NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

N.I joins the no smoking brigade

Meik, that's a self-centred and useless excuse I'm afraid, the customers will still come, and if you don't know that, you're not very clever.

They will be super fucking miffed by the ban but they won't leave, they come for the other people.

People said the same things when smoking was banned in cinemas, on planes and so on. Smoking was recently banned inside the Metro Centre, and the place is just as heaving as it's ever been.

Meik, that's a self-centred and useless excuse I'm afraid, the customers will still come, and if you don't know that, you're not very clever.

They will be super fucking miffed by the ban but they won't leave, they come for the other people.

Okay. First, thanks for posting a well-thought out and constructive response.

I'd like to point out (and I should've mentioned this in my previous post), that pretty much all our custom comes from the working-class locals (we're situated right in the middle of a housing estate), and most have openly stated that if they can't smoke they'd find some other place to drink/smoke. We are not a low-price pub that is situated in the town center, we don't attact any other types of customer.

Sorry you think i'm being self-centered for presenting the other side of the argument. There are hundreds of other landlords/families in the exact same situation.

Banning smoking isn't a win-win situation as most of you seem to think it is.

What are they going to do? Smoke at home? No. They come out for the people. You provide a place for people to meet.

What are they going to do? Smoke at home? No. They come out for the people. You provide a place for people to meet.

Isn't that what Mike has been saying all along?

Yeah, but unless they're like OH JESUS I CAN'T SEE MY BUDDIES BECAUSE I MUST SMOKE, they'll still come in.

Well done MEIK, isnt it sad when people cant see the other side of coin. If it doesnt affect their pockets they simply couldnt give a shit. I sincerely wish you and your folks the best of luck if a ban is imposed in your area .They are trying to ban smoking in my workplace but i work on my own, its laughable. I wonder how they would police the ban if the landlords and locals refused to co-operate with it eh!. I will be the first to admit that there are health benefits in stopping smoking, but what other enjoyment do many working class people have apart from enjoying a smoke and a drink at the local ?. As for those who are ignorant to your familys plight, ignore them, they only jumped on the bandwagon because the "sun" or tony blair told them to.They are sheep. good luck man

I can see where Mike is coming from, and I hope the local punters keep going, maybe have the odd cigarette outside the pub between drinks or something.

But personally, I can't wait for the ban to come into effect. Smoking has taken 3/4 of my grandparents, the only survivor never touched cigarettes, which speaks volumes for me. I believe the Scottish ban is May 31, the first official day of summer 2006.

Well done MEIK, isnt it sad when people cant see the other side of coin. If it doesnt affect their pockets they simply couldnt give a shit. I sincerely wish you and your folks the best of luck if a ban is imposed in your area .They are trying to ban smoking in my workplace but i work on my own, its laughable. I wonder how they would police the ban if the landlords and locals refused to co-operate with it eh!. I will be the first to admit that there are health benefits in stopping smoking, but what other enjoyment do many working class people have apart from enjoying a smoke and a drink at the local ?. As for those who are ignorant to your familys plight, ignore them, they only jumped on the bandwagon because the "sun" or tony blair told them to.They are sheep. good luck man

Yes i wish they would ban smoking from pubs etc. cause the Sun told me to, it deffently has nothing to do with the whole passive smoking thing

This is the point I am trying to get across, though. Most of our patrons are the sort of people who just come in by themselves and have a quiet cigarette and a pint - these are the sort of people we're going to lose, and that has come straight from their mouths. I'm not saying everyone is going to vanish, far from it - but the single regulars are the ones that pretty much sustain our income.

I've got nothing against any of you for wanting to get rid of smoking in public places - like I said before, I hate smoking like the rest of you and would gladly see it abolished everywhere.. it's just not feasible for many pubs across the country.

I hope you can all see past your hatred of smoking and realise there is actually a different side to the argument. If you can't, I could care less. I'm going to leave this discussion at that.

And blumeanie, thanks for you kind words.

Happy days :D

Now the smokers can go kill themselves in their own homes, I cant stand smokers and cant wait til they all kill them selves :p

I almost never post here but why don't you come over and kill me because I sure won't kill myself for an insecure bastard telling people to kill themselves. Why don't YOU kill yourself?

*lits a fag*

yeah, what now raindbow boy?

:wink:

Lits a fag?

I didn't think smoking killed literacy!

Lights a fag.

hehe.

I'm not a smoker, but i suppose to some smoking is part of the enjoyment of a night out, you even get social smokers who only smoke during nights out. A complete ban is a bit far, i think ideally all pubs should provide a smoking room and if they can't then no smoking allowed.

I thought it was interesting when someone said "its a shame people don't protest about these laws" but the polls have been showing 9/10 people are in favour of the N. Ireland ban - so I don't think there is any need for a protest.

I can see where Meik is coming from and to some extent I agree. I'm for a ban in public places like shopping centres, the high street, workplaces and bus stops, but I think that owners of pubs, restaurants and so on should have the choice. It's their establishmant and it's a legal habit.

But then a pub is a workplace too, so now I'm not so sure.

I think in a few years time we'll look back at this time and be amazed and shocked that smoking was so prevalent in public places, just like we now look back at the time when smoking was allowed in cinemas, on planes and so on as Jack mentioned.

I almost never post here but why don't you come over and kill me because I sure won't kill myself for an insecure bastard telling people to kill themselves. Why don't YOU kill yourself?

*lits a fag*

yeah, what now raindbow boy?

:wink:

no thanks im totally pass the whole i hate myself and want to die thanks :p

But I'll see you at your funeral, after you die from a smoke related death :p

thats not on, if people want to smoke who are you to critisize, if they aint harrasing you with the smoke, you shouldn't tell em to go off and die! your not comin to my funeral :heh:

thats not on, if people want to smoke who are you to critisize, if they aint harrasing you with the smoke, you shouldn't tell em to go off and die! your not comin to my funeral :heh:

Who says I want to go ;) :p

i dont care if you do or not, you're a damn mod you should behave like one and stop being so nasty to smokers! :(

i dont care if you do or not, you're a damn mod you should behave like one and stop being so nasty to smokers! :(

Smokers shouldnt smoke then I cant be nasty towards them :p

Sign in to follow this