NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
THE ganondorflol

When we are dead.

Gee, your a happy person. 'We just die'. Now I'm really looking forward to it. Still, you d not know that at all.

Of course he doesn't, but you don't know he's wrong either, you don't know that you're right either.

I'm kind of with Kurt here though(as I've stated in the rather similar meaning of life thread) that when you die you just die, that's it, there is nothing after, just like there was nothing before(before you were born).

Someone argued that I don't know there wasnt anything before I was born, which is true, but I don't think you'll know of anything when you die either. Even if there was something of my existence before I was born, if I have no recollection or memory of it, who's to say it counts?

Meh, im going with the nothingness. Hell cant possibly exist because God always forgives. This makes heaven not so great, but meh, what do I know eh?

Doesn't every religion say that other religions are wrong though and any followers of those shall burn in hell etc etc??

When you die there is not even nothing.

No blackness......nothing.

Just a corpse waiting to rot, a liitle heat created by the rotting process and a lot of happy hungry worms.:yay:

Well. After BILLIONS and BILLIONS times BILLIONS of years finally living things on planet Earth have become intelligent enough to wonder what is the point in their existence. What happens after death.

Well I think we should be given an answer, but what if this is the after-life. What if this is hell. What if this is all an illusion?

Bit far fetched but just giving some ideas. Oh and I'm not a strong believer in religion but It doesn't mean I go around bashing it. There was no need The_fish.

After I die, you'll all stop existing because you're figments of my imagination :o

So you're saying that the following emotions helped us up the food chain: anxiety, surprise, guilt, fear, sadness. In what way?

Edit: also, I have a question about evolution - since you obviously know a lot about it (I don't). A lot of people talk about the "modern man" debate and the great leap we have made, and this is constantly improving - why is it that we took tens of thousands of years to get from the first tools to Shakespeare, but we went from having no electricity to talking around the world with handheld plastic phones smaller than our hands in 200 years? This probably seems way off the topic of death now, but in a way - its still the same thing for me. Because my only relief from the certainty of non-existence is that to me, some things really don't add up.

Actually.....Psychology can 'explain' A LOT of that.

Anxiety & Fear: To stay away from danger & survive

Sadness: To do with trying to prevent what's making you sad that from happening again etc.

The others are a lil more complicated and I don't know the answer and can't be bothered to look it up.

Have you not realised animals have emotions too???

It amazed me how the news ?last year? did something on dogs having emotions or something:wtf:....You're like VERY late with that 'news' retards.

And to your question:

Because we weren't as 'smart' then so weren't in the right frame of mind of doing things like that; it depends on the resources you're given as well.

The same thing happens in evolution an 'acceleration' though inaccurate is a good way of explaining. Once we got thumbs to produce tools, and started eating meat to increase our protein + brain size/activity or whatever, our evolution 'accelerated' to what we are today.

So you're saying that the following emotions helped us up the food chain: anxiety, surprise, guilt, fear, sadness. In what way?

These feelings allowed us to be sentient, intelligent and create society. Without society, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Edit: also, I have a question about evolution - since you obviously know a lot about it (I don't). A lot of people talk about the "modern man" debate and the great leap we have made, and this is constantly improving - why is it that we took tens of thousands of years to get from the first tools to Shakespeare, but we went from having no electricity to talking around the world with handheld plastic phones smaller than our hands in 200 years? This probably seems way off the topic of death now, but in a way - its still the same thing for me. Because my only relief from the certainty of non-existence is that to me, some things really don't add up.

I think you'll find some societies were developed way before this, such as the Egyptians, Mayans, Chinese, Romans etc. However, these societies were isolated and not entirely stable, and so all collapsed. However, more recently societies developed worldwide, and were able to communicate with one another. Additionally, inventions such as the transistor opened up limitless possibilites, allowing the human race to take leaps and bounds.

But then that's more about history than evolution.

Yeah, you're being a bit of a knob here, what with your eletist atheistic stance. In fact, it's you who is being close minded, Conzer is a nice guy, I don't see why you have to label him as the archetypal Christian. In fact, I don't think I actually know any particularly close minded Christians. The fact remains that just because someone is close minded, it doesn't mean that their religion is to blame. In saying this, you're being just as bad as those religious zealots that turn up at your door and don't take no for an answer. Cut it out.

