N-Europe

Wireless internet questions

Apple_NdiB

I've just ordered a Wireless router so I can go online with my Wii, but I didn't really read up on what I'll need to make it all work. My PC is getting on a bit, so I also ordered a USB thingy to go into it. Will I need to configure the router on my computer before I can use it with my Wii, and is the USB adapter enough to make sure my computer will work with it?

Cheers.

Yeah the USB adapter should have no problems communicating with it. You do need to connect up the router to your PC first, tell it how to properly communicate with your PC and how to get online (will all be in the router's user guide). Then once its ready to go its really easy to get your Wii online. You just go to start a new connection in the Wii options and it will find your router and connect right up.

I came here from seeing your post in the thread where everyone was being a bit mean to a poor guy who didn't know what he was talking about.

You say that your computer is getting on a bit, but does it have a ethernet card in it? If it does, then you could even wire your pc into the router, though it sounds like this USB thingy you got would work fine too(I just reckon it's better to have at least one thing wired into it for setting stuff up and that). In fact, that might be a problem if you wanted to put protection on your connection, I dunno if or how well it'd work trying it through a wireless connection. If you choose to upgrade the firmware on it also, it will probably tell you not to do it over a wireless connection(thats what mine says).

I have no idea if the router will come with it, but you'll need an ethernet cable to connect your modem to it(can just get a short piece and keep them near each other), and then as Shorty said you should find instructions on how to set it up and configure it included with it, I think most routers have a quick setup wizard sort of thing.

Most routers ship with an ethernet cable in the box. You should first at least configure it with that. And never try to upgrade firmware through a wireless connection. And if possible, I wouldn't even allow access to the router's settings from a wireless client.

Okay, my Modem's come and I've got a problem. I was going through the setup process and it asked me to plug it into the ethernet port in my computer. It turns out I don't actually have one. When the USB adapter arrives will I be able to set it up with that, or will I need to install a network card with an ethernet port?