NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nextgengames

oh and the PS2 was a failure...

Yeah apprantly -

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000120063586/

Marketing hype often sounds ridiculous when examined in retrospect. I’m finally getting around to reading Dean Takahashi’s Opening the Xbox (tip: buy it used on Amazon). In it, Sony’s Chief Marketing Officer and Group Executive Andrew House is quoted as saying around 2000: “Our goals are much different from our competition’s. We’re trying to reach a broader audience. If [the PS2] is just a game console, then we’ve failed.â€

Five years later, even Sony would find it difficult to argue that the PS2 is perceived as anything but a game console. By this measure, Sony has failed.

Of course we can’t fault the marketing guys for making the outlandish claims that they make. It’s their job.

What’s more, this is a now-familiar refrain for Sony. In March of this year, Kaz Hirai told attendees at the PSP launch party: “If someone told you that the PSP is a portable gaming device, shoot these people. The PSP is not a portable gaming device, it is really a convergent portable entertainment device.â€

To be fair, it’s not just Sony that makes these claims. Microsoft is selling the Xbox 360 as a necessary part of the so-called digital entertainment lifestyle, an idea that The Economist magazine has denounced as “marketing claptrap.†It’s clear that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo want to sell their next-generation consoles into more homes, but it’s also clear that they’ve been trying to do this for years, with limited success.

We guarantee that each of the console manufacturers will continue to beat the “this is not a game console†drum loudly over the next year as they launch their new game devices. Will any of them succeed at capturing the mass market this time around?

Erm.

No?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

If one were to ask me, saying that an item fails in a certain criteria and calling it a failure are two completely different perceptions.

a lot of people bought ps2's as dvd players aswell as game consoles, in fact the ps2 boosted the dvd market in japan. i'd say that was pretty succesful.

I bought the PS2 solely for it's DVD player at it's release -- I knew my Dreamcast was a million times better at the time but the cheap DVD player did it for me; success is an understatement.

Did it ever occur to some of those companies people maybe would want a gaming machine instead of multimedai powerhouses. Of course the marketing guys did a great job of letting us believe just gaming alone isn't enough.

I'm not complaining about, lets say, 360 capabilities, in fact they attract me. And that's why I'm getting one, for the power, the (Rare) games and mulitmedia possibilities.

But look at Revolution, gaming only heaven baby a go go.

There I've contradicted myself enough without even making a point.

Well this is constructive...not. And whilst the article is bonafide it has many flaws. Well one flaw...

The article itself. I mean as with all media hype some is cloudy, and difficult to see past, however what this guy is implying is something that even the most simple person can cut through.

Kaz or whomever can claim what they want about the PSP, or PS2. At the end of the day you buy it because you want it to play games, or watch films. You don't buy it because some guy in a suit and tie says its a 'convergent portable entertainment device'. Because this doesnt mean anything...it really doesnt.

The point of the matter is the PS2 was made for one sole objectives, to futher broaden the Sony market sector, mainly financially. It had to make money, because if it didnt make money then Sony wouldnt be able to make something else, so they would have failed. It made money, infact it made a resounding amount. The PS2 has raked in billions of dollers worldside, and that was just for the hardware.

Technically no since your aloud to talk about anything in the general section but perhaps it would have been more at home in the other consoles section.

“If someone told you that the PSP is a portable gaming device, shoot these people. The PSP is not a portable gaming device, it is really a convergent portable entertainment device.â€

If someone came up to me saying, "Hey, look at my new convergent portable entertainment device!" the aforementioned portable entertainment device would find itself converging with a rather unwholesome bodily orifice.

It's just pedantic semantics, and fan of that as I am, I want to keep it as far away from Sony as possible. It's for their own good.

Can (Ken?) we get some Kutaragi comments in here, please?

(I don't hate Sony, so there's no need to go there. They are just acting very '90's Nintendo. Which isn't a good thing.)

Sign in to follow this