NEurope
Aussie

Rare now making Xbox Live Arcade games

Are the good old days really gone for onetime Nintendo developer Rare?

Rare downgraded to making Xbox Live Arcade games?

360-gamer.com : The Microsoft-owned UK developer Rare is currently working on an as-yet unannounced Xbox Live Arcade title to be released later this year.

According to UK magazine Edge, the title will be a completely original offering and is being worked on by Kameo and Starfox Adventures developer Nick Burton, as well as a team of ten others.

And unfortunately that’s where the details end – we’ll have to just wait and see what sort of quirky cuteness Rare comes up with for its first Xbox Live Arcade offering.

So on that note, let’s just make some wild speculation about why Microsoft is willing to let a developer who it paid $377 million for sit about making Xbox Live games… could it be that Microsoft is disappointed with Rare’s output, which many would argue hasn’t quite justified the money spent, or is it simply something to waste away their lunch times while they work on the next Perfect Dark title?

The good days are really gone for onetime Nintendo developer Rare

Rare downgraded to making Xbox Live Arcade games?

The good days are gone? Downgraded?

There's more classic games on the arcade right now than the Gamecube and Wii have combined. I fail to see how this is a bad thing if Rare can make and sell fantastic games over it ::shrug:

The best 360 game I own other than GoW is an Arcade game (Marble Blast Ultra). Do you own a 360, Aussie?

The good days are gone? Downgraded?

There's more classic games on the arcade right now than the Gamecube and Wii have combined.

Dear Lord, that's ludicrous.

Well, more on topic, making arcade games doesnt mean they aren't making "normal" games, they probably have seperate teams.

I don't have a 360 yet so don't exactly know what Xbox Live Arcade is all about! Isn't it like the Wii's Virtual Console?

So couldn't this just mean that Rare could be working on uploading and adding extra's to it's classics such as Battletoads and Killer Instinct etc... for download?

Or they could be looking at making new styles of games now that the download size has been increased.

Oh and live arcade have a mixture of new and old games

Dear Lord, that's ludicrous.

Or rather, a matter of opinion. Although I suppose it's easier to critisise someone's opinion than try to understand it. I wouldn't know though, i'm a sensible person :)

Or rather, a matter of opinion. Although I suppose it's easier to critisise someone's opinion than try to understand it. I wouldn't know though, i'm a sensible person :)

Well it's a metter of opinion yeah, but comparing GC's sizeable collection of good games, plus the ones Wii to an year old online service is kind of a stretch.

I don't have a 360 yet so don't exactly know what Xbox Live Arcade is all about! Isn't it like the Wii's Virtual Console?
It is similar, though the games are optimised for Xbox Live and HD. All of the games have achievements/online leaderboards, most have online multiplayer, some have downloadable content. A majority of the games are original, too.

Banjo-Threeie

Rare will still be making proper games aswell as arcade ones.

And also, after the buzz that Worms is creating, i see their being big money in arcade.

Well it's a metter of opinion yeah, but comparing GC's sizeable collection of good games, plus the ones Wii to an year old online service is kind of a stretch.

I suppose I can see how. But I certainly wouldn't say the Cube had a sizeable collection of good games. But maybe that's just me.

I suppose I can see how. But I certainly wouldn't say the Cube had a sizeable collection of good games. But maybe that's just me.

i agree, i can only think of 3 games i wud want to play again on cube.

You know, Rare was at it's best at Nintendo - because Nintendo forced them to do things a specific way. Now Rare is left clueless. If I have the money to buy an X360, I'de buy it, just for Banjo-Threeie.

Like you said, it's a matter of opinion. I have 35+ games and I like them all.

No Rare was at its best on the N64 because of the people the team was made up of! It's that simple; the company has lost alot of its original great talent (which has gone off to form/join other development companies)

Rare has progressively gotten worse!

SNES/N64 - AWESOME

Gamecube - not great

Xbox - rubbish!

However I think they are turning it around on the 360!

They aren't 'THE' Rare anymore, but the Rare they are is a very capable company; with the good games like Kameo and Viva Pinata!

Perfect Dark Zero didn't live up to the original game or peoples expectations, but is still a farely decent game and again it's due to the fact the team has changed.

This does concern me as far as Banjo-Threeie is concerned - that it won't live up to the originals, but I'm still really looking forward to the game, as the NEW Rare is slowly getting better and better!

I've played PD and Kameo and didn't like them, but Pinata looks really cool. Rare isn't as good as before, but they may still have what it takes to make good games once in a while.

Yes i do own a 360 and have been on XBlive for over 3yrs now

Xbox Live: Aussie Gamer

Also can't wait for Banjo as i have always had alot of fun playing that series back on the N64 so lets hope it works out good on 360 for this series :P

I'd rather they brought some of their old Spectrum games to XBLA to be honest.

God no! the Spectrum was crap when it was out.

C64 all the way. ;)

God no! the Spectrum was crap when it was out.

C64 all the way. ;)

Yes, the C64 was the better machine but Rares games were better on the Spectrum, their C64 games were crap.

IGN.XB360 : Rare is allegedly digging into its past to bring us Jetpac Refuelled

Today, new "unofficial" information sprung loose. Jetpac Refuelled, which looks to be an homage of sorts to the 1983 Classic Jetpac, may sell for 800 Microsoft Points and weigh in at about 21 MB. In the game itself, an astronaut must reconstruct his spaceship by collecting fragments scattered across the landscape and refuel his ship in order to get off the dangerous planet. The original game offered up 16 levels, but Rare looks to have added dozens more for the Xbox 360 version, giving us a possible 128 levels. Online play is still in the works. The game also allegedly offers 12 achievements, one of which is "viral," like the achievement first offered in Small Arms.

When contacted, a Microsoft representative said: "This is still not officially confirmed by Microsoft. Any reports you read are 'rumors and speculation.' The info in that Spanish article may be correct, but none of it has been substantiated by Microsoft."

about 8 or 9 years ago i once had a job interview at rare and bloody hell the place is massive (aparently its bigger now even than then) but it shocks me how little they seem to be able to produce these days (let alone wether its any good or not), bill gates must seriously be thinking about wether it was worth anywhere like what he paid