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make.

I think we move on to level 1-2.

I sure hope so.

Yeah, you're being a bit of a knob here, what with your eletist atheistic stance. In fact, it's you who is being close minded, Conzer is a nice guy, I don't see why you have to label him as the archetypal Christian. In fact, I don't think I actually know any particularly close minded Christians. The fact remains that just because someone is close minded, it doesn't mean that their religion is to blame. In saying this, you're being just as bad as those religious zealots that turn up at your door and don't take no for an answer. Cut it out.

Your bang on the money man very good post.

Anxeity - Triggers such reactions as the fight or flight reaction, helping us to react to danger and be aware of it before it is too late. It now remains because it has had no reason to die out, might still play a part in survival.

Surprise - Kind of the same, when we get surprised we tend to scream. Why would we scream? To alert those around us of danger, scream and someone hears, they know something is wrong. Again, remained with us because it has had no reason to die out, might still play a part in survival.

Guilt - Can't really explain this one beyond reciprocation and bonding with others/interacting, somehow guilt helped us survive? Helped us be emphatic?

Fear - Well, kind of the same as anxiety.

Sadness - Kind of the same as guilt, it helped us empathise and relate to others, possibly getting a favour in return, good interaction led to the development of a society, and us being a social species. There is no denying the human race is one big society.

That's the thing with evolution, it's a case of survival of the fittest, but sometimes things don't 'evolve out' over time if they are not hampering survival. I forget the name for such things that still remain in organisms through evolution, from when they were needed to survive, but no longer so. I think the appendix is one such example, and erm...dewclaws? I think that's the name of the thing I'm thinking of.

I never used to understand evolution myself, but it's kind of like a natural breeding process. Like how greyhounds are bred to be fast, their speed is related to their genes.

Speed could be used as an example of evolution actually, say a group of some animal lives near a pack of fast animals like cheetahs. All the fast animals can outrun the cheetahs and survive, whereas the slow ones will get caught and killed, and with them the 'slow' genes, being as they are now dead, they can no longer reproduce and pass on their 'slow' genes. Given that it happens per generation, it's quite a slow process, but eventually over time, that species living near those cheetahs(assuming nothing changes) evolve into faster animals. I hadn't meant to make such a long post, but hopefully it helps with anyone not understanding evolution(of course all the examples and explanations are madeup by me, and therefore shouldn't be taken to be accurate at all)

I think the first example was limited by biology, and the process of evolution, which is a very slight and slow process. The second example however, is a technological difference, not a biological one. We got more intelligent after those tools, developed language and poetry etc. When electricity and mobiles telephones came along, we were already intelligent enough to use/develop them, we were already capable. If that makes sense?

I think the whole issue of afterlifes, and there being something after we die, is just a human issue. How much of your life and things around you do you believe in without proof? I'd be willing to say not alot, whereas alot of people tend to baselessly believe there is some sort of afterlife(or rather refuse to believe there is nothing after we die). Someone(Think it was Shorty himself) asked how we can be so calm about it believing it to be true that there is nothing after we die, why aren't we worried that we'll reach the end of our lives with a ton of regrets? I think it's the reason itself, the fact that we will be dead and no longer existant, and therefore actually unable to have any regrets beyond those last few minutes.

For the record I am a total atheist and fortean, I will not be swayed on the unknown until it is solidly presented to me....

If you are a follower of logic and science though, try this for a take on the quantum theory of life after death:

http://www.opuslux.com/lifeafterdeath.htm

Yes, because the only fish there is is the Jesus fish.

I don't just bash chrisitanity-I bash religion.

I don't think you get the link. The fish is a symbol of Jesus, afaik, I don't think there's a Jesus Fish. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Fair enough.

Oh, and sorry for the insults, I get people like this every day at school (even some of the teachers), and it annoys me massively. I apologize.

Weren't you the one who was complaining about spelling before. Again, as far as I know, your location sounds as if its in the UK.

---

As for my opinion. I like to believe in the afterlife. If you live a good life (by no means a perfect life, just a good life) to go to heaven. If you're a shit, you go to hell. I have a pretty Christian view on it, but by no means am I orthodox. You can't prove that I'm wrong, I can't prove that you're wrong.

