NEurope
zpmodel

Nintendo is full of lies.

I watched the conference yesterday (from an old CUBE disc) where it was said on the graphics front that when you first turn it on you will say 'wow'. It was E3 2005 where the Wii was first shown.

That obviously was a ploy to keep you interested. The graphics aren't outstanding, but that really doesn't bother me, there really nice enough so that ain't the problem...I can understand both sides really, i mean...why say the graphics are on par with 360 when they obviously aren't? Just be honest, the console is a huge success anyway. :)

At the moment also, game releases are coming in on a weekly basis and will be up till end-of March. However please NOE tell me, what in gods name do we have to look forward from April-September? because nothings been announced (yet), which is slightly worrying! Also, we really do need to start seeing some First-Party titles in the next coiple of months. I suggest Super Paper Mario is released in Europe in April 07 as well, as that will solve the problem of April having no wii games being released. Hopefully late next month we'll get some details, i let them off for now. :)

Also, as much as i love the Virtual Console, i didn't buy my Wii to have to buy 10 year-old games to fill in the gaps of the actual 'Wii' games which i bought the console for. I'm sure i read Reggie saying something about using the VC to keep releases coming in thick and fast...but didn't most people buy a Wii to play Wii games?

All this moaning though. I still love my Wii, it's great! It's just these little niggly things which annoy and frustrate get in the way.

I was (and still am) impressed a bit with Red Steels graphics.

Brawl,Galaxy and Corruption make me go "Wow"

how does brawl make you go wow? there hasnt really been any proper footage yet and what has been shown doesnt look all tht amazing anyway

Brawl looks pretty awesome Tbh, I mean it looks way better than Melee, I play melee every day and that has pretty awesome graphics, well, it looks nice in progressive scan :heh:

Brawl looks pretty awesome Tbh, I mean it looks way better than Melee, I play melee every day and that has pretty awesome graphics, well, it looks nice in progressive scan :heh:

I agree. There's some comparison pictures floating about comparing Melee to Brawl, and it does look fantastic.

I'll say "wow" at this forum because I have never seen such an active one yet. It was only 2 hours ago did I create this thread and I already have 2 and a half pages of replies. Nice ;)

Anyhow, I've been convinced to be patient and keep busy with Zelda for now.

I'm in Canada, I'll have Super Paper Mario in 5 weeks! :p

I'll say "wow" at this forum because I have never seen such an active one yet. It was only 2 hours ago did I create this thread and I already have 2 and a half pages of replies. Nice ;)

Anyhow, I've been convinced to be patient and keep busy with Zelda for now.

I'm in Canada, I'll have Super Paper Mario in 5 weeks! :p

2 pages in 2 hours is quite usual here, so you've come to the right place.

Is anyone else really interested in the Wii-mote use in Galaxy? it looks pretty intriguing and mario should be able to pull off some cool stuff, like the spin attack they've shown. Ringing the bells and using the little shiny circles to latch onto looks good as well.

2 pages in 2 hours is quite usual here, so you've come to the right place.

It depends on the type of thread. Some threads take days to get going.

I think we'll definitely see more great looking games in the future. From first parties, it's an almost certainty, but I think the problems lie with third parties.

I think we'll definitely see more great looking games in the future. From first parties, it's an almost certainty, but I think the problems lie with third parties.

Ubisoft. Ubisoft. Ubisoft.

It depends on the type of thread. Some threads take days to get going.

yeah, its just developers cashing in on the new consumers whove just got into games and they dont really know what they're buying.

soon though people will be buying the good games.

I know nintendo will want this but i dont want metroid to go too mainstream. I bet loads of people will buy it because there arent many shooters, and because its not like halo it will get slated. Many people from my school who played metroid thought it was crap, but it was only because it wasnt a simple shoot em up and they couldnt complete it.

I think it's partly Nintendo's fault that the graphics don't look that good because they shipped the final dev-kits very late.

On the X-360 they could start coding on a PC as the architecture is very similar and plaster everything with shaders once they got nearly final hardware. So it had quite an advantage to produce good graphics near launch.

What I hope though is that devs will stop making cheap PS2 ports and rather show some effort.

What also annoys me a bit is the idea to make a small system. If the system was bigger they could increase clock speed and use a more powerful processor in general without a big difference in cost.

