NEurope
Atomic Boo

Do my Penguin for me

Quick question!

The Bohr Shift in the blood occur s as a result of the increased acidity of the blood. This happens because increased levels of CO2 during periods of high respiration form H+ cations. However, at the same time, CO3- anions are being produced. The equation is as follows:

CO2+ H2O <--> H+ + HCO3−

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like equal molar concentrations of acidic H+ and alkaline HCO3- are being produced. If this is the case, why does the blood become more acidic. Shouldn't it remain the same as the two products cancel each other out?

Quick question!

The Bohr Shift in the blood occur s as a result of the increased acidity of the blood. This happens because increased levels of CO2 during periods of high respiration form H+ cations. However, at the same time, CO3- anions are being produced. The equation is as follows:

CO2+ H2O <--> H+ + HCO3−

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like equal molar concentrations of acidic H+ and alkaline HCO3- are being produced. If this is the case, why does the blood become more acidic. Shouldn't it remain the same as the two products cancel each other out?

Well, carbonic anhydrase makes the species H2CO3. In a solution at physiological pH it's going to dissociate into HCO3- and H+and you'll have an equilibrium set up between the dissociated and undissociated form. The higher the concentration of H2CO3, the more it will dissociate. The more it dissociates, the more acidic it becomes.

If I want to go into detail, H2CO3 has a reasonably low pKa (dissociation) value (apparently around 3.6) due to resonance stabilisation of the HCO3- anion. At pH7, the majority of H2CO3 molecules will be dissociated. The second pKa is around 10...so very few molecules will be completely dissociated to CO3(2-) and 2H+.

I think you're thinking a bit much about "standard" neutralisation with water as a product...water has a relatively high pKa (16) and so if you neutralise an acid to form water, you will not get significant redissociation, thus neutralising it.

Hope that helps!

Is anyone doing the FP1 exam tomoz?

Do you know if we have to know the related roots identities on page 108 of the MEI FP1 Textbook?

Ok could someone write me a 5000 word essay about my classroom practices concerning information literacy in the next 12 hours.

I would be much obliged. Cheers

Could someone please explain in laymans terms what a paradigm and a paradigmatic analysis is, I can't seem to understand it even with internet and dictionary definitions.

Paradigms are like different coloured lenses. So say you have a subject (perhaps a frog?). You can look at that subject through a yellow lens, a blue lens, a purple lens or whatever coloured lens. Like a lens, a paradigm is a way of looking at something (and there are many different paradigms, just like there are many different colours!).

The supporters of each paradigm think you should be looking through their lens, because it best explains the subject!

For instance, in my subject (political science), we had a paradigm that was pretty popular for a while called Behaviouralism. Its grand theory was that political behaviour was /best explained/ by rigid, systematic, quantative research (of political behaviour). Numbers and graphs and all that.

Other contending paradigms like Constructivism and positivism and postpositivism and so on say that Behaviouralists are talking shite: Numbers and graphs and all that are not the best way of explaining political behaviour. All these paradigms and the people that support them believe they /best explain/ the subject (political behaviour in this case).

There is usually a dominant paradigm, so there's a consensus that this particular paradigm is the most successful at explaining the subject.

When a new paradigm is judged to be better at explaining the subject than the dominant paradigm, the new paradigm becomes the dominant paradigm. That is a paradigm shift.

I presume paradigmatic analysis is making a judgement on a particular paradigm, as to whether it's up to the job or not.

Sorry, pretty shitty explanation but it's the best I got!

I need muchos help with this design I have to come up with!

Basically The Royal Festival Hall in London is putting on a series of concerts about World Music (Roots/Jazz). And I need to come up with a poster and logo design to promote it.

So was wondering does anybody here listen to or know about any World Music artists I could look up?

Not homework, but a frequent doubt. If E=mc^2, does that mean that matter can be turned into energy.

Not homework, but a frequent doubt. If E=mc^2, does that mean that matter can be turned into energy.

I always thought so, isnt that how the Atom Bomb works?

Shit, I changed it along the way, I meant, can Energy be turned into matter?

Shit, I changed it along the way, I meant, can Energy be turned into matter?

Yep, perfectly possible. It happens a lot in particle physics experiments.

That's the day when I gave up on learning physics, when they told me that as you approach a black hole and reach the critical speed of light that you simply cannot go any faster, and so obviously you just gain extra mass from nowhere, because that's what the formula says. Yep, getting mass from nowhere is less ridiculous than travelling a little bit faster.

That's the day when I gave up on learning physics, when they told me that as you approach a black hole and reach the critical speed of light that you simply cannot go any faster, and so obviously you just gain extra mass from nowhere, because that's what the formula says. Yep, getting mass from nowhere is less ridiculous than travelling a little bit faster.

It is, if you're trying to establish a theoretical framework that accurately explains things outside direct human experience. It may seem odd, but that's because you're evolved to function in the immediate world around you.

Anyone fully 1337 with actionscript?

I have two scenes, One has an input text box where a user enters there name and in the other there is a dynamic textbox which displays the name anyone know what i need to write in order to make it not be fail?

Not sure how anyone is with minerology or geology but ive been given some rocks to identify and i can get them all apart from this. All three are apparently the same rock but i havent got a clue :(

snc00022il5.jpgsnc00023ir4.jpgsnc00025ai6.jpgsnc00026eu4.jpg

I've already got sandstone and marble though :( we were told one of our rocks would be a 'strange' one. not sure what that means but this could be it.

Tuff, by my reckoning. Rhyolite is a different shade, and it's not microgranite or microrhyolite.

You think its an igneous rock then? I was thinking sedimentary due to the layers shown on one of them but i could be wrong

Well, the one on the left looks sedimentary, but the other two look metamorphic to me.

Disclaimer: I know very little about rocks.

I know thats whats so confusing! they are all supposed to be the same rock!

I'm a little confused. The one with the layers is almost definitely sedimentary, the other two are either metamorphic or igneous. I'm sticking with Tuff, or possibly something like Mylonite or, regarding the sedimentary one, siltstone or claystone.

Find the grain size, and I can help you more (and yes, I know it's probably microscopic...)