NEurope
stuwii

FIFA 2008

I like the camera angle by the way. It makes more sense from a gameplay perspective than the traditional way.

I agree with that. I've been playing PES6 on the PC using a similar angle of play just to get myself prepared, and it's actually really surprised me just how different the game feels. In a good way. I think a Kop view like this is a great idea.

It all hinges on the controls now. Please don't fluff it up EA!

Interesting that. Obviously I don't like the sound of that "Family Play" option for the gameplay, but I can see how the little 'un might go for that when she plays mum or whatever. But overall I think this is going to be great. The gameplay looks much snappier than last year, but I suppose we say that every year don't we? :D

It's looking tight. Fifa really is catching up to the way overrated PES, and really, it may even be better than it this year!

Anyone else out there who thinks waggle doesn't translate well to soccer? The perspective change is one thing, but using hand gestures to shoot is just plain silly.

The "Hand of God"-gesture could be nicely implemented though ;)

Anyone else out there who thinks waggle doesn't translate well to soccer? The perspective change is one thing, but using hand gestures to shoot is just plain silly.

The "Hand of God"-gesture could be nicely implemented though ;)

*signs decleration of agreement*

Heres hoping for a Classic controller configuration...<.< uh, I'll be calling it CCC for now.

I think if any developer just sticks "generic waggle" into any game, then I would be very disappointed. Motion sensing hardware in a football game on the other hand, is a tremendous, potentially revolutionary method of controlling a football game imo. I can't understand why people get upset at the idea of using gestures in games. It kind of reminds of the rebellious bunch who complained about analogue sticks when they were introduced.

I don't see how using a movement of the hand to shoot a ball is any different to using my thumbs to do it when all is said and done.

If EA expect me to leap around the living room waving the remote like a wally in order to control the players then I for one would be plenty miffed. But if they subtly integrate motion sensing into the game properly and intelligently, then they get my money. Leaping around is for adverts.

First of all, I'll have to play the game before I pass any derogatory judgment (as with any game that's the least bit intriguing).

Secondly, at the risk of "reading" judgmental, people shouldn't generalize, nor should they put words in other people's mouths (or in this case, fingers). I'm all in for revolutionary control methods, never said I wasn't ;)

The gamepad is simply a basic tool of imput, and seeing that humans are most skilled with their hands, we control it with exactly that. And not our feet, for instance. Or fingers and not toes, if you will.

Fact of the matter is, the basic principle of the Wii and its control scheme is to enhance intuitive control. Now, getting used to this new way of handling can be quite the hurdle to overcome, as you've grown accustomed to ye olde way of playing, but after the acclimatization is finished, you'll oftentimes don't want go back - exactly because you feel that it has been "translated" better to motion gestures than it had to a controller.

What Fifa 2008 here seems to do, is, in my humble opinion, impose a method of play that's counter-intuitive. Indeed, some of you may even know that football (or "soccer" as some call it) is played by foot!

Now, even should they release some footstraps or such, I'd still be critical of the concept. In all fairness, I just don't think that football can have any other way of input in games than a controller, just like you need your feet to play it in real life.

In conclusion: playing Fifa 2008 is looking as practical as using a gamepad with your toes.

I honestly don't see how controlling FIFA using motion sensing in this way is going to be any more difficult to get used to than when I first started playing, say, Resident Evil 4 on Wii after the GC version. Or Excite Truck's subtle tilts after years of thumbing Burnout's vehicles. There was certainly an acclimatising period at first, but now I could never go back to the GC Resi for example. But yep, you can't underestimate that initial "Wha...the...?" :D

I agree that there may be some who'll try it and go, "no thanks" and wander back to their 360's for footie fun. But until the game actually makes an appearance I remain open-minded of the concept, and I do believe it'll work very well and be testament to the subtlety of the Wii remote. It looks to me to be respectfully implemented. If they'd released a leg strap I would have been very upset, because to me that's just a gimmick designed for adverts, and wouldn't enhance the game one iota.

But from what I've seen of the videos so far, I'm quite pleased with the approach and reckon it'll suit the Wii well. Now the Wii has really taken off, sports games are going to be hugely important in it's future. I don't think EA will mess this up with ad pleasing "waggle". I think they'll get this right because they simply must. I certainly hope so anyway. I'll be heartbroken if they bugger it up!

