NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
scubahood

What actually is racism then?

The reason I ask this is mainly due to what I read on the front of the Daily Star today. Their headline and I quote them "Those Crazy Frogs" in regards to the French accusing United fans of causing some trouble at a football game or something. This coming from a paper that joined in with the whole branding Jade Goody a racist for calling Shilpa "Shilpa Popadom".

I myself never thought Jade Goody was being racist it was just light hearted words as is calling the French frogs but you can't brand one racist then start using similar terms yourself. What are the views of others on this?

Racism is when a white man calls a black man by any name that may be classed as slightly offensive even if it has nothing to do with race.

how ever anyone that is not white can say what they like and that is not racism.

i hope this has been cleared up for you.

First off, you really shouldn't be reading the Daily Star. :heh:

I wasn't reading it was putting out the papers at work and I always read the front pages.

I personally think racism is where you truly dislike someone and discriminate them in some form purely based on their ethnic background, religion, etc.

Racism is when a white man calls a black man by any name that may be classed as slightly offensive even if it has nothing to do with race.

how ever anyone that is not white can say what they like and that is not racism.

Excellent post, I was just about to post something along the same lines.

Well, the French aren't a race and I've never heard anyone say only white people can be racist.

Ahh, BlueStar! You've brought up something I hate when it comes to racism! What constitutes a 'race'? How can we define what a race is? Surely, we are all part of the human race? All white people are white, all black people are black, and there is the asians in between. White people from britain are different to white people from france, black people from britain are different to black people from france, and within each the white and black people are different from each other? Who's here to define it?

I had a debate once on this here internets and one apparently middle aged guy who insisted that it comes down to the actual bodily features and skull shapes etc, and nothing else such as culture. He also insisted he was too busy to keep replying to me, because he led such a busy life but was spending all his time on an mmorpg, but couldn't stop playing for reasons he couldn't disclose. Either way, that's not important, but I never got a chance to ask him what race a child of a black and a white person would be?

Even so, in resposne to the original post, The Daily Star were being kind of racist, and so was Jade. However, Jade's racism was more of an ignorant racism, the daily star's was not and they meant joking intent behind what they said(doesn't make it all right). Jade was stupid and had no idea she was doing it, which I think was worse. Sure, she didn't mean to be racist, but it doesn't mean she wasn't, though I do think it was blown out of proportion.

I also agree that to some extent in some circumstances racism is more inbalanced and biased against white people, but not always, and not that often. I think there's valid enough reason for how it came about too, from all the slavery and oppression initially by the whites. Of course, it doesn't apply anymore as it's all been done away with, and I believe everyone should be treated equally and judged for who they are, not what colour they were born and where they are from.

(the first part of my post is all hypothetical stuff, and I don't class asians as 'in-between' but it does tend to be all about black and white with racism)

This annoys me. It's true that this is the case in the UK at the moment. But it's still racism.

More importantly though we shouldn't start to discriminate against those who can get away with racism on this basis.

I personally think racism is where you truly dislike someone and discriminate them in some form purely based on their ethnic background, religion, etc.

That is exactly the way I feel.

This annoys me. It's true that this is the case in the UK at the moment. But it's still racism.

More importantly though we shouldn't start to discriminate against those who can get away with racism on this basis.

it annoyed the hell out of me too. i am not saying lets discriminate against the "ethnic minority" because of it. i am saying lets have the same rules for everyone.

Almost QFT, though I don't agree with the religion bit. That is an opinion, and you have every right to think someone's opinion is bullshit.

I should be able to say "I hate Christians/Muslims/Jews/Buddhists/Hindus/Sikhs/any other religion you care to name because I think they're beliefs are stupid and illogical."

They can choose what they want to believe, and if you think what they believe is wrong, and you dislike them for it, fair enough. I dislike Evangelical Christian's, as they believe it is their duty to go around trying convert all non-Christians to Christianity. They seem to have no understanding of the phrase "as I told you last time, fuck off, I think evolution is correct because there is evidence for it and it's more plausible than a magic man in the sky (for which there is no evidence) making it all."

My school has a lot of fuckwits like this in it...:mad:

However, no one has control over their ethnic background. It is totally unfair to say "American people are all idiots", as they had no control over the fact they where born to American parents.

The exception is if you could actually prove that all Americans are idiots, which you can't because they're not.

Almost QFT, though I don't agree with the religion bit. That is an opinion, and you have every right to think someone's opinion is bullshit.

