NEurope
stuwii

FIFA 2008

To be fair to EA they have put a lot of effort into the Wii and really pushed the hardware from a control point of view. If fifas crap its not from a lack of trying.

Sure, but that shouldn't mean they should cut out large portions of the game for the sake of control-based mini-games, it should be an addition not sacrificial inclusion. This is where you have to make a decision; Game content Vs Controls.

Sure, but that shouldn't mean they should cut out large portions of the game for the sake of control-based mini-games, it should be an addition not sacrificial inclusion. This is where you have to make a decision; Game content Vs Controls.

QFT , EA may have started off quite well supporting the Wii , but this years sports updates so far have followed the same pattern - drop loads of stuff to include pointless crap that the majority don't want.

It royally pissed me off when they did the same to Madden this year , I just hope that other developers don't decide that this is the future of Wii gaming.

You know...I'd rather have the minigames.

Instead of Be a Pro or Manager mode?

I'd rather have Family play or the mini games and Manager Mode rather than taking a large part of the original game out for something that will be rarely used.

Sorry if I sounded a little 'aggressive' guys, just really, really disappointed. So far most of my Wii purchses have been disappointing ones...I thought Super Mario Paper and this would sort of end that.

I didnt realise they' dtaken loads of stuff OUT of the game, why would they do that? Why would they take stuff away, it doesnt make any sense.

You say they did the same for Madden too? I hope they realise that the shit sales of this years madden comapred to last years madden is all their fault then!!

I do know that the Wii version does not have manager (career) mode.

You must be kidding

I didn't realise the Career mode was missing...but I am can confirm it is....

Got this in early at work and had a quick browse of the decidely thin instruction manual and it for the most part seems to focus on the mini games and controls as well as the mini games. the controls seem a bit odd like they may take some getting used to, a few oddites in there I feel...

Online gets two pages at the end, explaining how to register online at ea.com to play as well as the interactive leagues work etc...

Personally think I will hang fire I think and get Football Manager 08 and Pro Evo Wii for my footballing needs this year...

Just got an email from GAME saying that my copy has been despatched! Can't wait to see what it's like :D

Not that fussed about a career mode as im mainly getting it to play online against mates!

onm is out in the next few dates so see what they say but surely they hav somethin instead of carrer mode or do u just hav 2 play games and get nothin?

IGN UK give it 7.9. I was hoping it might have got a bit more...

FIFA 08 on Wii is great fun then. It's not the super-realistic football experience the next-gen versions provides but that's not the point of FIFA on Wii. Instead it's much more about quick-paced action and controls that are easy to pick up, and in that respect it succeeds admirably. Yes, there may be some issues with the waggle and the more complex ball techniques but it won't really affect the fun you can have with the game.

But then they say that the game is fun... so its still a tempter!

The review is here: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/823/823024p1.html

well the review makes it sound ok....I still think I'll wait to see what Pro Evo is like...

Just realised the online mode is a swizz;

Also commendable is the inclusion of online mode in FIFA 08, although it does require you to register for EA Sports' own servers. Once online, you can participate in the EA Sports Interactive League, which sees you choosing your favourite club and then playing through real-life fixtures. Your results are then combined with those of supporters of the same team to produce an overall league of teams based on players' match results. Sadly, this means you don't actually 'play' against another person in a match. Instead, you just take part in AI matches and the results have worldwide ramifications. It's a shame there are no online matches but it's another bit of added value and offers an extra thrill when you're playing through tense matches.

The online community was the only bit interesting me in this!

Hate to sound like a dickhole, but I told y'all so...

Still would like to play it though, albeit without any expectations at all.

Well IGN really liked the PS2 version so I might have to go for that version. I am a bit confused about the online situation for Wii, are we able to play against our friends and strangers online? Or is it just that interactive league stuff?

Nevermind it's not playable ONLINE against another person AFTERALL.

I've read it properly what kind of crap are they trying to pull off?

First they took out Be a Pro and Career mode for the Family Mode and Mini games now this..

I guess it's still alright if you want to play casually with a few mates though.

Well IGN really liked the PS2 version so I might have to go for that version. I am a bit confused about the online situation for Wii, are we able to play against our friends and strangers online? Or is it just that interactive league stuff?

Sounds like you can't play a "unranked" match.

You don't play anyone online from the sounds of things, you just match your select teams fixtures playing A.I teams and then it syncs these results to the interactive leagues...thats the best idea of it I can make out from IGN and from briefly reading the instruction manual...

I'll repeat my quote from earlier;

Sadly, this means you don't actually 'play' against another person in a match. Instead, you just take part in AI matches and the results have worldwide ramifications. It's a shame there are no online matches but it's another bit of added value and offers an extra thrill when you're playing through tense matches.

Hmmm...it sounds kinda fun, but I'm seriously annoyed about the lack of a career mode. I just know it's going to disappoint me now. Couple that with the fact that I'm not going to get it in time for the release day (thanks bloody play.com) and I'm just a seething mass of disillusioned Wii football-ness...or something.

My fingers are crossed still...

Just read this comment off IGN:

"The reviewer has made a mistake..... there IS in fact a head-to-head online vs mode complete with leaderboards and online lobby and matchmaking system. I had to go back and double and triple check this after I read this review to re-confirm. I've played at least 5 online games already."

Just read this comment off the IGN:

"The reviewer has made a mistake..... there IS in fact a head-to-head online vs mode complete with leaderboards and online lobby and matchmaking system. I had to go back and double and triple check this after I read this review to re-confirm. I've played at least 5 online games already."

well thats sounding more like it and does make more sense...

i think it was just sayin the game u play for your team arent against real people but it could of mentioned the other mode

Basically it's like Mario strikers online unranked matches or ranked matches through the EA lobby or randomly.

Someone else has to confirm this though.

I'll have another read of the instruction manual at work...it didn't mention anything about getting peoples names/codes (however EA servers work? names I think)

from official site;

# Manager Mode Improvements – New features include pre-season friendlies to test your team before a campaign, new training options to hone your squad of players and dynamic board expectations that change depending on your successes … or failures.

# Online Football Clubs (PlayStation®2) — Form your own group of like-minded football fans to take on all challengers online and create a Football Club. Gain status among the online community by helping your Football Club climb the rankings. Win more points based on the importance of the match, like playing Interactive Leagues or challenging other Football Clubs to a grudge-match tournament.

thats all it mentions...

I'll repeat my quote from earlier;

That sounds like it's referring to that online mode only. Not online as a whole.

I just found out today that teams from Irelands league (the Eircom league) are in this for the first time.... this alone has suddenly made me interested in wanting this game

Still would like to play it though, albeit without any expectations at all.

...Thats just how it feels with most of the Wii games so far. Nintendo should really try to intervene more with what 3rd parties release on the Wii. They only seem concerned about their own games, and then we end up only looking forward to and place all our hope on only a handful of games...Now Metroid and Galaxy have a lot of expectation to live up to. Tut.