NEurope
flameboy

Space Station Tycoon

Well new game from Namco Bandai, has been revealed on IGN...

here's some images of it firstly:

wiis-space-station-tycoon-20070227044828056-000.jpg

wiis-space-station-tycoon-20070227044825853.jpg

wiis-space-station-tycoon-20070227044827353.jpg

US, February 27, 2007 - Namco Bandai Games revealed to IGN Wii on Tuesday that is planning to bring Space Station Tycoon, the latest in its series of Tycoon simulation titles, to Nintendo's new console. The game is developed by Wahoo Studios, whose last project was the well-received Outpost Kaloki X for Xbox Live Arcade, and Space Station Tycoon shares much in common with its predecessor. Players use the Wii remote to manage galactic space stations, all the while increasing their income. The game comes to life with a unique storyline that revolves around witty banter and humorous plot progression. Space Station Tycoon is set for a summer 2007 release on Wii.

"Space Station Tycoon utilizes the creative and unique functionality of the Wii by allowing gamers to emerge themselves in a type of tycoon gameplay never before experienced," said Makoto Iwai, executive vice president and COO of Namco Bandai Games. "Its fun-loving characters and off-the-wall space station scenarios should have Wii owners scrambling to get their stations thriving."

We chatted with Namco Bandai Games producer Ben Cole and Wahoo Studios project manager and designer Brent Fox and Jeremy Throckmorton respectively about Space Station Tycoon. Keep reading to learn all about the exciting addition to Wii's growing library.

the whole interview can be read here http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/768/768580p1.html its pretty huge so I'm not gonna post it here. is nice to see the wii getting yet another genre added to it's bow. could this be one of the games Matt meant on his blog, seems likely considering how long the interview is, must have been prepared a while back.

there is NO excuse for ds graphics. NONE! this looks like the star trek game on ds!

Lets wait until it's finished shall we?

Although they are going to have to do better then "Viktor Von Frankengull."

Lets wait until it's finished shall we?

Although they are going to have to do better then "Viktor Von Frankengull."

I quite like Viktor Von Frankengull, its the best part of the game from what I've seen.

That first image has got to be from a DS version.

This is starting to take the piss now.

Considering this is an exclusive, I'm fine with this. The developer doesn't sound too impressive though, sounds like an indie developer.

Considering this is an exclusive, I'm fine with this. The developer doesn't sound too impressive though, sounds like an indie developer.

Yeah Wahoo Studies who previously made a Live Arcade game, does make this seem very possible, heres hoping Namco-Bandai lend some support.

Considering this is an exclusive, I'm fine with this.

Space Station Tycoon is coming out on the PSP and Wii.

Space Station Tycoon is coming out on the PSP and Wii.
Really? The tone in that interview is like they developed this exclusively for the Wii and they don't mention the PSP anywhere. Guess I missed it.

It doesn't mention on IGN about a PSP version... does give the sense that it is just for Wii as they speak about the Wii's unique controls.

This is practically sequel to Outpost Kaloki X, Live Arcade title that was made by same developer (Wahoo Studios). X360 version was pretty similar graphics wise, and ironically nobody complained about its graphics. But it's nice to see that someone is trying management genre with Wii. :)

X360 version was pretty similar graphics wise, and ironically nobody complained its graphics.

That's because it's an XBLA game which costs less than £10 and had to be under 50mb in size.

That's because it's an XBLA game which costs less than £10 and had to be under 50mb in size.

Since when price has stopped graphics whores from complaining? And seriously, we have certain posters that always complain about graphics, so long as they know that screenshot is for Wii game, and it is getting retarded. This especially true when we are talking about god damn fucking management genre, where graphics haven't never been priority number one.

IGN Wii: Before we go into the Wii specifics, please tell us what it is that you do in Space Station Tycoon. Can you also give us a couple of gameplay examples?

Jeremy Throckmorton: Space Station Tycoon puts you into the shoes of a wet-behind-the-ears kid named Shawn, and his sarcastic monkey friend Tam, who decides he wants to run space stations. He travels the galaxy building and maintaining stations where you have to deal with and serve all manner of wacky characters: a voodoo chicken, ninja starfish, filmmaker pigs, etc. These characters all have things they want from you and your goal is to take care of them so you can become the ultimate space station tycoon. Sometimes you will need to do what they want in order to progress through the game, other times you have more choice on how to deal with them. What you do can change how the character feels about you or acts later in the game. Charging a guy to use your restroom might seem like a good idea at the time, but letting him pee for free could be better in the long run.

You also have control over a mobile gravity well that opens up all kinds of ways to interact with things around your station. A visitor might not be getting to the expansion you built for him very quickly, so you can take a hands-on approach to customer service and drag him there. You can catch cannonballs and throw them back at attacking pirates, making sure they don't fire any more. You can fling mines at asteroids, blowing them up and clearing room for your station to expand.

I'd like to add that we've a great time talking about the kind of scenarios we want to throw at the Shawn and Tam. I mean, some of the things you're going to see Tam do... classic.

Just reading this it sounds awesome! such a quirky story line!

Sounds pretty groovy... one of the first things I thought was the graphics look pretty nice, then I scroll down and read the comments slating how it looks. I must be way behind the times!

The game sounds good as well, if these guys can deliver on what big ideas they have for the game then it should be great. :smile:

Still sounds cool to me. If its out this summer then I'll be looking out for the reviews from now on!

Could help see me through the "drought". :laughing: