NEurope
RATM_4_EVA

Revolution launched in spring

I just read that MS confirmed they have massive problems to supply their new console at the launch date. So Nintendo and Sony get a bit more time.

Im pretty sure that rev will be last to launch an if its not by a huge difference I dont think its very important sales wise. Better late and ready than soon and rushed.

This is very worrying, a early summer launch in Japan with an utumn launch in USA indicates a spring 07 launch for us unlucky bastards!!

NIntendo are taking a HUGE risk with this, and they know it, they stated they WOULDN'T be launching last again, yet they are. They even know with their own DS how good it is to launch early!! The lead Microsift gain in the west could be unreachable by the time rev launches!! God Microsoft have pissed me off launching this early (way too early imo), I hope they suffer the way of Saturn - i.e. people not ready for it yet and wait another year!!! Though I doubt it!!!

They've obviously havent learned from there mistakes. They did it with the game now there gonna do it with the rev.

Im pretty sure that rev will be last to launch an if its not by a huge difference I dont think its very important sales wise. Better late and ready than soon and rushed.

I fully agree to that. :smile:

Seems that things might not be quite so easy for the competition...

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=540

Allard slams stock fears

10:00BST, Oct 7th by Johnny Minkley

Microsoft this week moved to calm fears over Xbox 360 allocation, insisting it is firmly on track for a strong launch in all territories.

Over 1,000 members of the European games trade were able to sample Xbox 360's launch line-up at the lavish X05 event in Amsterdam.

Fears quickly emerged over initial hardware stocks, but senior execs from both sides of the Atlantic were eager to counter any overly-negative suggestions of a launch ‘crisis’.

“Rather than thinking of launch as one day, we see it as a six-to-12 week window,†UK boss Neil Thompson told MCV.

“Demand is exceptionally high, so we're not going to meet all of that on day one. But this is part of the decision to have Europe at the forefront of the launch window.

“We could have decided to launch six months later."

"All retailers I've spoken to have been very positive about the message I've given them," Thompson added.

Microsoft’s Corporate VP and Xbox evangelist J Allard was more pointed: "The allocation issue is kinda ‘BS’," he blasted back. "EA's Gerhard Florin thanked us on stage for effecting a global launch, and in no small way hinted that rivals should follow suit."

Unsurprisingly, Microsoft remains tight-lipped on allocation figures, but senior publishing sources revealed to MCV that a figure of 600,000 units by Christmas in Europe was being touted, with up to 200,000 earmarked for the UK.

Retailers are expecting to find out their initial individual allocation details next week.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=10872

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Analysts Lower Xbox 360 Shipment Forecast

Fewer 360s to go around this holiday

The number of Xbox 360 units available this holiday shopping season could be less than initially expected, according to UBS Securities. The firm has lowered its projection of 2.5 million units to 1.5 million units globally.

"We now expect around 400,000 U.S. units to launch day one (11/22), with 800,000-1.0 million available by the end of the year. We expect 400,000-500,000 in Europe and one to two hundred thousand in Japan by the end of the year, getting us to 1.5 million," UBS said in a research note.

"This should not impact market sales," explained analyst Mike Wallace. "Most publishers have been conservative in launch expectations. A normal tie ratio of 2:1 means the dollar impact is small off of a couple hundred thousand fewer units. Existing platforms should make or break numbers this year. We could see some publishers move launch titles into Q1

to sell into a larger installed base."

UBS believes that Microsoft will probably be able to ramp up production early next year. "We think MSFT could produce around 500,000 units each month in Q1, which could actually help the market. This will give consumers a reason to get into stores post-Christmas. We also expect a few hundred thousand each month for Europe, leading to a healthy Q1," Wallace continued.

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=544

MS execs seize on PS3 ‘07 slip fears

09:45BST, Oct 14th by Johnny Minkley

With Xbox 360 games and final hardware fully playable for the first time at last week’s X05 event, top Xbox execs openly questioned Sony’s ability to deliver PS3 in 2006 in Europe – with senior publishing sources sharing this fear.

With Microsoft gearing up for a global roll-out of its next-gen system this Christmas, while Sony maintains a tentative ‘spring ‘06’ launch date for PS3, Xbox UK boss Neil Thompson predicted his firm could have a huge lead in Europe.

