NEurope
stuwii

FIFA 2008

Pressing buttons to perform actions in any game is reasonable enough. However, 'shake the remote to pass' seems unnecessary. If you really want to replicate the act of playing realistic football in a game, nothing tops ACTUALLY playing the game (of football). I feel waggle now needs a defining line before it all gets ridiculous.

Never before in a football console game can you chose a direction to pass or lob pass and still control the movement of your players. The Wii version will make doing that easy.

In certain games, the Wii Remote/Ninchuck makes it easily possible to do things that really should be standard. Things like driving, aiming and shooting at the same time in a GTA-like game.

Never before in a football console game can you chose a direction to pass or lob pass and still control the movement of your players. The Wii version will make doing that easy.

In certain games, the Wii Remote/Ninchuck makes it easily possible to do things that really should be standard. Things like driving, aiming and shooting at the same time in a GTA-like game.

Those functions can all be done on a standard controller IMO. Its just like Link running and slashing or riding and slashing in TP, they seemed impossible on a GC controller but it was done.

Those functions can all be done on a standard controller IMO. Its just like Link running and slashing or riding and slashing in TP, they seemed impossible on a GC controller but it was done.

It isn't impossible for things to be done in games with button presses- its been like that forever sure, so why is it suprising that your example of Link was seemingly impossible to fit into a normal controller?

Anyhow, the Wii isn't about changing about what can actually be done in a game, its about making it feel more natural and more, dare I say it... fun! Like Wii Sports, there have been plenty of tennis, baseball, bowling, golfing and boxing games over the years, but the beauty of the Wii is the immersion and interactivity, no?

And if EA can incorporate these kinds of natural feeling gestures and features into Fifa 08, then they could be onto a winner and we could finally have a Fifa game that's significantally different to the year before!

Those functions can all be done on a standard controller IMO.

It ain't exactly comfortable or easy to use two analogue sticks, one/two shoulder button and one/two face buttons all at one, is it?

My point is that the Wii controls can make doing a lot of stuff more comfortable. Not having your hands cooped up together helps, too.

Edit: Your example uses an analogue stick and one (and on occasions, two) face buttons. That ain't exactly hard is it?

It ain't exactly comfortable or easy to use two analogue sticks, one/two shoulder button and one/two face buttons all at one, is it?

My point is that the Wii controls can make doing a lot of stuff more comfortable. Not having your hands cooped up together helps, too.

Edit: Your example uses an analogue stick and one (and on occasions, two) face buttons. That ain't exactly hard is it?

Okay, agreed. But if the same functions in the same game can be performed with either a regular controller and the Wii remote, both arguments are even, because it can be done. Mastery of the controls is down to the individual.

does this support classic/gamecube controller?

Ta

I doubt it, if Madden on Wii is anything to go by EA seem very keen to get games going with wiimote centric play.

Cheers, I'll leave it if it doesn't support classic control

You'll be missing out. Surely thats why you bought the Wii to see how new control schemes work with the wiimote? Overwise whats the point in playing something like FIFA on the Wii with a classic control when it will look better with normal controls on 360/PS3.

I have a Wii due to my loyalty to Nintendo and my love of Mario, Zelda and countless other characters and games.

Sadly I don't feel that Fifa will be a game that really makes the most of the Wii's unique controls, and that any "waggle" will soon become tiresome, certainly on a game that will get such a large amount of game play in my household.

The videos I've seen have failed to convince me otherwise, of course I will wait for the reviews, but I can't see me buying this.

Just a note about the wiimote I feel developers and gamers should possibly note/respect more. It's the simple fact of MOVING the wiimote in midair. It's almost like an in-space controller offering many possibilities. And making the lack of buttons redundant.

The slamming gesture in Mario Strikers felt brilliant and MILES better than pressing a button to tackle. You're involved see? FIFA has the opportunity for jostling with other players via subtle spacial gestures. And saving penalties with a combination of nunchuck/wiimote movements in set directions (mimicking real-life diving) like the throw-ins. Therein lies the Wii genius. The ideas, the refreshing breath put into old franchises. Opportunity and FUN!

I'm looking forward to this one.

I have a Wii due to my loyalty to Nintendo and my love of Mario, Zelda and countless other characters and games.

Sadly I don't feel that Fifa will be a game that really makes the most of the Wii's unique controls, and that any "waggle" will soon become tiresome, certainly on a game that will get such a large amount of game play in my household.

The videos I've seen have failed to convince me otherwise, of course I will wait for the reviews, but I can't see me buying this.

Loyalty and love? What crazy reasons to buy a video games system. I have a Wii because I see the potential of a new way of controlling games. I've long been a fan of Nintendo since the NES days, but as for loyalty...I'll save feelings like that for things that matter other than videogames.

And thankyou Tapedeck for underlining the difference between motion sensing and this "waggle" that people seem to talk about. I would have thought that as Wii owners we would be aware of the difference after playing games like Resident Evil 4 and Excite Truck and Sports etc, but it seems sadly not to be the case. Apparently all we're doing when we play Wii games is "waggling" a stick.

I say again, I haven't seen anything in the new FIFA videos that gives me the impression that you'll be just waggling a stick to play. It seems to me they're trying hard to implement the Wii remote cleverly and sensibly. Until it proves itself either way, I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be good I reckon.

Looks good very sharp if they can nail the controls and make the graphics AT LEAST respectable I will get this for the Wii.

I am really impressed with Fifa 08 for both Wii and the other next gen consoles. Normally I'm a Pro Evo fan but this year hasnt persuaded me that PES 2008 will have enough of an improvement. Hopefully we'll find out more about Pro Evo Wii soon so that I can make a choice between Fifa and PES for the Wii. Unfortunately I do not have a 360 or PS3.

The video which Mikey provided a link also basically confirms that we can change the camera angle to the original style.

I'm going to be honest. On what little we've seen of Winning Eleven I reckon this will be better as I don't feel Konami are going to give us a proper football game with it.

And as i started this thread can you please all answer this- if you export a side in fifa 06 do injuries remain?

And as i started this thread can you please all answer this- if you export a side in fifa 06 do injuries remain?

wish I could help mate...

Woah! This will be online!!? Definetly will get this.

yep...

wish some reviews had sprung up by now...reviews of other versions have started to come out... I'm still undecided whether to get this as might not find the time to play it...

Ahhhh, how I laugh when I see gameplay videos of this compared to PES... And that coming from an ex-Fifa devotee is not to be taken lightly, I assure you that.

Good to see the game in motion in the more common view.

Still looks stale when compared to that other football game though.

Oh, and by the way, the "waggle" to tackle in SMS felt tacky. Could'n get used to it, which led to me trading the game for Zelda (which I adore).