a look at Gamefaqs to decide if I'll go to Palmacosta or take the landroute, I can't remember all the differences. You get to see Luin, and Sheena joins your party earlier I believe (always a good thing ;), but can't remember any real disadvantages.

I thought the largest combo was as follows (for non giant enemies):

Basic combo --> sword rain --> tiger blade --> sword rain alpha --> raining tiger blade

Also, you're I'm fairly suer you are right about doing tiger blade after the first sword rain as Sonic sword rain is on the sword rain tree - super sonic thrust is the level 2 move for that line.

So yeah, I started playing this again the other day. I've one completed save on my memory card and then one where I'm breaking the Tethe'alla seals.

I decided to start again and just got to the part where Lloyd was captured by the Renegades. Still lots of fun, but the battle speed doesn't feel quite as fast paced as I remember it being.

Hmm but if I recall correctly that involves taking Lloyd to T type and killing the sword rain alpha combo early because of the rising sword, so the number of hits can vary. Also I don't have a value from doing sword rain into tempest. But I've seen the SRA method quoted as being 33 hits.

Haven't been doing much TOS because I've finally managed to get my hands on twilight princess and just discovering what I've been missing for the past 3 years.

I've tried not to lag behind, but... I've been so busy, I'm still in Palmacosta (about to thrash Magnius' ranch).

Truth be told, I did spend a long time battling wild monsters whenever possible (much like the first time I played) because of Mania Mode.

Also, Sword Dancer is HARD :o

Also, Sword Dancer is HARD :o

I always leave the Sword Dancer until I'm on my way to the Tower of Salvation. Collete will know Angel Feathers and Raine knows Photon by that point and you'll have far better equipment to face it than when you first pass the Ossa Trail.

I've not been finding much time to play during the week (perhaps that should be any time) so apart from the weekends, it's difficult to get some ToS action in.

I played it last night and am at the Temple of Earth but I can't see me completing this play through before Dawn of the New World's release on Friday.

Hmm but if I recall correctly that involves taking Lloyd to T type and killing the sword rain alpha combo early because of the rising sword, so the number of hits can vary. Also I don't have a value from doing sword rain into tempest. But I've seen the SRA method quoted as being 33 hits.

It does require Lloyd going down the T route, but apart from Demon Fang, Sonic Thrust and Beast, I prefer to take him that way as it makes him more combo friendly. And since I never use DM or ST anyway after I've got some decent moves, it works out better.

I always leave the Sword Dancer until I'm on my way to the Tower of Salvation. Collete will know Angel Feathers and Raine knows Photon by that point and you'll have far better equipment to face it than when you first pass the Ossa Trail.

Well, I wasn't sure exactly when he would disappear. Still, he's done with (until I reach Gaoracchia Forest, that is)

Bringing this topic back from the dead to say. Tales of Symphonia OVA Thethe'alla Episode 1.

Is DROPPING IN 20 DAYS

That's right launching on the 25th March Tales ova 5 will be released.

Well since I promised Mokong about 3 years ago now, it might be nice if I did a refresh. It doesn't seem like their providing any on the official website like they did with OVA one. So I'll try to make one for at least 4 characters, and post them up.

Ah, good news, unfortunately I won't have the money to buy it immediately. Seeing as the "collector's" edition is still available, I'm not really worried I'm going to miss them, so I'll buy 'm later. They'll be an exception though, I actually intend not to buy any DVD's anymore unless they're not available on blu-ray.

I'll (temporarily) join in on the ToS signature fun, the last time there were quite a few members who had 'm I believe? Maybe I'll make my own if there isn't an official one. I'll maike one of Raine, or perhaps I'll do something original. Ah yes idea get!

Well since I promised Mokong about 3 years ago now, it might be nice if I did a refresh. It doesn't seem like their providing any on the official website like they did with OVA one. So I'll try to make one for at least 4 characters, and post them up.

I'll lay a claim to a Presea one then. :D

So the ova is out today. And..... I haven't done the banners yet. The problem is that created them in a CS3 version of some software and on my new laptop I upgraded to a CS4 version. Lets just say major issues.

So instead of some left 4 dead 2 tonight, I'm gonna get them sorted.

It's probably for the best as now there should be more artwork flying around.

The dvd's are out in Japan today, so assume it'll be a few days till it is "out" for us to watch?

Lloyd or Lloyd & Sheena together for me would be WIN :D

Just seen the Tethe'Alla OVA.

It's actually pretty good. I'm glad they decided to change several things, even if they aren't actually trying to keep any of the twists secret.

And Regal=Awesome :grin: On that subject, I never quite understood why he's the least popular character. He's badass, and one of the most fun characters to play with.

Just been watching the new OVA, bloody AWESOME,

Though not liking much the narration intro how they seem to be portarying Lloyds interest in Collete. And also note liking the interactions between Sheena and Zelos... haha... seriously Collete should be no more than a sister figure to Lloyd and Sheena be his love interest.

Loved the intro for Zelos and Regal... at first I was thinking, damn Zelos is pretty badass here, then Regal shows up and kicks his ass... shame Regal didn't reapper through the ep though.

Interesting how they changed a few things like where they landed and meeting Presea at Altessa's house, though I guess it's all to condense the massive story down (though I do wish they had choosen to give it a full on 23 ep series treatment, but I guess I can live with 8 OVA's instead of none.

Seeing Kratos appear in the mines was surprising, I was thinking it might be Regal, but loved the fight scene with him and Lloyd, though I'd like to see more techs used.

And interesting how they ended the ep with Zelos, I wonder will they have him take the full on traitor route or will he turn good?

I'm hating the Colette/Lloyd thing too. Clearly it's not right. Just goes to show the OVAs aren't cannon :heh:

I was surprised at the ending right enough. Was pretty cool though.

I always saw Lloyd and Colette together. There just seemed to be a stronger bond between the two.

Also, what I really liked about the OVA is the fact that the plot seems to be open to new directions. I wonder if they'll change anything.

I always saw Lloyd and Colette together. There just seemed to be a stronger bond between the two.

I suppose this is subjective, but from my first playthrough, I always thought their relation was more forced than anything. (Although I may be biased, being a Sheena fan and all)

I wish they'd done the Tales of Symphonia animation as films instead of OVAs like they're doing the Vesperia anime. Would have worked better I think since I hate the gaps between episodes.

God forbid they animate Dawn of the New World after this Tethe'alla arc...