NEurope
ZeldaFreak

Manhunt 2

Assuming this is even allowed in ANY European country uncut, would it get through imports okay or wouldn't it be seized by customs?

Which effectively bans it from most game stores. No big chains carries AO rated games. I seriously doubt the game will be released in early July. They will probably try to change some parts of the game.

This game isn't coming out. It's got an AO rating in America, which means it won't be stocked by any mainstream retail outlet. It's banned over here, in Ireland, in Germany and in Australia (the last two are dead certs if it's banned over here).

I think Rockstar will seriously have to think about altering it. It's a crying shame because I would love a copy :(

Doesn't Nintendo have a policy of not allowing AO rated games on their systems? It will be interesting if NOA allows it to released for the Wii in its current state.

Yeah it getting hit with AO in america means it will only be stocked by very few retailers and likely be behind the counter hidden away...

As a responsible Adult, I want to play the unedited version!

Fuckin nintendo...

Yes, fuck Nintendo, who have nothing to do with this game's ban, especially considering it was banned on all systems.

The status of the Wii version is amusing now. This would mean that perhaps PAL regions will be the only region with the Wii version but the game as a whole will be banned in most countries.

The status of the Wii version is amusing now. This would mean that perhaps PAL regions will be the only region with the Wii version but the game as a whole will be banned in most countries.

Nintendo won't be licensing the game in the US, because it has an AO rating. They don't license anything with AO ratings.

If Nintendo refuses the license in the US, it'll refuse it worldwide.

So unless Rockstar really got to town and edit the game down into a M-rated title, the game won't be coming out on Wii.

But if the game is edited down, and released Stateside, it's possible the game will get re-rated and released in the UK too.

7 pages of whining? really?!?!? over Manhunt?

Im in two minds with this one. Manhunt went a bit too far in my opinion and Rockstar will definitely have pushed the sequel further. Depending on how much further Rockstar pushed it i think the BBFC might be right on this one.

Rockstar are a bunch of fuckwits, they push the boundaries time and time again. It was only a matter of time before someone told them they had gone too far. After all, how difficult would it really be to have made Manhunt 2 with a slightly lighter tone to it?

The BBFC would have had a board room meeting before banning this. It's a major decision, as only 1 game has ever been banned before (although Carmageddon had its ban lifted).

So Manhunt 2 is the only video game in current BBFC history to have a ban on it.

It must be bad.

EDIT: It is the only game to be rejected - http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/SearchClassifiedWorks/?SearchView&Query=(%20[DateReject]%20%3E=%2001/01/1900)%20%20and%20(%20[DateReject]%20%3C=%2020/06/2007)%20and%20((%20[TypeOfMedia]%20contains%20DigitalMedia))&SearchMax=50

Im wondering if the Jersey sites are actually going to try to send this game out (Presuming they can get PAL versions) ?

The UK sites seem to have acted fast removing it from the catologues, but as specified earlier Play still lists it, and my Jersey favourite Sendit.com still has it listed....

I have bobbed an order on it regardless just to see the outcome. (Most likely a 'We regret to inform you..' email').

Assuming this is even allowed in ANY European country uncut...

In Finland and Sweden law doesn't allow censoring or banning at all. Company can propose game a rating, and rating board can raise this rating if they deem it too low. With Manhunt 2, distributor had immediately offered M rating, so there isn't nothing at all that board can do (Manhunt 2 already got its M rating here two weeks ago).

"*Please note that Nintendo does not sell or license games that carry the ESRB rating "AO" (Adults Only)."]

Sony and Microsoft have similar restriction. They don't license AO games at all.

Im wondering if the Jersey sites are actually going to try to send this game out (Presuming they can get PAL versions) ?

I asked this personally from BFLC, and according to them, law doesn't prevent you from owning unclassified object or buying it from outside UK. You aren't, however, allowed to sell it forwards. In fact, if it comes down to it, I could easily supply Manhunt 2's for members of this forum.

This game isn't coming out. It's got an AO rating in America, which means it won't be stocked by any mainstream retail outlet. It's banned over here, in Ireland, in Germany and in Australia (the last two are dead certs if it's banned over here).

Game is coming out, because it is already on printers to meet up current launch date. That the game won't be sold in Germany, Australia, UK and NZ hasn't never prevented anything on PC side*. Game just won't be sold on those countries. Furthermore, I strongly suspect that Rockstar has two versions of the game, and they intentionally submitted version that would get AO from ESRB. After Rockstar has got enough free advertisement for their game, they submit their M version.