I'll be heartbroken if they bugger it up!

Hush now, I'll be there to comfort you ;):p

Hush now, I'll be there to comfort you ;):p

Hehe! Keep that shoulder handy, I might need to have a weep on it if they fluff it up!

I think the thing is, I have no doubts that the Wii controller could be used in a subtle manner to enhance a football game. The Wii remote's integrity is not under question to me. The only thing that could go wrong is if EA don't implement it well.

I remain pretty confident that it'll be good though, based on what I've seen so far. I'm still keeping my pre-order, and looking forward to it.

I think this could end up working really well from what I have seen, some of the gestures etc... are very clever so why not hey?

I think this could end up working really well from what I have seen, some of the gestures etc... are very clever so why not hey?

Thats what I've been thinkin too, Flamester. Of course I'll be wanting to see reviews and stuff closer to its release but I'm genuinely interested in seeing how this one turns out.

Thats what I've been thinkin too, Flamester. Of course I'll be wanting to see reviews and stuff closer to its release but I'm genuinely interested in seeing how this one turns out.

yeah I'm hoping some reviews will surface before its release, its out of the end of the month so heres hoping something begins to surface...

And using a controller makes any more sense?

!!! :/

...If you freaking want to play a good game of football, get the heck outside and kick a damn ball! What the freak do you want? Wii remotes strapped to your feet?! Freaking hell...

We toyed with the idea of strapping the remotes to your ankles or something, King V. If done well it'd obviously work but sure holding the remote and nunchuck to make gestures with your hands is more logical, even if it is a footy game.

Anyway, I checked out a few things on gametrailers last week, and this sounds like it could be worth owning. I'm by no means a big Fifa fan though I do own 04, but that was cos I needed some footy action on the GameCube. With this coming out at the end of September, as Flameboy said, there should hopefully be reviews appearing soon.

...If you freaking want to play a good game of football, get the heck outside and kick a damn ball! What the freak do you want? Wii remotes strapped to your feet?! Freaking hell...

Haha, piss off will you. You could say that about most games. Want to play golf? Go to a golf course. Want to shoot people? Join the army. You didn't address my point either. I want to know how using a classic controller makes more sense than using the nunchuck and wiimote.

Honestly, just fuck off. You fail.

Haha, piss off will you. You could say that about most games. Want to play golf? Go to a golf course. Want to shoot people? Join the army. You didn't address my point either. I want to know how using a classic controller makes more sense than using the nunchuck and wiimote.

Honestly, just fuck off. You fail.

Pressing buttons to perform actions in any game is reasonable enough. However, 'shake the remote to pass' seems unnecessary. If you really want to replicate the act of playing realistic football in a game, nothing tops ACTUALLY playing the game (of football). I feel waggle now needs a defining line before it all gets ridiculous.

Well to be honest you could say that about pretty much any game. Lets just give them a chance eh, see what they come up with.

Well to be honest you could say that about pretty much any game. Lets just give them a chance eh, see what they come up with.

You mean, if I want to speak to toads in the Mushroom Kingdom, have fire power and transport via pipelines, I...can? ;p

I agree. This whole discussion has gotten very silly indeed. It sounds like people are complaining about having to use a new type of controller with this game, and would be much happier using a regular pad for it. The idea that footie on a console is more realistic/correct using thumbs to control it is silly, and I would have thought that simply by owning Wii's we'd be up for the idea of a new way of controlling a football game. I maintain that if EA just put in a generic waggle to pass the ball, then I'll be fecked off. But, if they subtly implement the Wii remote motion sensing to enhance the gameplay then this could be amazing.

The Wii remote has proved it can do great things and enhance games you thought you knew. The only thing in question in my mind is the developers ability to utilise it cleverly.

But as Demuwan says, let's just see what they come up with. I'm buying it for sure, so if it turns out crap, I'll be sure and post up my honest opinion.

Pressing buttons to perform actions in any game is reasonable enough. However, 'shake the remote to pass' seems unnecessary. If you really want to replicate the act of playing realistic football in a game, nothing tops ACTUALLY playing the game (of football). I feel waggle now needs a defining line before it all gets ridiculous.

perhaps taking things abit too far. I play football once a week for a local team doesn't stop me wanting to play Fifa and use some waggle though...