I love love the way how Fish and KurtR have a vented hate of religion. Sure, some radical aspects fuck up the world a little, however that kind is the kind that sells newspapers and attracts rating on TV; therefore its the only part of religion that you'll see. It does a lot of good to, provides hope and happiness to millions. If you don't necessarily belive in it then there's no need to flame someone - if they're happy doing it peacefully, let them.

I think we move on to level 1-2.

No, i think you usually start at the beggining/half of the level again.

That means...

Religion confuses me. I don't understand why people would subscribe to a seemingly random system of beliefs. But I don't have any problem with people who are religious... I just don't quite understand them.

I think it's most likel there is nothing after death, just trouble for the people you're leaving behind in the real world.

Religion confuses me. I don't understand why people would subscribe to a seemingly random system of beliefs. But I don't have any problem with people who are religious... I just don't quite understand them.

It confuses me as it generally contradicts what its teaches. The prophets behind the religions seem to have the right ideas but people have twisted and manipulated what they have said to generally control people in my opinion

I'd say people choose religions because of what seems to 'fit in' with there thoughts about the after life and other things. Like people choose whats more believable in a way.

Then why were we here in the first place? Who put us here? Why does the Earth exist, with dirt that feeds plants, plants that make air and grow food we can eat... what's the point in the existence of anything (I'm not going to say "the meaning of life", because that's the other thread, but rather the meaning of everything, dead, alive, stone, flesh, molecules and atoms) if it simply stops existing one day?

Also I feel that the human mind is way too complicated to be entirely scientific. Our conscience can't just be something that's defined by electric patterns, nerves and muscles. If everything were scientific, we wouldn't have evolved to have feelings that are of no benefit to our efficiency or self-preservation - like anger, bitterness, sadness, depression, thoughtfulness. All we'd need is a sexual instinct and big claws to fight off predators. I honestly don't think science can explain the human being, which is a grain of hope I have that our minds won't just abruptly disappear when we die.

That's the difference between you and I. Because you find it hard to explain something and have a hard time accepting things that don't have reasons, you try to explain them with religion. I've always experienced that as a sign of weakness as religion basically takes away the need and challenge for you to answer things you don't know.

The human mind can be explained perfectly well with evolution. All the emotions we experience are key in complex society we have evolved. It's cruel to say that all we need is claws and sexual lust, because obviously that wouldn't have made us one of the most succesful species on the planet.

You just die.

I agree.

It's like sleeping, with no dreams, resting or waking up. :)

For the record I am a total atheist and fortean, I will not be swayed on the unknown until it is solidly presented to me....

If you are a follower of logic and science though, try this for a take on the quantum theory of life after death:

http://www.opuslux.com/lifeafterdeath.htm

What is a fortean? I swear I never seen that word before, and then it popped up like 10 times yesterday! Admittedly 9 of those times were probably in the same book and on the same subject, but it's still weird! Thanks for the quantum physics thing, I tried reading it last night but I could only think of AS physics and get confused and stuff :( I just read it through again though, and it is rather interesting, it helped me understand some principles of quantum physics too. A very interesting theory! I find it hard to believe that a consciousness is JUST made up of light though, otherwise, why do we even have bodies?

One thing it does make me think quite alot of Dust, and the Dust Theory from His Dark Materials, it's all quite interesting indeed!

I like to belive that that tingly shoot that you sometimes get when your on the toilet having a poo or something lives on and floats around.

You're a stupid, stupid idiot. We're talking about something serious and you have to go and ruin it. I agree, Shorty, everything exists for a reason. Sure, the big bang may be true, but it happened for a reason. Maybe that reason was God. There is no evidence God doesn't exist, and explosions happen because something- someone triggers them.

Gee, your a happy person. 'We just die'. Now I'm really looking forward to it. Still, you d not know that at all.

"Still, you do not know that at all."

Neither do you, Mr Happy Place.

If you are good you get to watch never ending repeats of Neighbours.

If you are bad you have to watch never ending repeats of Eastenders.

Christ... I hope I've been good.

I think of death a bit like how you die on Metroid Prime, a bit of static then it's like a TV turning off.

Then you are clearly insane, and need to see a doctor. And I'm sorry for being happy, but its better than being depressed.

Sign in to follow this