I should be able to say "I hate Christians/Muslims/Jews/Buddhists/Hindus/Sikhs/any other religion you care to name because I think they're beliefs are stupid and illogical."

So, because you disagree with their views, it means you hate them? I don't see the logic in that.

However, no one has control over their ethnic background. It is totally unfair to say "American people are all idiots", as they had no control over the fact they where born to American parents.

The exception is if you could actually prove that all Americans are idiots, which you can't because they're not.

But what about people who are born into religion? I was born a Muslim, and I was just brought up that way.

But what about people who are born into religion? I was born a Muslim, and I was just brought up that way.

Interesting point, I used to be of the idea that Religion is still a choice as such, but skin colour is completely uncontrollable. Would it be fairer to hate someone because of how they've been brought up, than to hate someone because of the colour of their skin?

I believe that the small difference between stating your opinion and racism is how much you know about what your talking about

It is a negative judgement of someone based on their race. But often I feel that the tone of voice is key to whether a statement has racial intent or not, like if it sound insulting or merely suggestive.

"The stereotype of scientists being scruffy nerds with rows of pens in their top pocket is just about as wicked as racist stereotypes." -Richard Dawkins.

A very funny quote from Chris Rock "Whos more racist black people or white people? Black people and you wanna know why because black people hate black people to. You see theres black people and then theres niggers and boy oh boy I hate niggers."

hmm i always think that religion can't define a persons race, i always saw it as what country they originally came from...

So, because you disagree with their views, it means you hate them? I don't see the logic in that.

Firstly, that's just an example, not my personal opinion, and secondly, I worded it badly.

As someone else has said, it's still a matter of choice. My sister and I were brought up as Christians (hence the reason I'm at a Christian school), but I, along with my mum, dad, and, now, my sister, have all become atheist or agnostic.

That's quite worrying.

Awesome post. And totally correct.

Ahh, BlueStar! You've brought up something I hate when it comes to racism! What constitutes a 'race'? How can we define what a race is? Surely, we are all part of the human race? All white people are white, all black people are black, and there is the asians in between. White people from britain are different to white people from france, black people from britain are different to black people from france, and within each the white and black people are different from each other? Who's here to define it?

I had a debate once on this here internets and one apparently middle aged guy who insisted that it comes down to the actual bodily features and skull shapes etc, and nothing else such as culture. He also insisted he was too busy to keep replying to me, because he led such a busy life but was spending all his time on an mmorpg, but couldn't stop playing for reasons he couldn't disclose. Either way, that's not important, but I never got a chance to ask him what race a child of a black and a white person would be?

Even so, in resposne to the original post, The Daily Star were being kind of racist, and so was Jade. However, Jade's racism was more of an ignorant racism, the daily star's was not and they meant joking intent behind what they said(doesn't make it all right). Jade was stupid and had no idea she was doing it, which I think was worse. Sure, she didn't mean to be racist, but it doesn't mean she wasn't, though I do think it was blown out of proportion.

I also agree that to some extent in some circumstances racism is more inbalanced and biased against white people, but not always, and not that often. I think there's valid enough reason for how it came about too, from all the slavery and oppression initially by the whites. Of course, it doesn't apply anymore as it's all been done away with, and I believe everyone should be treated equally and judged for who they are, not what colour they were born and where they are from.

(the first part of my post is all hypothetical stuff, and I don't class asians as 'in-between' but it does tend to be all about black and white with racism)

White, Black and Asian are races. To be French is a nationality.

I agree. You can't help your race (unless you're Jacko). But Religion is an idea, a theology. People can change their religion, it's a choice, an idea. As soon as we lose the right to criticse and mock another man's ideas, we have lost the most fundamental of freedoms.

I think for the purpose of simplicity in this thread we should probably take "racism" to mean "xenophobia and racism".

I agree. You can't help your race (unless you're Jacko). But Religion is an idea, a theology. People can change their religion, it's a choice, an idea. As soon as we lose the right to criticize and mock another man's ideas, we have lost the most fundamental of freedoms.

QFT, as it was a perfect way of putting what I was trying to explain. +80 respect points.

Ok then, so what is it if you are being discriminant against a french person? Nationalism? What race is the child of a white and black person? I think it's much more than just skin colour, it's culture and background. As I said though, playing with definitions makes things tricky.

Ok then, so what is it if you are being discriminant against a french person? Nationalism? What race is the child of a white and black person? I think it's much more than just skin colour, it's culture and background. As I said though, playing with definitions makes things tricky.

It's called Xenophobia.

Sign in to follow this