But to be honest when I watch gameplay videos of X-360 games I'm not 'wow'ed either. It's just some extra lighting and a few shaders but you don't actually see most of the beautiful details while playing

a) because you hardly have time to look at it

b) the camera is often too far away (except for FPS) to be able to really see the little details.

I think the so-called next-gen graphics really enhance the cutscenes when you have time to look at them closely.

You know, talking about the best graphics on Wii, actually, I think Wii Sports looks really good. Yes, it looks over-simplistic, but that's just the art direction. Technically, there's some good stuff in there. The distant blurring, hi-res textures (go compare them to Zelda: TP), the trees. Nothing mind-blowing, but it does look great :)

Anyway, I just love the 'new' Nintendo. Ever since Iwata has been leading the company, they've changed so much. You can he's coming from the development side of the business, whereas the competitors are just... you know, people hired to do jobs. I'm curious what the next few years brings us!

The problem isn't Nintendo lying, it's the age we live in. Blogs, forums, podcasts, and feeds; we are surrounded by e-pinions. And so everything is analysed, discussed, and sifted for clues. Things are drawn in, made or built up, yet when it all falls over everyone points the finger at pruned company quotes.

Just look at the recent demonisation of Sony, the internet tearing to shreds every piece of badly worded PR. (Not that I'm saying Sony haven't been making a lot of screw ups lately, just that gaming communities the world over make them seem worse then they are. I'm also not exonerating the PR people, as they should know to be more careful with their words.)

As for the Wii's graphics, you will see the bar rise throughout the console's lifetime, just like any other. However, if you're expecting 360/PS3 levels of detail then you -will- be disappointed, as those machines are technically superior than the Wii as is reflected in their pricetags — don't forget that Nintendo are the only company that makes money on hardware sales, with both Sony and Microsoft taking losses, such is the toll for taking the hi-def road.

Personally I think games like ExciteTruck, Sonic and The Secret Rings, and SSX Blur look really nice. A good use of effects, some nice design and, the clincher in my opinion, framerates that don't stutter. They might not be as texture-rich as they would be on a 360 or PS3, but if the game's fun and it runs well does it really matter?

Of course it would be nice if the Wii was the most powerful console that had ever existed, but with great power comes great responsi— complications. Such as cost, noise, development costs, mastering new hardware, manufacturing problems, higher retail prices. The Wii is about simplicity, and when people play to its strengths it can be amazing. I've owned an Xbox 360 since launch, and whilst it does have plenty of good games none of them have plastered a grin over my face like Wii Sports has. Games like Crackdown and Dead Rising are fun, and I'm glad I own them, but the Wii can bring a sense of kinetic enjoyment that the 360 simply doesn't have.

Which is a more valid a form of entertainment? That's for the individual to decide. Personally I appreciate both, and as a dedicated gamer I make it my business to get my hands on as many games as possible.

Now, all those Wii adopters that have bought consoles after playing Wii Sports at a friend's house probably won't share that mentality, but even if they don't get stuck in to everything gaming has to offer they have still enjoyed a videogame enough to go out and make that purchase. That's when something goes mainstream — because gaming isn't, not really — it's when you can talk about something with strangers and be greeted with something other than bemused/worried looks. And when everyone's had a taste of gaming, when it becomes truly accepted, that's when the industry as a whole can start to mature. And that, my friends, is a good thing.

You think I'm banging the drum for the Wii? Of course I am. I see the value in it, the potential, and I find it exciting. Because I'm a geek that cares about gaming as a whole, not just the textures. Because I've invested both time and money into the medium I believe in. Because waving your arms like a loon is just damned fun.

"When you see Revolution...you will say WOW".

Maybe a very sarcastic wow.

But of course, there's still plenty of time for developers to turn it around. And I hope they do. Because right now, it's not wow. It's lol.

I think it's partly Nintendo's fault that the graphics don't look that good because they shipped the final dev-kits very late.

On the X-360 they could start coding on a PC as the architecture is very similar and plaster everything with shaders once they got nearly final hardware. So it had quite an advantage to produce good graphics near launch.

And Nintendo let them start coding on a GC, what's the difference? Developers have got years of experience with GC and Wii and the GC is in fact almost identical in architecture

They had the exact same advantage like Microsoft

I have to disagree with a lot of people on here. I did go WOW the first time I saw the revolution, not really at the graphics so much although I do feel the graphics of the likes of Wii Sports still impressed me at the time, they have a very clear artist direction, decisions were made to make it look that way and for me it works.

