NEurope
Atomic Boo

Do my Penguin for me

I'm assuming Ashley's already looking at Anansi and stuff?

Cause that's pretty HUGE. I know in various versions of myths he's been half and half.

Surely all this is moving more and more into the modern realms, I thought it was supposed to be folklore and legend type stuff? Things from days of old! Though I can't offer anything on the man-spider thing, I just think of Burnt Face Man. Or maybe the story of Arachne, or whatever that greek thing was.

Folklore is still contemporary. Or at least in the sense that folklorists use it. Because the only word they seem to know is folklore so they say it about 10 times every paragraph. But contemporary is fine, the majority of contemporary (particularly fantasy) will be drawing on myths, legends, fables et al.

I'm assuming Ashley's already looking at Anansi and stuff?

Cause that's pretty HUGE. I know in various versions of myths he's been half and half.

Never heard of it but it looks good. Thanks :D

But not just random deviantarts (although I appreciate the effort) but actual stories, fables etc. These DAs may be based on those, but I need the original, not an artist's interepretation.

But thanks anyway :)

Maths homework:

1) find the equation of the curve of y=x^2 after it has been translated by vector

(-2)

(-3)

2) i) solve the equation 2x^2 + 5x - 1 = 0

ii) sketch the curve of y= 2x^2 + 5x - 1 marking significant points.

1) moving it 2 in the negative x direction gives y=(x+2)²

Moving it 3 in the negative y direction gives y=(x+2)²-3

2)i)2x²+5x-1=0 a=1 b=2 c=3

Put that into the equation (-b +/- sqroot(b²-4ac))/2a

or you could complete the square, which would give you the coordinates of the stationary point.

please do, complete the square lol. for extra marks show your working.

I hated Maths. I liked the satisfaction of completing a question though, when it all slotted into place.

It was pointless in the grand scheme of my life though.

---

Anyone want to share their informed opinions of the life and works of Tracey Emin? I need some critical comments (they can be from anywhere)

How about I show you how to do it.

ax²+bx+c -> first take the a out of the first two terms

a(x²+(b/a)x) +c ->then complete the square inside the brackets

a((x+b/2a)² -(b/2a)²) +c ->then multiply out the a

a(x+b/2a)² -(ab²)/(4a²) +c -> simplify and then set = to 0

I don' know why but I never understand the maths I see online in this thread, seems so much simpler in the book. I can do some of it but thanks for the whole thing :)

You realise that's where the quadratic equation comes from?

I don' know why but I never understand the maths I see online in this thread, seems so much simpler in the book. I can do some of it but thanks for the whole thing :)

I think it's partly that plain text isn't exactly the best format for mathematical exposition, and books tend to simplify and/or present things better. If you avoid quite tricks earlier on (like "move it over to the other side and change the sign"), things will seem more straighfoward as stuff gets more advanced.

If you complete the square for that is it:

2x^2 + 5x - 1 = 0

x^2 + 2.5x - 0.5 = 0

(x + 1.25)^2 - 1.5625 - 0.5 = 0

(x + 1.25)^2 - 2.0625 = 0

x + 1.25 = positive/ negative the square root of 2.0625

x = -1.25 plus/minus the square root of 2.0625

I hope it is :/

Hang on don't you have to double it if you divide everything by 2 at the start?

I love the arrogance ;) I am so awed by people who can do maths, I learnt it all for my GCSE and then quickly forgot it.

I love the arrogance ;) I am so awed by people who can do maths, I learnt it all for my GCSE and then quickly forgot it.

You also said you like funny guys, but we haven't had sex yet.

You also said you like funny guys, but we haven't had sex yet.

You are literally incorrigible! Shhhhhhhhh

You realise that's where the quadratic equation comes from?

When I first did completing the square, our teacher told the class to do it on ax^2+bx+c, and you could tell when someone worked it out 'cause they'd go, "hey...wait a second...I recognise that!"

Anybody know? I want to know if I failed that or not.

Edit: YES!!! I did something right. I am not taking A Level though. That shit is insane. (Don't even talk to me about a Maths degree)

A-level maths is where it starts to be actually interesting - I don't think many people like maths until things like calculus are introduced, but yeah, the subject is by no means for everyone. Still, lots of people who think they're awful at it could actually be good if they were properly taught. Anyway, GCSE maths is something of an oxymoron. :heh:

A-level maths is where it starts to be actually interesting - I don't think many people like maths until things like calculus are introduced, but yeah, the subject is by no means for everyone. Still, lots of people who think they're awful at it could actually be good if they were properly taught. Anyway, GCSE maths is something of an oxymoron. :heh:

GCSE maths is so pointless. I got full marks on all my GCSE maths exams and coursework (bar the stats coursework). They should make it harder or do a bit of A level stuff so then A level is much easier. Or do graduate stuff at a level.

I wouldn't say i like or dislike maths, it's just feels like something i'm doing just for the sake of it. I don't really think A level is harder than AS (from what i've seen), the majority of C3 is just differentiating/integrating and trig functions, though i haven't seen much of C4 yet.

Oh i also beat Moogle in C2 by 1 mark (both A's), i'm quite proud of that considering i never beat him in anything else :)

GCSE maths is so pointless. I got full marks on all my GCSE maths exams and coursework (bar the stats coursework). They should make it harder or do a bit of A level stuff so then A level is much easier. Or do graduate stuff at a level.

You've got to think about the masses, it's easy for you but not for everyone. I generally found all my GCSE's pretty easy but maths was the one I really had to work for. I scraped an A, if it'd been harder I would have struggled. But then we did have about 6 different teachers over the 2 years, one of which was an actual pervert who read The Sun in lessons (and this was a private school). Wow tangent, anyway I disagree! :heh:

C3 and 4 can be tricky, but are usually reasonable enough - I thought the hardest A-level modules were M3, DE and FP3. S gets easier the higher you go, oddly enough...