NEurope
THE ganondorflol

Where will gaming go now the Wii is released?

I think the Wii has the basic mould for the generation after next. We have the innovation, next time they can give us the power and amazing graphics!

Post opinions here.

There'll be no going back from here. I see the Wii as a tryout, if you like, for the true next generation - ie greater involvement and interaction with the gaming environment. Mere button bashing won't be enough anymore. Nintendo need to show the Wii's true colours tho if they're to convince people of this. In a sense it's a shame that, in recovering from the (reletive) disappointment of the gamecube, Nintendo had to tread cautiously with their hardware.. but even so, the Wii is capable of much more.

I believe the Wii's way is a far more logical next step for gaming than virtual reality or that sort of thing. If the Wii keeps up being only half as successful as it is now, Nintendo will regain a huge portion of market share, and a Wiilike controller will be standard on Xbox 1080 and Playstation 4. That can only be a good thing.

i think for the future we will be asking ourselves 'what can the next console do' rather than how powerful it will be.

motion sensing controls?What will the next one do.yes there will be a graphics improvment but nobody really cares about that

If the past if anything to go by, the Wii remote will be standard for a decade until someone comes along with another innovation. I can see Nintendo taking a kind of Sony stance with their controller next time round and decide to stick with the same one for a new console. Maybe they'll do something with the display.

Probably though, just a more powerful console with the same controller.

For starters every console in the future will have some form of motion sensing, and because of the road Nintendo chose for this gen, Wii is a great console, but even better if complemented with PS3/360 because not every kind of game will be released on it. It's not that different from before actually. If you can, get all the consoles.

My real worry is where Nintendo'll go next generation. The two multi-format taking corporations can improve graphics, and will also have learnt from this generation that there needs to be more innovation in the way we play the games. Nintendo will have the way we play the games, but not the ability to pour billions into graphics. Will Nintendo fade out of the home console market and stick with handhelds?

My real worry is where Nintendo'll go next generation. The two multi-format taking corporations can improve graphics, and will also have learnt from this generation that there needs to be more innovation in the way we play the games. Nintendo will have the way we play the games, but not the ability to pour billions into graphics. Will Nintendo fade out of the home console market and stick with handhelds?

I think the Wii is going to be too successful for that.

Nintendo is one step ahead of Sony and Microsoft now. If they release a Wii-like controller with their next system, Nintendo will most likely have innovated over them.

Also, I don't see why Nintendo shouldn't be able to reenter the graphics battles again. Nintendo has a lot more to spend on hardware than Sony - you're underestimating them on that point. I'd probably like to see a reasonably priced system boasting nothing more than PS3 visuals though.

I think a dual-core Wii 2 is on the cards. What it needs more though is RAM, as evident in the latest Oblivion downscaling for PS3 scandal.

Next generation Nintendo will concentrate on the handheld business.

And for the other two - Sony will keep the sixaxis controller and microsoft concentrate on true normal gaming. And both of the next generation consoles will have slightly better graphics and have amazing processing power.

Nest generation Nintendo will concentrate on the handheld business.

and why is that?because its console is outselling 360 and ps3?I know you want to hate the wii because you are a graphics whore but try to be realistic.I dont think sony will fail as most fanboys suggest and i do think 360 will win over here

the next gen will more than likely be a two way fight, i can easily see either ms or sony dropping out with their massive losses, nintendo will still be their with a machine probably power-wise slightly higher than the ps3 but with further innovations control wise

and why is that?because its console is outselling 360 and ps3?I know you want to hate the wii because you are a graphics whore but try to be realistic.I dont think sony will fail as most fanboys suggest and i do think 360 will win over here

The only place where nintendo are outselling ps3 and 360 is japan.

Everywhere else its 360 first.

I ain't a graphics whore - but I think the whole gameplay over graphics approach is highly stupid argument its like saying would you actually pay £40 for a N64 style title with good gameplay. I for one wouldn't.

But yeah name the last greatest title before LoZ:TP that NCL studio made.

Can't remember personally.

But I hope in 7 years time Nintendos bottom. Can't believe I am saying that, but I want them to learn that they should stop pandering to non-gamers. And concentrate on the gamers, who will buy the epic titles something that non-gamers won't do.

The only place where nintendo are outselling ps3 and 360 is japan.

Everywhere else its 360 first.

Wii sales top PS3

Add Japan to that. 360 is head first, but they've had a year head start.

