NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ant-Shimmin

Does anyone here seriously follow a football team

I wish I didn't though because pro-football is shite.

(in my opinion of course ;) )

Can you back that up with some kind of sense and reason? Otherwise it's an empty statement, regardless of my personal feeling.

Can you back that up with some kind of sense and reason? Otherwise it's an empty statement, regardless of my personal feeling.

I've been stating it over the course of the past 5 pages, not least a few posts back.

Their are multiple Points of view.....

I understand where he is coming from, but his view point has been manufactured by the media which halts his understanding and generates a stereotypical and a hatred towards a sport he quite clearly doesn't understand....

Finally some progress, you can see where I'm coming from. The problem is is that my viewpoint is based on experience AND what I hear from friends and the media. Pretty well rounded bunch of sources wouldn't you say? God help anyone you meet who doesn't like football either!

"What you have not seen, you will never understand"

Liverpool Flag...

I have seen, I have understood, I still hate.

I'm off to bed, School in the morning and all that Jazz...

Have a good day at school.

Glad you feel passionate about it. I have a similar passion for rugby union.

I hate pro football because of the following points:

- Corruption/Racism/Homophobism is present (not everywhere, but present)

- Hooliganism

- Disrespect/Swearing to refs

- Segregation of fans (what a joke lol)

- Hostile atmosphere

- Overpaid footballers, who's gfs are usually page 3 models or the like

- Prissy prima-donnas on the pitch

- Diving and faking injury even after the slightest touch (if that)

- Boring 0-0 scorelines

- Many players are complete thugs off the pitch

- Some supporters chanting to the opposition manager calling him tumor-boy (he suffered from one years ago) and singing 'Why couldn't you have died 3 years ago'.

- Simple rules and tactics.

Get over the fact that I don't like football and admit that my opinions are just as valid as yours and I won't say another word.

I've been stating it over the course of the past 5 pages, not least a few posts back.

No you haven't said anything, you have just said how football is full of hooligans and implying football hooliganism is the epitome of how bad the country is....Well ok not that far, granted you don't like the game itself...

But the stereotypical views anger me....Seriously....I am far from a chav and am neither what you have said but your feelings are so strong you believe it to be the case

Motion 2000

No hard feelings...:)

Calling the sport chavball is stereotyping I agree. If it caused you annoyance then I'm sorry but it's what I like calling it. Certainly better than some alternatives I've heard (poofball, wendyball...)

Saying that there is racism, homophobia, abuse, violence, diving, corruption etc... in the sport (ON SOME LEVEL) is not sterotyping, it's stating facts.

Quite frankly mate, I have got hard feelings because I don't like being 1. called a liar 2. being told that my opinions aren't valid.

Calling the sport chavball is stereotyping I agree. If it caused you annoyance then I'm sorry but it's what I like calling it. Certainly better than some alternatives I've heard (poofball, wendyball...)

Saying that there is racism, homophobia, abuse, violence, diving, corruption etc... in the sport (ON SOME LEVEL) is not sterotyping, it's stating facts.

Quite frankly mate, I have got hard feelings because I don't like being 1. called a liar 2. being told that my opinions aren't valid.

Your accusations may well be levelled at any area of society, however football is a convenient example. If you wish to challenge these prejudices, then you must place the blame on society as a whole, rather than simply the raucous hordes who enjoy the often thoughtless entertainment of a football match.

It is the symptom, but not the cause. And to track the cause, you must make a far more in-depth study than mere words and considerations on these forums allow.

Why should I put the blame solely society?

Those accusations aren't any where near as present in sports like rugby union, f1, cricket, athletics etc...

Why should I put the blame solely society?

Those accusations aren't any where near as present in sports like rugby union, f1, cricket, athletics etc...

Perhaps not, but you have to ask what aspects of society are drawn towards football and why. What is the relation between the simplicity of the game and the prevalence of thuggish violence? Is there a correlation or is it imply an aspect of coincidnece? Is it not possible to argue that football itself is more of a passionate participants sport than others such as Cricket and F1, and therefore necessitates an encourages the diffidence of its spectators?

Why then is it considered to be more difficult to win an away game than a home game? Human nature is such that it needs to belong - be that through political, cultural or religious affiliations, and these all breed a different kind of ignorance and prejudice.

Why then is it considered to be more difficult to win an away game than a home game? Human nature is such that it needs to belong - be that through political, cultural or religious affiliations, and these all breed a different kind of ignorance and prejudice.

Wow, thats really interesting...I never really thought about it like that!

Is it not possible to argue that football itself is more of a passionate participants sport than others such as Cricket and F1, and therefore necessitates an encourages the diffidence of its spectators?

My thought exactly!

Wow, thats really interesting...I never really thought about it like that!

My thought exactly!

It's identity by association, sadly the ironic axiom "You are unique, just like everybody else" rings startlingly true.

We've kind of destroyed the point of this thread...oh well, I found it interesting nonetheless!

We've kind of destroyed the point of this thread...oh well, I found it interesting nonetheless!

Meh, ultimately pesonal opinions are just that - personal. An individual can come up with a reason why the sky may be falling/rising based on experience. But human nature cannot be dismissed: humans are often selfish, group oriented beings that require a sense of belonging through affiliation to validate themselves. And that works on both sides - you cn be a football supporter and a football hater. Both are equally valid opinions in the mind of the individual but demand a sense of belonging that does not necessarilt match up with the reasons of those within the group.

Not if I can possibly help it. Read Fire Flower for an in-depth list of my merciless prejudices. :p

I havn't read much on the main page for a while because I go straight to the forum! I even forgot what Fire Flower was for a minute!:o

Any Fire Flower in particular?

Is it not possible to argue that football itself is more of a passionate participants sport than others such as Cricket and F1, and therefore necessitates an encourages the diffidence of its spectators?

Nail.Head

One minute motion says, "everyone's entitled to their opinion, if you don't like mine then you don't. Then the next minute he says "I think your opinion is stupid, shut up tumour boy"

ill add my opinion into the works,

i dont like watching football (find it very boring, as with watching most sports), but i love to play it.

:)

One minute motion says, "everyone's entitled to their opinion, if you don't like mine then you don't. Then the next minute he says "I think your opinion is stupid, shut up tumour boy"

Can you quote me where I said that last bit please.

As opposed to you who hasn't put forth an intelligent argument all thread, resorting instead to name calling and throwing abuse at me just because you don't like what I say?

As opposed to you who hasn't put forth an intelligent argument all thread, resorting instead to name calling and throwing abuse at me just because you don't like what I say?

Well I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm bored of you now. A good thread has been ruined by nine pages of your bullshit. You've made your points, we've acknowledged them, we've discussed them. So why keep coming back to repeatedly shove them down our throats?

Lock please.

LOL, what a surprise, more abuse, more non-arguments.

retro-lover questioned my posting, I replied to him. You don't like reading what I say, then don't. Simple as that.

Sign in to follow this