NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

N.I joins the no smoking brigade

well its been all over the news here, northern ireland is goin to be smoke free in pubs in about a year an a half.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4346802.stm

personally i think it will destroy pubs all over the place, N Ireland has a scary number of young smokers, infact i don't know many people that dont smoke! i could see all the young people having house parties, instead of going to the pub.

so its Scotland, Ireland and northern ireland, any news of the English/Welsh ban?

There is meant to be a law coming in for England in the near-ish future which bans smoking from pubs serving food (which is loads of them nowadays) but I do not think there is a complete ban in the pipeline at the moment.

I would love to see a complete ban though, I went to a smoke free pub the other night (its a rule they made in the pub because they wanted to - not because they had to) and it was lovely to come out at the end of the night not stinking of smoke and having a dry sore throat the next morning from all the passive smoking I usually do in the pub.

I think for all the people who are put off going out, there will be an equal number who stay in or go to mates houses to avoid the smoke. There has been no known effect on takings in Ireland that Ive read about - it might even help people quit if they are just social smokers.

I don't see why pubs and smoking have to go hand in hand. I don't really mind it unless I'm eating, but I don't see why it'll destroy pubs. New York's surviving fine, isn't it?

Mmm, just reading this made me reach for the packet and lighter .Its political correctness gone mad. Ive recently been in some of these smoke free pubs♣ and trust me ,THEY STINK. If there is no smoke there is the overpowering stench of sweat, dampness,stale drink from the carpets and seats, cheap perfumes and bad breath. If the government are truly concerned with our health why dont they just ban ciggarettes totaly ?. I know why they wont .

Mmm, just reading this made me reach for the packet and lighter .Its political correctness gone mad. Ive recently been in some of these smoke free pubs♣ and trust me ,THEY STINK. If there is no smoke there is the overpowering stench of sweat, dampness,stale drink from the carpets and seats, cheap perfumes and bad breath. If the government are truly concerned with our health why dont they just ban ciggarettes totaly ?. I know why they wont .

seriously, dont tempt me :heh:

IMO sweat/stale drink is rotten, id rather smell smoke myself, and that is coming from someone that is now a non-smoker, and i do think fags are horrible, i just cant resist them :heh:

If there is no smoke there is the overpowering stench of sweat, dampness,stale drink from the carpets and seats, cheap perfumes and bad breath. If the government are truly concerned with our health why dont they just ban ciggarettes totaly ?. I know why they wont .

Strange how the half of the uni bar thats non smoking smells a lot more pleasent then the half that is smoking. And its not because no one goes there its always a lot more packed then the other half. I cant wait for the day i can go down t'pub and not come back smelling like a chimney.

Maybe I was just lucky - the pub I went to didn't smell bad, although Ive never been to a smoke free club, I imagine they stink.

Obviously the Govt will never ban smoking - think of the tax!! But it is nice for non-smokers like me to have the option to go out and remain smoke free. Its a free choice thing - if you want to do it, go ahead and do it, but not in places where other people cant avoid breathing it in. My personal view on it anyway.

I totally respect your opinion, people should have a right to a non smokey environment. i hate people that smoke when im eating! thats gets on my nerve!

there must be a better compromise, smoking in the pissing rain will not makin anyone a happy camper. But yeah saying all that any not having a clue how to have a compromise doesn't exactly work :heh:

What kind of nasty dives do you frequent?

Was the floor covered in sawdust from where people had been throwing up?

If the government are truly concerned with our health why dont they just ban ciggarettes totaly ?. I know why they wont .

Everyone knows why they won't - it's not a secret that the duty from cigarettes is many times the amount the NHS spends on treating smoking-related diseases. I wouldn't mind if people stopped smoking tabs which stink - Benson & Hedges are fucking rotten. I'd much prefer everyone smoked menthols.

Theres to much tax revenue to be lost introducing a total ban on ciggarettes .Banning people from smoking in pubs and restruaunts etc, in my opinion, does not encourage a majority to smoke or even drink any less . The landlords of small pubs with regular smokers are the ones who get hit hardest financialy ,the government looses nothing. I find it very unsettling that some people just roll over and accept these new laws without question . We are currently being assaulted with a barrage of new laws ,most of which will have serious repercussions for our civil freedoms, by a government that is totaly obsessed with any form of social controll. A ban on smoking is only the tip of the iceberg.

I cant wait till the ban starts in scotland, hopefully get rid of the stinking habit.

I respect the right of the non smoker to be able to go out without having to breath in smoke, but to ban smoking in all pubs is just overkill.

As long as there's enough non smoking pubs to cater for the demand then there should be as many needed for the smokers aswell.

Otherwise it's just unfair and may encourage more people to give up smoking which the government don't want (despite how much they spend on their NHS smokers quitline service).

Well, over here in the green place, everyone bitched at the start. I don't smoke so it doesn't bother me. But everyone just goes outside because they have to. And that's it really. No one dies. No one passive smokes much. And the smokers get to shorten their life. It went down alot better than expected in my eyes.

But clubs can be weird. When you dance, a small of a fart isn't nice. But it doesn't last long, and im not breathing in smoke so that doesnt bother me :D

I think it helps alot of people give up aswell.

It is strange though that some places still have a smoking area in the same room as if some invisible wall stops the smoke from reaching the non smoking tables eh!. The non smoker has every right to the clean air they demand but most of them probably think nothing of leaving the pub to spew their exhaust fumes for the 5 min journey home (sober of course). But hey , im just being picky and thats a totaly different issue isnt it?.

Happy days :D

Now the smokers can go kill themselves in their own homes, I cant stand smokers and cant wait til they all kill them selves :p

I'm totally for a total ban in England, can't stand the smell of smoke and whenever I want to go out for a drink having to breathe in other peoples!

you guys are only gettin a ban in places where food is served tho? i think ours applies to all work places

I'm totally for a total ban in England, can't stand the smell of smoke and whenever I want to go out for a drink having to breathe in other peoples!

I have to agree.

you guys are only gettin a ban in places where food is served tho? i think ours applies to all work places

Oh well, at least I wont have to breathe in peoples smoke when I'm at work, better than nothing, and I'd also love to tell some people off for smoking when they're not allowed too, just like I did today (they were smoking in the wrong section). I told them they had to move to the smoking section and they got up in a huff, walked out, saying "well, I'm never coming back here", yeah like a could give a shit!

hehe yeah i bet! i mean pushing your luck is not on - smokers should have some respect for other people too!

wish me luck guys, i've just smoked my very last cigarette! fingers crossed i'll quit properly this time.

I don't smoke. I don't like being around smokers, and I think it's a complete waste of money. I am, however, 100% against the ban. Here's why.

My parents and myself run and live in a small local community-based pub, where most of the patrons are smokers. The fact of the matter is if there was an outright ban on smoking, our livelihood would be destroyed. If smoking was banned, our customers simply wouldn't come anymore.

If you don't want to be around smoke, fine - find a non-smoking pub or go somewhere else to have a drink.

Spare a thought for the innocent landlords and pub-owners and how it will affect them before you all go shouting your mouths off about how you hate smokers.

Sign in to follow this