The Wii is on course to reach 4 million sales in the next few weeks. The PS3 is yet to reach 2 million.

click

Nintendo Holds Strong at Number Two Globally

Two years ago, we probably would have told you that nothing short of divine interference could stop PlayStation 3 from becoming market leader. Nowadays, we don't think anybody is going to squash Microsoft's Xbox 360 this year. (Next year, well, that could be another story.) That noted, if any console comes close, it'll be Wii and not PS3. The Big N has already sold almost four million systems and is expected to increase supply to retailers up to as much as one million units per month. If all goes well, Wii could topple 10 or 12 million units worldwide by the end of the year. Some analysts have pegged the console to sell even better than that. Regardless of how many people ultimately jump on the Wii bandwagon this year, one thing will remain a certainty: third party developers and publishers can no longer afford to ignore or dismiss Nintendo's hardware as niche or gimmicky. It's clearly here to stay.

I ain't a graphics whore - but I think the whole gameplay over graphics approach is highly stupid argument its like saying would you actually pay £40 for a N64 style title with good gameplay. I for one wouldn't.

You are the only one in this entire forum. What you are saying makes you a graphics whore.

But I hope in 7 years time Nintendos bottom. Can't believe I am saying that, but I want them to learn that they should stop pandering to non-gamers. And concentrate on the gamers, who will buy the epic titles something that non-gamers won't do.

Unrealistic hope. Nintendo have tried epic titles with the GameCube, and what has brought it them? Epic games are actually hard to make (something you don't seem to realise), maybe you should give the console a few months for it to get such titles. No game on the PS3 out now can match the epicness of Twilight Princess.

2 year? Make that 4 years. Zelda games require 4 years to get that 40-hour gameplay out of it, and the immense development requirements of HD games will easily cost developers years and years to finish an epic game.

Would I buy a N64-graphics game? Yeah, if its gameplay is really good. Animal Crossing, for example, has N64 graphics. If it has great online possibilities though, I will buy :smile:

I'm not denying that graphics are a factor, but if they don't matter (like AC) for the game then they shouldn't matter for your buy either.

2 year? Make that 4 years. Zelda games require 4 years to get that 40-hour gameplay out of it, and the immense development requirements of HD games will easily cost developers years and years to finish an epic game.

Would I buy a N64-graphics game? Yeah, if its gameplay is really good. Animal Crossing, for example, has N64 graphics. If it has great online possibilities though, I will buy :smile:

I'm not denying that graphics are a factor, but if they don't matter (like AC) for the game then they shouldn't matter for your buy either.

GRAW took 2 years. And if they already had a game engie up and running then the first game could take 4 years then the next game would be 2-3years to make. But as mark rein said "thats not true" about games costing more in terms of money and of time.

So I take it you wouldn't pay £40 for a game like bomberman where the graphics are extremly blocky then? Guess its just me then. But I feel cheated that some of the best 360 games came out in 1 year of the system being out. While most of the better games on the wii we won't be seeing until Q3 2008.

I'd like to see the big three console makers and the biggest Developers get together and make a blue print for a standard console. Just like the DVD format. Different electronics firms could make their own versions but following the same specs so anyone can play any game they want without having to purchase three separate consoles.

I think thats the only way gaming is going to truly evolve into the Entertainment medium it should be. And it should put all those petty console squabbles to rest. :)

I'd like to see the big three console makers and the biggest Developers get together and make a blue print for a standard console. Just like the DVD format. Different electronics firms could make their own versions but following the same specs so anyone can play any game they want without having to purchase three separate consoles.

I think thats the only way gaming is going to truly evolve into the Entertainment medium it should be. And it should put all those petty console squabbles to rest. :)

Here here, thats exactly what id like to see. For people that claim the Wii is expanding the market, imagine what a universal console could do for it

So I take it you wouldn't pay £40 for a game like bomberman where the graphics are extremly blocky then? Guess its just me then. But I feel cheated that some of the best 360 games came out in 1 year of the system being out. While most of the better games on the wii we won't be seeing until Q3 2008.
I wouldn't buy Bomberman even if it blew PS3 graphics out of the water either, but that's because I think it provides too little content and I'd rather play other multiplayer games like Wii Sports or Mario Party. Graphics just don't make a difference for me with a game like Bomberman.

Some games don't need to have graphics that look absolutely stunning however, and I will buy them if they are good enough. I suppose you don't have a DS, right?