“I’ll be happy to compete whenever they turn up, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s not until spring ’07,†he told MCV. “If they hit Xmas ’06, then maybe it’ll be a very thin launch; a launch in name only.â€

While Sony has never specified territories for its spring ’06 window, few expect it will attempt a similar global release strategy to Microsoft, with many in the European trade expecting a late ’06 PAL release at best, while others fear a longer delay.

Speaking at X05, a senior European publisher boss told MCV he “wouldn’t be remotely surprised†if PlayStation 3 didn’t arrive here until spring ’07 – and with a price tag as high as £499.

Elsewhere, Microsoft’s US execs took a further swipe at Sony for its failure to show-off any playable PS3 software. “We don't want to hide behind videos, we don't want to hide behind CGI movies, we don't want to hide behind false promises – everything we showed on stage was real,†said Xbox supremo J Allard. “Our medium is an interactive one. Showing isn't enough."

Sony, which has yet to reveal any concrete details on its PS3 online strategy ahead of the system’s proposed launch next spring, also drew criticism from chief Xbox officer Robbie Bach, who said: “I was stunned they didn’t announce anything at E3 or TGS. Whatever they do, they’re going to be chasing us for a long, long time.â€

Xbox 360 launches in Europe on December 2nd.

Opinion - J Allard, Corporate VP, Microsoft

“There’s a big gap between what Sony claims and what they’ve shown. You might have thought our X05 presentation was a bit on long side, but they’ll need an eight-hour press conference pretty soon just to give people confidence in that spring ’06 date they’ve mentioned.

There’s a lot of stuff they just don’t have in place yet. They make nice movies, though.

The differentiation in the next generation is going to come through the software and the services. If you put the best tools in the hands of the best developers you’re going to get the best games.

Then you look at the service, and we’ve got a big head start. It takes a lot of hard work to build an online service.â€

I doubt Nintendo will have the same problems. The Xbox 360 will launch in the US 6 months after its unveiling, the Revolution more than a year later. I think Nintendo will be very ready for a worldwide launch that won't be delayed to 2007.

I hear you DCK makes total sense, nintendo as a company won't leave it that late to release their next-gen platform no matter how different it is from the competition.

I'm hopin that the revo gets launched in between May and October 2006 in Europe, USA and Japan. Ninty could try for a worldwide release of Revo

im sure when nintendo promise a 2006 launch for revo im sure they mean worldwide so im sure we wont get it in 2007

September-ish I'll say. I would have said summer time but no one releases consoles in the summer and I don't believe it'll be ready for Spring. So my final answer Bruce... is September-ish

Something like June in Japan, September in the US and November in Europe are pretty reasonable and better than the PS3's scheme if Nintendo's lucky.

i would definatly say after E3 2006 because everybody will be hyped for e3 and so i would say that nintendo should go for a 2006 worldwide release around may time that would be great!!!

I think it'll be before christmas 2006 for us.

Same, November - December - January (2007) would be the months i'd guss for the launch here. A pretty long wait i hate to admit.

Im just waiting to hear more of the features and through them i can guess easier on the release.

Microsoft has massive problems with a world-wide launch and now some guys really think Nintendo which flips every dollar twice to do a worldwide launch? NO WAY. Really that is so crazy - that will never happen.

Microsoft has massive problems with a world-wide launch and now some guys really think Nintendo which flips every dollar twice to do a worldwide launch? NO WAY. Really that is so crazy - that will never happen.

It brings in much more to launch a console before Christmas than it takes to release it worldwide faster. If a Q3 launch is possible in the US, then a EU release in 2006 is also possible.

think we should leave it to the experts!! i mean they are still around and they do no what their doin and the way me and majoras mask are goin i wont be playin twilght princess for a while when it comes out so they can take as long as they want too to bring out the revolution. we love nintendo we do and im sure you all woulnt mind if they kept it back a bit so they could do some more tweakin and fidalin like a 40 year old machanic ouuuuuuu tt tt thats going to cost u lovey.well as long as it dosent bloody cost us ;0)

Check this out.

I can only say that it's coming out during 2006, but it will be after the current fiscal year. We hope to make it a simultaneous worldwide release as much as it's possible.

I hate to say I told you so but I told you so :)

Ha ha ha :p It's happening!