NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Bard

Evolution Tournament 2007

RIght, people who follow professional videogaming should know of Evo, the most prestigious fighting game tournament in the world. The full list of games has just been announced for 2007, qualifiers are set to take place in North, East, West and South America and then the World Finals:

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike; This is, as far as I'm concerned, THE game the competition is stiff, and the corner trapping tactics from Street Fighter 2 have been eliminated due to the parrying system. One of the most intense, skillful videogames ever created.

Super Smash Bros Melee!: This was so damn surprising that I almost crapped my pants. Finally, Smash being recognised by dedicated fighting enthusiasts. All the idiots that said that it was a simple button masher will be getting a swift kick up the back side. "Beneath a cutesy surface, Smash Brothers features advanced techniques, deep strategies, and a surprising variety of play-styles. The fierce battles within the community of dedicated Smashers have helped it to forever shed the "kiddie game" image and emerge as serious business.

Smash players embody EVO's competitive spirit and we're proud to invite them to show that SSBM belongs among the greatest competitive fighting titles in the world."

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 : "Marvel vs. Capcom 2 has had incredible staying power over the years, and remains one of the most popular fighting games for US pro players. When played at its highest level, Marvel is an incredibly fast-paced pressure cooker. Many techniques in the game move at the very limit of the player's ability to react. To compensate, players must think ahead and be able to command their character with the utmost control and speed. Players without this ability are eventually overwhelmed by a mountain of attacks, a technique known as 'the rushdown'."

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Ah...I like to think I could hold my own in a tournament...The game that started it all... "The Street Fighter 2 series ignited the fighting game craze of the 1990's and defined the genre. Street Fighter is what started it all, and without it, there would be no Evolution tournament. Even 10 years after the game's release, it is still played and loved by the fighting game community.

Matches in ST are shorter than matches in almost every other fighting game. Offense is king, moves are fast, throws are incredibly effective, and "turtling" is rarely a viable option. The game is brutal: one big mistake can lose you the entire round."

Guilty Gear XX Slash: Another game that I've been playing for a long time, but I'm not quite up to the level of the pros. Getting better all the time though :).

"The Guilty Gear series blends beautiful 2D graphics, chaotic gameplay, and a wealth of game mechanics that act as safeguards against brokenness. It's been called an "evolution of the genre" because it has such diversity in its characters and such extreme potential for offense, yet with numerous defensive safeguards to give the game a "controlled craziness."

The most unusual feature of the game is the "Burst," which is basically a "get out of jail free" card. A burst is a "combo breaker." that lets you get out of any combo or pressure situation you like -- but only about once each round. And if your opponent expects your burst, he can avoid it and punish you. Offensive players who have no need of getting out of jail can use the burst in a different way: they can trade their burst for a full super meter, allowing them to rushdown even more.

Japanese pros Kindevu and Miu battle it out at Evo 2005"

Virtua Fighter 5: I'm not a fan of this series, so heres the Evo column: "Virtua Fighter 5 is one of the new fighters for the Playstation 3 console. The updated gameplay and engine makes for an even more balanced and faster paced game than before.

The core of Virtua Fighter is the 2-choice guessing game - setting up a situation where one must choose between defending against a mid attack or throw. A simple guard defends the mid attack but is vulnerable to throw, whereas an attack can beat the throw, but without the advantage is vulnerable to a counter hit by the opponent into a potential combo for big damage! To cover against a 2-choice guessing game, one must employ a higher level of defensive technique. There are many such techniques ranging from a simple fuzzy guarding to an evading multiple throw escape with guard."

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection: This is my other game of choice. The only 3D fighter I really adore. "The latest installment of Namco's Tekken franchise, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection introduced a revolutionary new graphics engine and fluid, life-like fighter animations. Tekken 5:DR revives the brutal, intense combat experience that the Tekken franchise is known for.

Tekken 5:DR matches are hectic and fast paced due to the small battle arenas. Pro players use their environment to trap their opponent against walls and setup different combinations. Stage boundary and obstacle placement awareness are crucial skills required to be successful in this game."

Capcom vs. SNK 2:"Capcom vs. SNK 1 combined Capcom and SNK characters in the same game for the first time, something fighting game fans had dreamed of for years. The vastly improved CvS2 features revamped a "ratio system" and "groove system" along with numerous balance fixes.

The ratio system allows players to create a team of either 1, 2, or 3 characters with their four ratio points. The player can also choose one of six different "grooves," which determine how his super meter will work and which game systems he has access to. For example, the powerful A-groove can use super meter to do a "custom combo" but can't low jump and can only do weak level 1 supers.

The most powerful, game-altering glitch in CvS2 is called "roll canceling." Roll canceling requires strict 5/60ths of a second timing to execute, and allows any special or super move to be completely invulnerable for about 0.4 seconds - a very long time in a fighting game. Roll canceling is only available to three grooves: C, A, and N-groove."

Ok, anyone looking to go? I'm getting my skills up at 3rd strike, and I will have a go a few years down the line. Oh, and the DVD should be interesting. The skill of the players has to be seen to be believed. They do things you wouldn't believe possible.

Some awesome games in there :D

I'm so happy Melee was accepted! It's been in MLG for a while so it's good it got a chance :D. Wish i could afford to go...

I can see it now.......... EVO 2011(ish), the grand final of 3rd strike:

teh_bard(Ken) vs teh_benmaster(Ryu) :heart:

sigh, if only eh?

Yay smashy! Trouble is by the time I'm "pro standard" SSBB will be out.

Yay smashy! Trouble is by the time I'm "pro standard" SSBB will be out.

The fact that EVO takes place in America is a problem.

Sign in to follow this