But is wasn't that that did wow me, it was the wiimote, the opening of new possiblities with gaming, surely thats what Iwata meant? Not the graphics.

And even if he did mean the graphics I still really don't see what is wrong with them that bad, excite truck like Flinky said is gorgeous, it fits the game perfectly there isn't much else that would add anything to the game to make it any better- from a graphical point of view, for me to be honest.

Even Zelda is gorgeous which people have argued against, ok so it has some blurry not very detailed textures, but it is still a great looking game, and it is probably the game that made me feel WOW first owing to its great implentation of the wiimote controls.

nintendo never said that you will say wow! for the graphic part they said you will say wow when you play it and when i played Wii i loved it i have a 360 and a wii and i like my wii much more even with 360 having better graphics

nintendo never said that you will say wow! for the graphic part they said you will say wow when you play it and when i played Wii i loved it i have a 360 and a wii and i like my wii much more even with 360 having better graphics

No. Iwata said it whilst talking about the graphical capabilities. You are wrong.

And Nintendo let them start coding on a GC, what's the difference? Developers have got years of experience with GC and Wii and the GC is in fact almost identical in architecture

They had the exact same advantage like Microsoft

The thing is many devs actually just made PS2 ports and so had little experience in exploiting the GC's unique features and it's quite a difference (in the graphics department) between coding on a four years old machine and a more or less new PC. However I agree with that Eggebrecht (sp?) form Factor5 that it really is disappointing to see that devs don't even do now what Factor5 did four years ago on the GC.

Edit: I also watched E3 2005 again (or the part about graphics) and Iwata said: "When you ???? on Revolution and you see the graphics, you will say: wow"

when did anyone say metroid would have the best graphics?

I can't remember who said it, but it was said. However I think they were saying it was the best graphics on the Wii, or in the series. I don;t think it was meant to be taken that they were the best graphics ever.

I can't remember who said it, but it was said. However I think they were saying it was the best graphics on the Wii, or in the series. I don;t think it was meant to be taken that they were the best graphics ever.

it was best graphics in the series they said. Think I have it on a DVD somewhere will take a look.

I watched the whole Revolution presentation at E³ 2005 again and got some of the most important parts. It turns out that many of it held true.

512 MB Flash memory and SD card reader. true

When you ???? on Revolution and you see the graphics, you will say: wow :indeed:

Owners can also choose a small internal attachment to play movies and other DVD contents. yay we get a new Wii that does that instead :indeed:

Wi-Fi and Internet used very loosely in the presentation but in this case true

Appealing to every member of household, whether gamer or not. it actually worked out like they wanted it to

All controllers will be wireless and the controllers will be very unique. true as well

We are working on several Wi-Fi titles, each starring one of our key franchise characters. One or two Wi-Fi games will be ready for launch and I am pushing my team to make sure Smash Brothers is one of them. That way no matter where Reggie is, I can always beat him. well the Japanese got a Pokémon game for Wii that uses the DS servers. Not exactly what we were promised. And Smash Bros is pretty far away from being finished.

The gaming experience will separate Revolution from its competitors. true

Mr. Miyamoto is working on something brand-new for Revolution. I think we have yet to see that.

Next-gen versions of Mario and Zelda are already under way. yet to see Zelda but it's a no-brainer that there'll be one for Wii

Many devs have exclusive content for Revolution. true: Red Steel, TH Downhill Jam...

Square Enix is working on a Wi-Fi enabled Version of FF Crystal Chronicles. true I think

On the one hand Revolution is the perfect home for videogame masterpiece. Games that look beautiful, games that play flawlessly, masterpieces that connect you to the game story like no system before. it's mainly PR talk but I put it in because he has some emphasis on the graphics again

Game creation on Revolution can be most developer friendly. Simpler, faster and less expensive than any other new system. true according to devs

Backward compatibility: Virtual Console – download 20 years of Nintendo content. true

I'm actually pretty surprised what turned out to be true. After all some things have to be scrapped most of the time during development.

Things change over time - Nintendo have changed some things, yes, but they haven't changed anything since we could preorder the console. When we preordered the console, we knew what we were getting, which is what counts.

edit: And the graphics are opinionated: He said "beautiful", not "advanced", too.

The only "lie" is Connect 24. Because the Wii isn't actually connected the whole time.

As far as I know 360 uses IBM processors which actually are not made to run using the PC x86 . I think it was macs they were developing on?? werent the demos at one of the E3's running on macs and not 360's?