NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kurtle Squad

Help me with my 'Customer Relations' -_-

Okay...I work in a garden centre as a part time sales assistant/till jockey and recently asked for a full time job (since I haven't had one since my A Levels at the start of summer / end of Spring last year) and have been looking (though not very much as I'm hardly very motivated to) while doing some extra days there, and also working for my mum every so often.

Anyway...The boss said he'll give me a job (well...a 6 month contract) if I get better with customers within the next few weeks (he said I'm great at carrying out jobs though:awesome:).

Now, I am quiet and a lil reserved, but what the fuck am I supposed to say to a stranger that's at the till for 2 mins, quite a few of which you'd avoid talking to ever anyway???.....Especially without being boring and/or fake???:(

Hmmm, tricky seeing as most customers are shy/busy/not wanting to talk.

Just shape up your attitude mate, say hi and bye, thanks after every purchase and be helpful. When a customer asks for something do your best to help them get it.

Hope I've been of service:-D

I do all that!!...I'm sure that people must never see me say things to customers or something.

It's the PDQs (card machine:heh:) fault for being so gay & slow i tell you...:(

I never get recognised for anything good...

The moment i get a rude customer at my work i scream out:

"Mr (insert name here) is wondering what is best for herpes?"

Erm ask em if they're having a good day? I worked at John Lewis and I got on great with the customers. just be cool.

What do you usually say/do during each transaction? Give us an idea of how you are at the moment and we can suggest what you can add.

I smile and usually say hi... I beep the stuff through/type in n stuff, ask Qs about the stuff if i have to (do u know what kinda rock that is? :heh:)...then i say: "that's £..... please............Thank you"

Then there's the money /card bit, i think it's the card bit that lets me down.

"That's £..... change and your reciept, Thanks"

OR

"There's your card and reciepts, Thank you"

Usually smiling most of the time

Thats generally it, though depending on what's happening with the customers n such, then diff things happen and are said; but that's the 'thinnest' a transaction will be.^

That's all they really have to ask of you, as long as you look bothered to do the job you should be fine.

To be honest, it winds me up when I'm in a shop and the staff think it's appropriate to have a conversation with me. I just want the transaction completed as efficiently as possible. So concentrate on that.

There's not a lot more than you can really, just try to be enthusiastic although obviously not over the top. In one food shop I go in they all act crazy at the till for some reason, I can't stand it.

So just seem more confident and try n say a few more words to them??...That's what I thought.

I never get recognised for anything anyway, so I'm hardly surprised about this...anyway, thanks for the help guys, but keep it comming if you think of something.

Make up silly little corny jokes that people will politely laugh at. They don't have to be funny, but it will seem as if you are engaging with them.

For instance if they are having a hard time finding their card in their purse/wallet say something like "There's cards for everything nowadays isn't there?". Or if they say "Can you help me?" just jokingly say "no", but you need to get the joking tone across, and gauge if they will appreciate it before hand. The stockroom door has an awkward alarm on it at our work, so if it goes off as I come through and people stare I just say something like "I like to make an entrance".

As I said, none of those are funny but its chit chat other than transactional stuff.

Why don't you try paying more attention when you go in shops to see what other people say to their customers? Just talking about whatever they're buying more should look good to your boss. Even if it's only saying that a lot of people are buying it.

I tend to make my sentences longer so I don't end up using one word replies. I don't really do it on purpose but at least I end up saying more. If they ask you anything try to add to it as well as answering. Even moaning about the problems you have with the card machine is better than silence.

Most customers don't want to talk. But employers always say you have to make conversation.

Word. I hated doing it.

Anyway, as for the problem, just be a bit confident and just talk to them about anything. My line was always "nice/bad weather today eh?". Normally worked.

And as Ashley said, jokes work. At the end of the day, you wont see them again (probably), so don;t care what they think of you. G'luck!

Make up silly little corny jokes that people will politely laugh at. They don't have to be funny, but it will seem as if you are engaging with them.

For instance if they are having a hard time finding their card in their purse/wallet say something like "There's cards for everything nowadays isn't there?". Or if they say "Can you help me?" just jokingly say "no", but you need to get the joking tone across, and gauge if they will appreciate it before hand. The stockroom door has an awkward alarm on it at our work, so if it goes off as I come through and people stare I just say something like "I like to make an entrance".

As I said, none of those are funny but its chit chat other than transactional stuff.

Remind me never to let you serve me at a till :P

LOL agreed.

And please don't use the "no" 'joke' when they ask if you can help. Could be way more trouble than it's worth.

I'm a sales admin that hates the general public.

Though most of my work is over the phone, so I don't have to look at the customers. The thing is to just help them out as much as you can and don't make any fool mistakes.

Oh, and if you listen to my boss then you're not to wear your MP3 player at work (this was at a low volume while doing a boring job that took about 2 hours with only one earphone in) as it's "not condusive to the sales enviroment" ... the next day him and his wife were making racist jokes about a customer. So maybe be racist and see if that helps.

LOL agreed.

And please don't use the "no" 'joke' when they ask if you can help. Could be way more trouble than it's worth.

Im like the best customer assistant ever. Im so kind, friendly, polite and knowledgable. I rock :p

Im like the best customer assistant ever. Im so kind, friendly, polite and knowledgable. I rock :p

So you're basically the 'perfect' one, are you. can you move to my town? It's Bromley, ever heard of it? A London Borough, that is.

Sign in to follow this