Also, I don't see why you're so pessimistic over Wii release dates. Metroid Prime 3 will be out this year, as will Mario Galaxy, and Brawl will be nearly done and maybe even be released in Japan this year. Then there's still loads of unannounced titles coming our way, as well as some titles that are quality games but don't have a hype machine around them.

I wouldn't buy Bomberman even if it blew PS3 graphics out of the water either, but that's because I think it provides too little content and I'd rather play other multiplayer games like Wii Sports or Mario Party. Graphics just don't make a difference for me with a game like Bomberman.

Some games don't need to have graphics that look absolutely stunning however, and I will buy them if they are good enough. I suppose you don't have a DS, right?

Also, I don't see why you're so pessimistic over Wii release dates. Metroid Prime 3 will be out this year, as will Mario Galaxy, and Brawl will be nearly done and maybe even be released in Japan this year. Then there's still loads of unannounced titles coming our way, as well as some titles that are quality games but don't have a hype machine around them.

I do have a ds and I love phoenix wright - a series which if I understand correctly started on the gba in japan. And from the reports coming out of japan brawl won't be out this year - as the producer/director of the game who created kirby. He said that total time to create the game is about 18months. Was started in may 2006 so it should be out in november. And of course it will be delayed a bit and so Q1 2008 earliest and that'll be for japan.

Here here, thats exactly what id like to see. For people that claim the Wii is expanding the market, imagine what a universal console could do for it

Unfortunately that will never happen - as not one console manufacture would be able to agree on price/controller/online features/ etc.

I do have a ds and I love phoenix wright - a series which if I understand correctly started on the gba in japan. And from the reports coming out of japan brawl won't be out this year - as the producer/director of the game who created kirby. He said that total time to create the game is about 18months. Was started in may 2006 so it should be out in november. And of course it will be delayed a bit and so Q1 2008 earliest and that'll be for japan.

Great to see you can enjoy a game when it has simple 2D graphics right? It's all in the gameplay.

Also, from what I understand Brawl's planning started right after Iwata announced it at the E3 of 2005, and development sometime later that year. By the end of this year it will have had 2 years of development time, which might make a release in Japan possible. I agree it's likely that it will be a 2008 title, but development's already quite far. After all they could give us gameplay footage 9 months ago already.

Back to the future of gaming: I'm not so much wondering what Nintendo will do for the Wii2, but what they'll do in the handheld market. How will they go further from the DS?

Great to see you can enjoy a game when it has simple 2D graphics right? It's all in the gameplay.

Also, from what I understand Brawl's planning started right after Iwata announced it at the E3 of 2005, and development sometime later that year. By the end of this year it will have had 2 years of development time, which might make a release in Japan possible. I agree it's likely that it will be a 2008 title, but development's already quite far. After all they could give us gameplay footage 9 months ago already.

Back to the future of gaming: I'm not so much wondering what Nintendo will do for the Wii2, but what they'll do in the handheld market. How will they go further from the DS?

back to brawl for a second, the roundtable discussion after the trailer was released. The only thing they had done on brawl up to that point was the movie - thats all. Then they started doing the game.

The future will be a DSAdvance or something like that - which can generate better graphics + better processor speed with an analogue control pad added.

For Nintendo they'll probably decide to do the Wii:HD - but it won't output in 1080i or something stupid like that - they won't have learned that we don't want friend codes. They won't have learned that we want a unified online experience.

I see that the next generation of gaming won't revert back to conventional controls for Nintendo. If they did this, then there would be many dissapointed gamers and Nintendo would sure flunk in the home console areas. I see an improvement with the Wii coming with an option for conventional controls built into the games. This will give gamers a choice if they want to use freehand controls or pad controls when playing games.

Plus the next Nintendo home console will have a vast amount more power and more graphical improvements then ever before.

I dont think it will change much tbh.

Nintendo will ditch the Wii controls for their next system in order to stay 'innovative'. Maybe Wiimote but for legs :shock: Play games... WITH YOU'RE FEET!

PS4 will use a Wiimote style controller and be more powerful than the combined power of every computer owned by NASA.

Microsoft will stick to a conventional Analogue Stick controller but release 'add-ons' in the form of a motion sensing controller and a copy of whatever Nintendo has planned next.

A surprise competitor will launch a new console, bringing the total to 4.

The price of video games will rise to near the £100 mark for some systems :(