NEurope
Dante

Nintendo ends GameCube support

Nintendo of America’s Perrin Kaplan has confirmed that the company has ceased production of its last generation console, the GameCube, and will not release any further games for it.

Spong reports that whilst Nintendo still sees a place in the market for its struggling last-gen machine, manufacturing efforts have now shifted over to the likes of Wii, DS and Game Boy Advance.

“Are we producing any more GameCubes? No,” Nintendo of America’s vice president of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplin explained in an interview with GameDaily. “But do we have the inventory there for people to still purchase? Yes.

“Just like the PS2 sold really well this past holiday, GameCube is a great starter system – price, ease, games. Every one of the consoles has had its cycle and every single one of them has become a great starter system at the last leg of its cycle, and that's where GameCube's at.”

Kaplan also went on to confirm that Nintendo will not release any new games for the system – a decision reinforced by the company’s recent change of heart in relation to Super Paper Mario. That platformer was announced for GameCube at last year’s E3, but has since gone on to become a Wii-only title.

“If you're a core gamer you wouldn't buy a GameCube,” she continued. “It's not aimed at you anymore. But for new people as a starter system, how many games are there for them to pick from? Plenty.

“I mean, I wasn't the first to buy an iPod. By the time I bought it, it came to a price where I wanted it to be and looked the way I wanted it to look. So we're not selling GameCube to the people who are hardcore players and want all the gadgetry – we're going after the people who never really bought a system before now it’s finally at a price that they can afford for their family.”

www.mcvuk.com

Meh, expected really. I enjoyed GameCube while it lasted, but really when you make a purple box to go up against the year old Playstation 2, what are you thinking really?

GameCube was still worth it, with games like Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, the Resident Evil games etc. etc. I'm not bothered if PS2 had more to offer, I still don't know how anyone can say the GameCube was crap.

They cancelled support at a stupid time. Whilst the Wii is pretty much in low stock every where, they should of taken the oppertunity to push the cube one last time.

Ah well, bound to happen, suprised its at this point in time.

Oh the GameCube,we hardly knew ye'

Still loved it thought and not once have I regretted,and I never will.I will still play it and it's games for years to come.I just hope I can get a few more games though.

>_>

NintendoUK: Nintendo is still continuing production of GameCube hardware and GameCube software.

This must be some sort of Nintendo in-joke, let Kaplan make an announcement and then have someone else say the exact opposite just to create confusion..

I'm really tending not to bother believing Perrin anymore,the sort of "announcenments" she says turn out false.

I can't imagine anyone wanting a Gamecube now, especially as the Wii is fully backward compatible. Any last gasp push should've been with Zelda.

I can't imagine anyone wanting a Gamecube now, especially as the Wii is fully backward compatible. Any last gasp push should've been with Zelda.

The GBA Micro is still selling well, mainly because it is cheap. People will buy a GameCube because of the price.

The GBA Micro is still selling well, mainly because it is cheap. People will buy a GameCube because of the price.

And with hundreds of games already out for the GC, this is the perfect starter system for any new gamer.

well this was expected and it's about time. i always thought they should have killed off the n64 faster too. I mean games like paper mario would have been a great gamecube launch title instead of a forgotten n64 game