* Although historically only Carmageddon has gained AO rating, there is few cases where retailers have simply decided that they won't carry certain game even though it has M rating.

Why not give it an R18 rating and only sell it in sex shops!! That would stop the kids getting hold of it.

The UK sites seem to have acted fast removing it from the catologues, but as specified earlier Play still lists it, and my Jersey favourite Sendit.com still has it listed....

Play.com have shoved it on the front page countdown - Only 4 titles in the whole things go there at a time (I think).

I wonder if NGamer's sales (Its out today, right?) will rocket massively. As Manhunt 2 is the main cover image.

In Finland and Sweden law doesn't allow censoring or banning at all. Company can propose game a rating, and rating board can raise this rating if they deem it too low. With Manhunt 2, distributor had immediately offered M rating, so there isn't nothing at all that board can do (Manhunt 2 already got its M rating here two weeks ago).

Sony and Microsoft have similar restriction. They don't license AO games at all.

I asked this personally from BFLC, and according to them, law doesn't prevent you from owning unclassified object or buying it from outside UK. You aren't, however, allowed to sell it forwards. In fact, if it comes down to it, I could easily supply Manhunt 2's for members of this forum.

Game is coming out, because it is already on printers to meet up current launch date. That the game won't be sold in Germany, Australia, UK and NZ hasn't never prevented anything on PC side*. Game just won't be sold on those countries. Furthermore, I strongly suspect that Rockstar has two versions of the game, and they intentionally submitted version that would get AO from ESRB. After Rockstar has got enough free advertisement for their game, they submit their M version.

* Although historically only Carmageddon has gained AO rating, there is few cases where retailers have simply decided that they won't carry certain game even though it has M rating.

Thanks for pointing that out, NONE of the games platforms license AO games, NONE. Not microsoft, not Sony and not Nintendo.

If it does come out in this form it'll be worth it's weight in gold as a collectors item.

Yay for Austria - we will probably get a uncensored version with english language and german subtitles. Gameshops here will be more than happy to supply german customers with the game - as usual.

I really hope our government doesn't change that in the near future I am a big fan of free speech and freedom of choice. As long as certain boundaries made by law are not hurt.

Nobody banned Saw from the cinemas, XXX movies are shown starting with 23:00 (22:00 for the UK) on the Adult Channel and nobody cares in general about movies.

Just to clarify I pay for digital TV as a whole and the Adult Channel is somehow demoing its programm - I did not need or want it. Especially because those UK girls are really really cheap looking hehe....

Play.com

Rating: RATING TBC

Is that a "Fuck the BBFC, we're using PEGI" I sense there?

edit: The rating was BBFC 18+ until today on Play.com.

Play.com

but games have to carry BBFC, PEGI is only a voluntary system meant to give awareness of games content, it is not a legally enforced age rating.

but games have to carry BBFC, PEGI is only a voluntary system meant to give awareness of games content, it is not a legally enforced age rating.

The BBFC law only applies to companies in the UK selling the game, not companies outside the UK selling to people in the UK.

Play.com may well have a similar loophole as the VAT avoidance one.

Do play.com have to abide by the banning order though?

The banning order is for the sale or supply of the product to the UK - play would be supplying to the UK wouldn't they?

Also I was doing a little bit of research on this and I was told that the isle of man, jersey etc will all abide by the BBFC's decision as they have no regulatory body themselves and accept the BBFC's decision.

Another point to consider is that if Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don't endorse or license any AO rated games, will we see this game supplied to any region PAL/US/JAP at all??

Play.com

Interesting they've changed the rating so they are aware of the ban yesterday - as I have already said I preordered it from them yesterday and so far (fingers crossed) I have not received a we regret to inform you email - I'll keep you guys posted if that changes!

The BBFC law only applies to companies in the UK selling the game, not companies outside the UK selling to people in the UK.

Play.com may well have a similar loophole as the VAT avoidance one.

yeah sorry I did mean in the UK. Guess it depends whether other european countries rate the game or not...

I'm beginning to wonder if Rockstar will actually rework the title or tone it down what with this getting a AO in america it's not going to sell great. But then how can they really rework it the themes are integral to the game.