NEurope
Atomic Boo

Do my Penguin for me

C3 and 4 can be tricky, but are usually reasonable enough - I thought the hardest A-level modules were M3, DE and FP3. S gets easier the higher you go, oddly enough...

At AS we did S1, C1 and C2. Now we're doing C3, C4 and M1. I suppose in a way that's good considering M1 is classed as an AS unit.

C3 and 4 can be tricky, but are usually reasonable enough - I thought the hardest A-level modules were M3, DE and FP3. S gets easier the higher you go, oddly enough...

Really? 'Cos I still have S2 and S3 to do for my stats. I got an A at As level maths but I've done S1 again (with a different board) last week.

Well I find that I switch off in maths lessons. I'm pretty sure I could do well at it, it's just after I forget it, which is pretty quickly, I have to learn it again. You could say that's revision, but it isn't in the same way as science.

Some things my teacher just expects us to know when really it needs a bit more explaining, but oh well. I find that many GCSEs are hard to do bad on. Science is just remembering facts, there is almost no skill involved. Yet when people do well in it they think they're amazing, which isn't the case as they'll find out at A Level, I think. (I'm guessing)

I'm thinking about taking economics, english and critical thinking at A level. Not sure what else... Really not sure what career path I'm going for.

Yet when people do well in it they think they're amazing, which isn't the case as they'll find out at A Level, I think. (I'm guessing)

This is very true, hehe, I used to get 100% on my chemistry tests and think I was amazing. Then I did A level chemistry and got royally fooooked over, well it got difficult anyway!

LOLS! A friend I know is fairly clever, but only really getting As/A* in Science GCSEs, which is largely the reason why he may be taking 3 sciences at A level. (bad move anyway because you'd want something different than science to make you more well rounded :blank:)

Really? 'Cos I still have S2 and S3 to do for my stats. I got an A at As level maths but I've done S1 again (with a different board) last week.

If you find C2 easier than S1 (like I did), then yes. S2 and 3 are less like bullshit and more like actual maths - you learn where (some of the) hypothesis tests come from, meaning they make more sense, and deal with statistical functions and things. Although I think the good stuff like moment-generating functions are in S4 or aren't in the A-level at all.

you'd want something different than science to make you more well rounded

I ended up doing biology, chemistry, and double maths, and am now doing a degree in linguistics. :heh: I'd have liked to do English literature, but our school only let us do four A-levels (I'd also have liked to do physics, japanese, philosophy, and classics come to that, but more than 5 would just be insanity).

Yeah but you didn't just do science did you? Having great maths and science A levels is almost guarenteeing you a very well paid job.

I'm currently doing university Maths, and I'm loving it to bits. Very challenging and we've proven some truly wonderful things, like how there are infinitely many different "infinities". The key difference between this and a level is that in A level most theorems are just "assumed" and then used with only little understanding of its meaning and significance, whereas at uni every theorem or lemma has to be proved with perfect rigour. It's weird now looking back that Further Maths is only really the tip of the iceberg. I'm finding a lot of the tests very tough, some of them barely passing, and having to do a fair amount of work in my spare time, and this is coming from someone who aced A levels without too much effort. And it's still only the first year :P

I'm currently doing university Maths, and I'm loving it to bits. Very challenging and we've proven some truly wonderful things, like how there are infinitely many different "infinities". The key difference between this and a level is that in A level most theorems are just "assumed" and then used with only little understanding of its meaning and significance, whereas at uni every theorem or lemma has to be proved with perfect rigour. It's weird now looking back that Further Maths is only really the tip of the iceberg. I'm finding a lot of the tests very tough, some of them barely passing, and having to do a fair amount of work in my spare time, and this is coming from someone who aced A levels without too much effort. And it's still only the first year :P

From what I've read, maths at school is, as you say, the tip of the iceberg.

Real maths is like a different, more interesting, pack of cards (possibly with lovely pictures on them?)

I've applied for maths at uni next year - and I just need 3 As for my Oxford offer. I'm pretty scared, because everyone there will be mega-amazing, and I'll just be my laid-back self and never do any work! That is, if I manage to get those 3 As.

At the moment it looks like I'm going to be hard pressed to get the chemistry A-Level... I'm doing AS and A2 in one year, and I'm so bad :shakehead I literally can't remember any reactions, their products, their catalysts, anything! At least maths is logical, and requires little recall, whereas Chemistry is so intricate that it seemingly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and demands so many little things to be remembered!

From what I've read, maths at school is, as you say, the tip of the iceberg.

