NEurope
david.dakota

Wii: Not As Quiet As Iwata Promised?

I've noticed over the past few days that my Wii seems to be getting a little noisy. I couldnt swear that the noises are new, but i've only noticed them this week.

Occasionally, the Wii seems to 'clunk' when starting to spin a disk.

I've also noticed a whirr, which can only really be either the fan or the disk. Its near constant, which is a little annoying. Considering the Gamcube's fan was pretty quiet, i can't see Nintendo opting for a louder fan, so perhaps it is the disk.

Has anyone else noticed either of these, or is my Wii in need of a service?

I have heard some noises on mine, only really wen playing on Red Steel there i can hear it constantly. My wii seems to 'clunk' whenever i load the wii menu up after playing a game and if i load any other channel while i still have a disk in the slot. Would be interesting to see if this happens to everyone.

The only sound I hear is when I change channel, during games I hear nothing.

If Iwata promised it would be quiet. Fair enough. He never promised it would be silent.

Yeah, I think I've only really noticed it playing Red Steel where it's kinda constant.

meh, its hardly a monster in size or noise. But you cant take all of Iwata's statements so seriously, im sure at E3 2004 or 2005 he said he'd see smash bros online for launch. Could be PR or maybe he has overly optimistic intentions.

It is noisy. Nintendo representatives lie on a regular basis.

Examples: Nintendo rep lied about Wii being region free. Nintendo rep lied about Twilight Princess being the best zelda game ever made.

It's an awful lot quieter than the GameCube....

Agreed..

The clunking noise isnt an issue, all optical drives do it. Its just the laser lens attempting to focus.

Nintendo rep lied about Twilight Princess being the best zelda game ever made.

You can't lie when voicing an opinion.

Nintendo rep lied about Twilight Princess being the best zelda game ever made.
Pretty debatable, but it reached that milestone for me.

Just a opinion, can't say they lied.

And my Wii is quiet, no one accused MS for X360 being noisy, and yes, it's noisier than Wii. every DVD drive makes sounds, it's a disc spinning in there, even a PC drive will give out sound when reading at full speed.

thing is... Wii is almost completely silent without the DVD, so; you'll hear the disc drive loading, through the silence, that's all you'll hear, if you wanna hear.

I only got those noises when, after putting my component cable in, I had inadvertantly moved the stand so it was blocking the air flow...when I fixed it, the noises have stopped

Mine's getting nosier. When the disc is idling away it sounds like a harrier jet wraming up and then when it reads I get the wrrrr-clunk. There's also a beep sound when it starts to read the disc.

It may be the surface that you're playing on, when mine was on a glass surface it seemed really loud, yet when i put a magazine under it it was fine.

Its not that big a deal. Honestly people needed really little reason to moan. Wii hardly makes any noise, compared to the 360 is makes no noise at all :heh:

It is noisy. Nintendo representatives lie on a regular basis.

Examples: Nintendo rep lied about Wii being region free. Nintendo rep lied about Twilight Princess being the best zelda game ever made.

And you lied when you said you were leaving, shit happens. It's not as if it's as bad as the PS2 was.

Its not that big a deal. Honestly people needed really little reason to moan. Wii hardly makes any noise, compared to the 360 is makes no noise at all :heh:

I agree the 360 sounds like a generator compared to the Wii and PS3.

I've only recently noticed this....

A lot of the time I'm playing my Wii I have my laptop so don't notice the noise as my laptop's hum is loud enough.

But I've noticed that it is quite load, it does always make the click sound when going back to the wii menu guess this is it checking the disc so that the image is up on the channels when it appears on screen.

one load thing I have noticed it with Red Steel the disc drive constantly clicking, obviously to just stream off the game...didn't notice it with Zelda as much, guessing Zelda loads each section up at once to prevent this.

But yeah the Wii is a lot louder than I expected but at the end of the day it's no real big thing it is still so much quieter than my creaky old xbox....

Mine just randomally makes a loud banging type of noise, when the disk is in, it never done it when i first got it, only started about a week ago, but i think it is becoming more common to hear it.

Mine doesn't make any significant noise to speak of. It whirs a bit, but unless you have it strapped to your head it's not particulary noticeable.

Either your Wii is faulty, or you're so puristic it's sad. My Wii only makes a soft, hardly noticable blowing sound (like a little 'woosh') and it only makes disk noises when booting a game.