NEurope
Nintenchris

Road Pricing Petition

I think the idea is you pay more on busy roads, and during busy times, hopefully reducing congestion.

So, basically, the people who need to travel on these busy roads at these busy times to get to work every day are fucked?

So, basically, the people who need to travel on these busy roads at these busy times to get to work every day are fucked?

Exactly

Some people have no choice, they have to go by car. The Goverment knows this and see's it as a way to gain money.

Well the Congestion Charge has worked in London, and this is the same principle. Admittedly though, public transport provision in the capital is leagues ahead of any other town or city in the UK. I have mixed opinions on the whole thing; there are a numerous good and bad points. Suffice to say, the public have made themselves heard, and I don't see it happening for a good while.

Well the Congestion Charge has worked in London, and this is the same principle. Admittedly though, public transport provision in the capital is leagues ahead of any other town or city in the UK. I have mixed opinions on the whole thing; there are a numerous good and bad points. Suffice to say, the public have made themselves heard, and I don't see it happening for a good while.

Fair point tbh. Though I still disagree with this new system. After all, some people need to use cars as transport, plus public transport is hardly efficient these days.

I'm currently learning to drive, so this doesn't effect me so much to be fair. Then again, by the time something on this develops, I'd be driving with a proper license. Plus, what would driving schools/instructors do? Costs for lessons would be dramatically increased and will put more people off driving. Public transport would get jam-packed if this is the case...

However, it probably will take a long while for this system to come into action, so I'm not going to panic too much yet.

I live in London and I dont think it has worked.

I live near the blackwall tunnel and traffic has now risen there due to people avoiding central London so they dont have to pay £8. In the morning and evening rush hours the congestion there is stupid and its the same all around the congestion charging zone.

People who have to drive into London (work etc) still do and therefore either charge their customers more to cover congestion or pay out of their own pocket.

Congestion Charge would work if transport costs were lowered.. but they are not. They have just risen to £2 for a single bus journey and £4 for a single tube journey!! yes £4!!! I remember when it was 30p for a bus journey....how times have changed Mr Livingstone.

Prices like that force people back into their cars as it works out cheaper and easier.

It's all about gaining more money anyway they can hidden by a cloud that is saving the environment.

If the government bring in this road tax that will charge people per mile they travel, i'm moving out of this country. I think that the government tax people enough as it is on everything and with the already high council taxes in force.

Car tax at the moment is good enough and it will be cheaper to keep this running instead of the new system which can charge up to £1 a mile. Over a course of a year, this would come to roughly £20,000 a year per car if someone traveled 50 miles a day at £1 a mile. C'mon car tax is roughly £150 a year which is a snippet of this cost. How rich do the government think we are.

As i said earlier, i'd leave this country if it came into force and go somewhere where this system isn't and where they speak English or a language that is easy to learn.

What Blair says makes sense, but I feel sorry for those who live in remove areas and must use a car. As for Londoners and big city goers, they would have a choice between using cars and public transport. If they choose to pay the new tax, they can stick to cars. That's their choice. I think it's fair enough.