Real maths is like a different, more interesting, pack of cards (possibly with lovely pictures on them?)

I've applied for maths at uni next year - and I just need 3 As for my Oxford offer. I'm pretty scared, because everyone there will be mega-amazing, and I'll just be my laid-back self and never do any work! That is, if I manage to get those 3 As.

At the moment it looks like I'm going to be hard pressed to get the chemistry A-Level... I'm doing AS and A2 in one year, and I'm so bad :shakehead I literally can't remember any reactions, their products, their catalysts, anything! At least maths is logical, and requires little recall, whereas Chemistry is so intricate that it seemingly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and demands so many little things to be remembered!

I'd say that A level maths gives you the "tools" you need to do real maths. All you really do is practise them, you start to apply them once you get to uni.

Congrats on your Oxford offer, I wouldn't worry too much about how good you think you'll be, most people will find the work hard and by the end of the first term everyone will be about as good as each other.

Chemistry A level is pretty lame, as too much of it is spent memorising equations and colours and not enough appreciation of what's going on. I'm sure it gets good at uni though.

Yeah but you didn't just do science did you?

At A-level? Just the four I said, so science and maths.

Yay, Cantor's diagonal proof is awesome. The little university level maths I know of is really awesome, I've always been one for rigourous proofs. When I have some spare time I must read some more about analysis and group theory. I get the impression that A-level maths (and that includes further) is probably a better preparation for science or engineering than for mathematics.

Good luck with making your offer, the uncertainty is hell at this point. Chemistry's a right bastard, in my opinion it was worse than maths and further maths put together. If you work at it enough though, things should come out ok. And then I can abuse you for being at the other place. :wink:

Chemistry A level is pretty lame, as too much of it is spent memorising equations and colours and not enough appreciation of what's going on. I'm sure it gets good at uni though.

It really is. University chemistry is a lot better, as they do away with all the industry rubbish and concentrate on the science, which means you get interesting principles rather than nonsense to memorise. I'm still not a fan of periodicity though.

Hmm, might split this off into a different thread as we're kind of way off topic. Maths? I have some fun puzzles. :heh:

I have a maths degree and it was a really nice time of life. Even my course was better structured than most others; 12 hours of lectures a week, 3 seminars/tutorials a week, 6 assignments a fortnight and 6 exams per semester.

The further I am from it the more I forget and just know what I use day to day, which is pretty much basic stats work and data manipulation. Sometimes it's more interesting though.

Quick question because im too lazy to think/look while im writing; a famous (ie McCannian) real life event of a child being kidnapped prior to 2002 that would have been known in America?

(worse comes to worse I'll compare it to McCann but would rather have something that would have happened before the film)

Quick question because im too lazy to think/look while im writing; a famous (ie McCannian) real life event of a child being kidnapped prior to 2002 that would have been known in America?

(worse comes to worse I'll compare it to McCann but would rather have something that would have happened before the film)

12 seconds with Google led me to the name Etan Patz, taken in May 1979. Over 500 police and detectives were put on the case across the USA, Western Europe and Israel, he no his body have yet been found.

Hmm but something which audiences in 2003 would have known about. Chances are the majority would have forgotten about a 20 year old case..

I appreciate the help (and I swear, I am researching too, just different areas :p)

Was McCann the one on the train tracks? I get them confused. The two girls in Man Utd tops? Or is that the same, i dunno.

Was McCann the one on the train tracks? I get them confused. The two girls in Man Utd tops? Or is that the same, i dunno.

Maddy McCann is the little girl who went missing in portugal. The two girls (I think one was called Jessica) were murdered by Ian Huntley. (IIRC)

Come to think of it, as it's technically an abduction, the Jamie Bulger case is probably know in the US.

Right I need some help!

Just doing an A2 physics past paper and came upon this question:

State and explain 2 differences between Gamma and X-radiation.

I don't have any notes on me so if someone could help me with that, it'd be much appreciated :)

State and explain 2 differences between Gamma and X-radiation.

Gamma radiation is higher frequency, and more ionising as a result of this.

Gamma radiation is higher frequency, and more ionising as a result of this.

You forgot to mention that the shorter wavelength of Gamma radiation allows it to penetrate deeper/more materials than X-rays.

You forgot to mention that the shorter wavelength of Gamma radiation allows it to penetrate deeper/more materials than X-rays.

Yep, that's another difference.

Aren't all types if waves stopped by lead though?

All apart from gamma rays, which are attenuated by it, and pretty much stopped if it's thick enough.