NEurope
stuwii

FIFA 2008

This is more like Pro Evo 3 and 4 but with the whole FIFA licence and an excellent online mode with sharp motion controls added on top. If that sounds like your kind of game, buy, buy, buy!

This is more like Pro Evo 3 and 4 but with the whole FIFA licence and an excellent online mode with sharp motion controls added on top. If that sounds like your kind of game, buy, buy, buy!

Whats the shooting and the passing like. If they are deep and fluid Im getting it tommorow!

You guys may have just convinced me to buy it tommorow.

Think is Im an avid pro fan. I like my football fluid and realistic and most importantly fun.

Should I still get it tommorow!?

Caution! I love the game and I was a PES nut, but I always say - try it out first. It might be my thing, but maybe not yours and I couldn't stand the thought of you hating me for wasting your cash.

But! As I say I love the game. There's quite a learning curve from a controls point of view, but if you're up for that you'll have fun. I'm only just starting to use the tricks in-game and I've had it a full week tomorrow, simply because there's a lot of basics to take in first. It's complicated, no doubt, but I can honestly say it's my favourite footie game ever. After all the mumping on the net, I wouldn't want to go back to a GC pad or whatever because the Wii setup is really rewarding. All we need now for the Wii is a full compliment of modes like the other consoles. Next year then!

The game can be a battle in midfield as defenses are extremely good when playing the better teams. I actually prefer playing in the lower leagues! But the passing, shooting mechanic is fluid indeed. There is no slow down and buttons/motions respond instantly. Shooting is, initially hard as it's easy to just slash in the air and forget to hold a direction with the nunchuck. But after that you'll be playing like a pro.

Dam postal strikes mean I won't be getting this until Monday earliest.

Not pleased, gonna have to whore Metroid Prime 2 over the weekend now :(. God, I haven't even touched Super Paper Mario yet :P.

I've yet to win on that DAMN table-football. I get like 4-0 up and Ronaldinho stages some incredible 4-5 turnaround. It is IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have hat BURNING sensation inside as I haven't won since buying the game. It's so unfair and solid!!! Great in multiplayer but the dddaaaaamn computer!! (Rant over!) SOO annoyed

YESSSS!!!! I BEAT HIM!! (lol)

Do you have to play the goof to unloc the other tables I guess?

Also FAMILY play is AWFUL! Played it with my girlfriend thinking we culd finally get some footy action together, but no, EA make is shit, the computer does EVERYTHING for you - passing, tackling everything, except shoot. So my gfriend just watched and then swung when she got close to the goals!! How stupid! She can pass pressing A bu the computer does it too, and much quicker than you do or want to. Its just plain shit. Why oh why it does all your passing for you I have no idea!!! Great idea badly implemented!

Indeed Dazzy, the passing should have been ALL MINE I TELL YOU. My grandad was playing this with me and just got so entranced with it that he just started to watch the game and forget to randomly "slash". He said it was just like watching a real game. Bless him. He said it was fun, (whilst I made ALL the runs) cheers pops. Family Play is a good step but I agree that the passing should have completely been at the players mercy.

Bought it today.

Enjoying it so far, but the controls are a lot to remember.

Hopefully I'll grasp it soon.

Sorry to bump this back up, but I actually had a keeper sent off today! Not my team - the AI one, but nevertheless I have to say this has never happened in any other football game I've ever played. Their keeper bundled over my striker as he dashed into the box, and was sent off accordingly. I was well shocked! Only let down was that the player they replaced him with never donned the keeper's shirt, he just stayed in his outfield strip. Shame! But still eh?

They say this is very arcade like, rather than slow like the 360 version. I've only ever owned one footie game, ISS64 (THE king of football games). However this tempts me simply for the fantastic table football.

Faster and more arcade like

...But loses none of the depth for it!

Zechs, I have to say that for some strange reason, this game reminds me of ISS98 big time. I dunno why....maybe it's the pace, but it definitely reminds me of it. If you get the chance to play it give it a go.

Bought it and after today am Loving It.

Real difference for me is when you score a goal because of the shooting it actually feels like you scored it so it is SO satisfying.

A lot of stuff to take on from the beggining but once you begin to grasp it, it really feels great! Still using Freemotion camera and it works great.

Multiplayer is a lot of fun.

has this game got the option for manual passing and shooting or is it all CPU assisted?

has this game got the option for manual passing and shooting or is it all CPU assisted?

No, it's all manually done with the remote and nunchuck. The only time there's any auto passing and movement is if you select the remote-only Family Play mode. It's a bit naff and I don't think anyone bothers with it really. The manual Advanced Play with nunchuck is where it's at.

I think he means is the shooting computer assisted like it has been in past fifa's whereby the computer helps place the shot for you..

Really? Oh sorry. I can't recall a recent FIFA where the CPU placed the direction on the shot for you. You usually have to pick your place with the analogue stick, and it's the same with the Wii version.

Is that what you meant?

Really? Oh sorry. I can't recall a recent FIFA where the CPU placed the direction on the shot for you. You usually have to pick your place with the analogue stick, and it's the same with the Wii version.

Is that what you meant?

Thats what I meant....think thats what he meant, but yeah often is a little bit of assist on shots...

For the passing you can place it like pro evo in the fact that you can have a manual pass (as in press A) and a searching pass (hold A and swipe in direction or press the D-Pad).

I'm pretty sure that if you just swing to shoot it's just straight infront of you, but if you hold a direction it's in that direction.

If you swipe downwards it's a finesse (placed) shot with less power and upwards is a generic more-powerful shot.

Either way there is plenty of choice. And I agree. It plays like ISS98. For some reason it also makes me think this is what ISS2 on the GC should have been like. It's very precise and intense. And in multiplayer it can be a riot. Brilliantly unexpected :)

...It's very precise and intense. And in multiplayer it can be a riot. Brilliantly unexpected :)

And there it is, right there! Sums the game up perfectly. :smile:

guys what i mean by manual passing is where you determine the direction and speed of the pass all by yourself.

You also get similar options for lobbed passes, through-balls and shooting.

It's a completely natural and intuitive implementation. PES does not offer this yet. Check the control settings when playing the game and see if the option for manual passing/shooting is included.

No, I cannot see anything for this in the instruction booklet. What games currently offer this mode as Pro Evo doesn't (as you stated). How is it better? Isn't it harder to play a pass into space thus hoping a CPU character (before you take manual control) takes you towards the ball? it sounds difficult. I know it can work for long balls but for short passing in the midfield isn't direction passing better?

I'm sure if you hold A longer (ala PES) it plays to the further away player. isn't that similar to gauging the power yourself??

I'm interested, reply in good time :)